2 of 2
Macarons with Rose’s Classic Buttercream (+ a few other treats)
Posted: 26 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Those look great, Anne! All these posts of macarons are making me so hungry and really wanting to try to make them myself. Nice job!

Posted: 26 February 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!

It’s odd, because even though mine aren’t perfect yet, the process now seems amazingly simple.

And it is a fun process, becuase they are so good no matter how they come out!

Posted: 27 February 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

To me it is all about good timing. Like when to stop whipping, when to stop folding, when to stop drying, when to stop baking and all that. But it all boils down to practice makes perfect.

Posted: 30 March 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay!  Batch 3 is the charm!

I used this recipe for the macaron part http://www.mykitchentreasures.com/2010/01/karkady-macarons-wih-cassis-butter.html , except that I added 1/8 t. salt to the sugar that goes in the egg whites.

These have a strawberry/pineapple/coconut/cream cheese buttercream filling. 

I also made the little box—I did a template on 8-1/2 x 11, and it makes a box that will hold 4.  If I had some legal-sized card stock, I think it would hold 6, but, alas!  The plastic containers (formerly holding super-yummy orgnaic kale) show the whole happy batch!

photo 97f6c984-f2e3-473d-9211-d83570dc589d.jpg

Macarons photo 100_5341-Copy.jpg

I wish Rose would do a macaron recipe so we could “officially” post Show & Tells here—macarons are so incredibly fun!!!!

I’m making more tomorrow and fillling them with my two ganache experiments set forth in another thread.

Happy day, all—and Happy Easter/other applicable holiday!

—ak

Posted: 30 March 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Anne, question here. I have been making candied ginger, and the process is exactly the same as making candied orange peel. I don’t know which I love more: the syrup or the candied ginger. Anyway, my syrup keeps crystallizing after a number of days, and I’m not sure why. Does this happen to you? Do you redissolve it? I haven’t tried that. I am only using sugar and water for the candying, I am not adding corn syrup.

Posted: 30 March 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

They’re so pretty Anne, and the flavour sounds delicious! I’ve accumulated quite a few egg whites lately with all of the yolk-rich Easter baking I’ve done….I think it’s time I tackled macarons, especially now, before it gets humid.

Anne in NC - 30 March 2013 04:12 PM

I wish Rose would do a macaron recipe so we could “officially” post Show & Tells here—macarons are so incredibly fun!!!!

I also hope Rose will include macarons in her new book - I would trust her recipe and instructions implicitly. I was thinking of trying Bouchon’s recipe which uses an Italian meringue or Ottolenghi’s for the interesting flavours.

Posted: 30 March 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

That is very nice..I have tried SO many macaron recipes. They are all very similar. But I did some modifications of my own and have since kept the one that works for me. I personally tried the Italian , but to me it’s just extra work. French is French and to me its quicker.  As for the filling, that is the easy part. I don’t think about filling until the cookies are baked.

Posted: 30 March 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!

@k1b1 - I haven’t had any crystallization in my leftover syrup, and it’s been around since Christmas.  I keep it in the back of my fridge, in a mason jar, FWIW.  Maybe yours is more condensed than mine?  Mine’s super-thick, but maybe yours is even more concentrated?

@sophis - Oh, yes, do make macarons!  I should add that I let mine sit as long as it takes (after piping, before baking) until I can run my finger across the top of mine without marking it—not the 15 minutes mentioned in the recipe.  The chocolate ones took about 20 minutes, but this last batch, made on a warm weekend, took nearly an hour.  What I have read bout the Italian meringue method is that it can be more reliable (less finicky), but most people who have done both (and discussed it on their blogs) ultimately prefer the appearance, taste and texture of the french.  My first couple of batches taught me what to look for, so I plan to stick with the simplicity of the French method.  Either way you go, though—or both—will be super-fun!!

@prettycake - Thank you—and thank you for the initial macaron inspiraiton!  I agree—the recipes are all very similar—EXCEPT, I have seen some where they do equal weight nuts and powdered sugar.  I think it comes down to that half/half thing—it’s supposed to be half powdered sugar, half almond flour, but half/half weight or volume?  Sugar weighs about 2x almond flour, so most receips seem to approach the half/half volume (thus having a difference in weight).  Cook’s Illustrated does half/half weight, but I have’nt tried theirs, as I am very happy with the proportions at the link above.

—ak

Posted: 31 March 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Anne, I wouldn’t say mine is super thick. I didn’t know if it happened because I kept dipping into it. I’ll just have to make another batch and experiment.

Posted: 31 March 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

K1B1 - I’ve dipped into mine several times, too, so I doubt it’s that.  Mine is massively thick, though.  I would think it either has to do with the thickness or just a property of the ginger, as compared to the oranges.  Did your dipped ginger get crystals on it?  My oranges didn’t.  If yours did—like lots of candied ginger does—it might be a difference in how the recipe is prepared—the recipe might call for you to “do something” to cause crystalization on the ginger pieces.  I know mine were simmered without stirring, and I would think that, plus the acid in the oranges, would prohibit crystallization.  Ginger might not have that anti-crystallization property.  Not that orange definitely does—it’s only a guess on my part.

Posted: 31 March 2013 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, third time is very much a charm!  Those look perfect and I’ll bet they tasted great.  Nice work!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

2 of 2