Giant cupcakes
Posted: 19 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-12-27

One thing that is becoming very popular in my area are those giant cupcakes that can be made from the molds sold by Wilton, Nordicware, etc.  They are a sight to behold and there are a lot of cool things you can do with them such as decorating and filling.  I am wondering if anyone has ever made one of these and if so, how much recipe did you use?  Also, what kind of adjustments did you make?  I have to imagine that they cook differently due to how deep the mold seems to be.  Anyone have experience/pointers with these?

Posted: 20 February 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi.  I have the Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan.  I cook each side separately so that it cooks evenly.  I flled each side up more than halfway.  It is a cute pan!

Posted: 20 February 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  749
Joined  2012-01-12
fourarchangels - 19 February 2013 06:59 PM

One thing that is becoming very popular in my area are those giant cupcakes that can be made from the molds sold by Wilton, Nordicware, etc.  They are a sight to behold and there are a lot of cool things you can do with them such as decorating and filling.  I am wondering if anyone has ever made one of these and if so, how much recipe did you use?  Also, what kind of adjustments did you make?  I have to imagine that they cook differently due to how deep the mold seems to be.  Anyone have experience/pointers with these?

Hi fourarchangels,

I made these giant cupcakes about two years ago for my son’s13 birthday that I brought to school..  I have the silicone pan..  on this one I used the white cake mix.  The pan tells you how far to fill in the batter and bake it like normal cake.  It is not complicated.

Posted: 21 February 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi fourarchangels,

I agree with Kathy1, it’s a very cute pan.

I?ve baked recipes that are intended for loaf and bundt pans successfully in the Wilton pan, which has a 10-cup capacity. You don?t want any more than 7 cups of batter, ~4 for the base and ~3 for the top. Recipes intended for 10-12 cup bundt pans usually produce enough batter; I double recipes intended for a loaf pan.

I usually bake the batter in the cupcake base for a few minutes (10-15min if the total baking time for the recipe is 45-60min respectively) before adding the batter to the top. It works but you do have to work very quickly to grease and fill the top.

Kathy1 - 20 February 2013 02:21 PM

I cook each side separately so that it cooks evenly.

Kathy1, I’ve never liked removing the partially baked cake from the oven…... I think I’ll try your method next time.