1 of 2
Agbay Cake Leveler
Posted: 21 February 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I saw this on another site. The people there seem to love it. I’m seriously considering buying this. Does anyone have experience with this cake leveler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqcJE94JgQ

Posted: 21 February 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Looks slick!  Unfortunately, another thing to store….

Posted: 21 February 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I bought one when I made my first wedding cake.  I was terrified to torte a 16 inch cake with a knife.  It works amazing, although it is quite big to store.  They do have an agbay junior which would be better for regular sized cakes.  I am very tempted to get it.  The agbay tortes cakes evenly and does not tear the cake.  I think it would be a great investment.  Just be careful when using it.  The blade is very very very sharp.

I only have the single blade one, but they do have one with a double blade, so you can torte your cake into 3.

I have too many gadgets and gizmos for my own good.

Posted: 21 February 2013 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I have a storage issue too. My house is evolving into a bakery supply warehouse. However, I think this is something worth making room for.

I torted my very first cake the other day.  Although it came out good for a first try, I’m sure it wasn’t evenly divided. I used the toothpick method. I filled the cake with a layer of jam and it turned out delicious. It is still moist and tender 3 days later.

Liza, if I had the one with the dual blades, would I need to remove one blade if I only wanted one cut or could the extra blade be lifted above the cake?

Also, would it be worthwhile for me to buy the dual bladed model because I don’t want to eventually buy another down the road. Although I’ve never torted before, I like it and can see myself experimenting more and possibly wanting multiple cuts per cake.

I’ve called the company and am awaiting a reply.

Posted: 21 February 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

it doesn’t look like the blades can be removed but it looks like each blade has a separate knob for height adjustment, so you shouldn’t have any problems.  ( I took a look at mine)  I would definitely buy the double blade, then you have the option to make more layers if you want.

I also noticed that the agbay junior now has the double blade as well.  I’m so tempted!!!!

I definitely have the same problem here.  I have baking supplies and cake decorating supplies that I haven’t used yet.  I am making my inlaws 50th wedding anniversary cake in April and I ended up buying a special mat to roll out the fondant.  It is called The Mat and is made by SweetWise.  I don’t usually use fondant but I want to make the cake gold,
so I need to cover it in fondant and then airbrush it gold. ( airbrush system - another piece of equipment that I bought but still haven’t used.  I think I am more afraid to use it than anything )  Apparently you can roll your fondant out quite thin with this double mat system.  Can’t wait to try it.

I need a whole separate room just for baking and cake decorating supplies.

Needless to say, If I die and my husband sells all my stuff, he would be a rich man.  LOL!!!

Posted: 21 February 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25
Flour Girl - 22 February 2013 12:52 AM

Also, would it be worthwhile for me to buy the dual bladed model because I don’t want to eventually buy another down the road. Although I’ve never torted before, I like it and can see myself experimenting more and possibly wanting multiple cuts per cake.

You may want to evaluate the dual blade based on the height of your pans—if you usually make only 2” high cakes, it may be possible that you would never use 2 blades—then again, you may want to experiment with 3” high cakes.  Just a thought and something I would consider…

Posted: 21 February 2013 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Very good point Sherrie

Posted: 22 February 2013 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Liza - 22 February 2013 02:52 AM

it doesn’t look like the blades can be removed but it looks like each blade has a separate knob for height adjustment, so you shouldn’t have any problems.  ( I took a look at mine)  I would definitely buy the double blade, then you have the option to make more layers if you want.

I also noticed that the agbay junior now has the double blade as well.  I’m so tempted!!!!

I definitely have the same problem here.  I have baking supplies and cake decorating supplies that I haven’t used yet.  I am making my inlaws 50th wedding anniversary cake in April and I ended up buying a special mat to roll out the fondant.  It is called The Mat and is made by SweetWise.  I don’t usually use fondant but I want to make the cake gold,
so I need to cover it in fondant and then airbrush it gold. ( airbrush system - another piece of equipment that I bought but still haven’t used.  I think I am more afraid to use it than anything )  Apparently you can roll your fondant out quite thin with this double mat system.  Can’t wait to try it.

I need a whole separate room just for baking and cake decorating supplies.

Needless to say, If I die and my husband sells all my stuff, he would be a rich man.  LOL!!!

. What a special thing to do for your in-laws! A gold cake sounds perfect. Have you decided which cake and fillings yet? Have you worked with fondant on a large scale before? Please convey congratulations to your in-laws.

I never heard of The Mat. It sounds very cool and I love the idea of an airbrush system. I’ve never worked with fondant.  I’ve barely piped. I do want to get into learning how to decorate. Not on the level you achieve, but on an acceptable level for home style baking.  I’ve been looking into tips and have a cake decorating library book on hold for me.

Thank you for looking into the double blades.  I’m thinking of going with the deluxe double blade. I read some reviews and they said they wished the Junior could accommodate 14 inch cakes.  I’m sure it will be more than I need.

Is Agbay still open for business ? I called twice today and sent an email. I’ll be very disappointed if they are no longer in business.

The one cake I torted was 10x3.

I have a lot of pans I haven’t used yet too. Probably because I keep making similar recipes. I’m ready to try something new.

Posted: 22 February 2013 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 22 February 2013 03:21 AM
Flour Girl - 22 February 2013 12:52 AM

You may want to evaluate the dual blade based on the height of your pans—if you usually make only 2” high cakes, it may be possible that you would never use 2 blades—then again, you may want to experiment with 3” high cakes.  Just a thought and something I would consider…

. Sherrie, I used a 3 inch pan but the cake did not achieve a 3 inch height. i have 2 inch and 1 1/2 inch pans but rarely use them. I probably won’t use more than one blade on most occasions. Can one blade be removed and stored until it would be needed?

Posted: 22 February 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I have only worked with fondant a few times simply because it ends up being so thick when I roll it out and I personally don’t really care for the taste of it.  But I am hoping I can get it quite thin with this mat.  I am going to have to practice a few times before I do the actual cake.  I am still scared to work with fondant.

There are just so many more options for decorating when the cake is covered in fondant.

I mostly use Rose’s recipes exclucively so I will probably make the all ocassion downey yellow buttercake with a stabilized vanilla whipped cream filling ( or maybe one of her fruit cloud creams ) and white chocolate mousseline.  I know, not very exciting but my sister-in-laws want something that will please most of the people at the party.

I personally think this is her best cake, it tastes wonderful and bakes perfect everytime.  ( I also use vanilla extract and well as vanilla bean paste in it ),

I think they are still in business, or at least I hope so.  They make a great product.  Hopefully you hear from them soon.  I bought mine from a cake decorating supply store here in Canada a couple years ago but I don’t know if they are selling it still or you have to order it from the manufacturer on their website.

Posted: 22 February 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I love that cake. It always bakes to perfection. I’ve never made the cloud creams but I’m sure I will once I get the Agbay cake leveler.

I was able to reach Maureen this morning. I decided to get the largest one with the double blades. Maureen explained the top blade can be raised to the highest level if I chose to use just one blade. There would be no need to remove the blade.

In my conversation, I mentioned you were helping me and that you were very happy with your purchase.

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

I’m excited!

Posted: 22 February 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Congratulations Flour Girl!!!!  You will love it.

Posted: 22 February 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

ooh what an interesting gadget! I ll be waiting to hear your review on it Flour girl =) Meanhile , Liza i too bought The Mat , maybe 6 months ago and yet to use it , i keep puttin it off cause i love working with buttercream and everytime i have tried fondant it either gets rolled too thick and hence i get a rounded cake or the mousseline cant take the weight of the fondant and the whole thing just becomes a piddly mess =/ Fearful all that money spent on buying the MAT will be a colossal loss if it doesn work!! Please do let me know how it goes for you!

Posted: 22 February 2013 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Liza - 22 February 2013 06:10 PM

Congratulations Flour Girl!!!!  You will love it.

Thank you!!! I can’t wait to get it

Posted: 22 February 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
chocoholic - 22 February 2013 07:22 PM

ooh what an interesting gadget! I ll be waiting to hear your review on it Flour girl =) Meanhile , Liza i too bought The Mat , maybe 6 months ago and yet to use it , i keep puttin it off cause i love working with buttercream and everytime i have tried fondant it either gets rolled too thick and hence i get a rounded cake or the mousseline cant take the weight of the fondant and the whole thing just becomes a piddly mess =/ Fearful all that money spent on buying the MAT will be a colossal loss if it doesn work!! Please do let me know how it goes for you!

Will do Chocoholic! I’m sure I’ll be posting lots of pictures.

Posted: 23 February 2013 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

I have one of these, and bought it more than 10 years ago, when it was new to the market.  It’s still going strong and I’m glad I bought it at the price it was all those years ago.

It’s the single blade model and I’ve never had any trouble with it.  The blade will definitely do some serious damage to your hand/fingers so be very careful.

I bought it because I was terrified of torting cakes; that they would not be even or level…. and here’s what made all the difference, for me at least:  during a class the chef asked for a volunteer to torte a dozen 12” round cakes into three layers each (the cakes were 2 inches high).  I volunteered immediately even though I was so afraid that I’d mess up everyone else’s cakes.  The first two were not great, but by the time I got to the last one, I’d gained so much confidence and ability (but really, it was the confidence that comes through practice) they were spot on perfect.  You know what they say about practice! so now I don’t pull out the agbay unless someone has a few dozen cakes to put away; and if having someone else top/torte the cakes while I do something else is worth the cost of the knife.  I need to make every penny count when it comes to work.

After that, I learned how to make caramel without being afraid I was going to set off smoke detectors and the Ansel fire suppression system…. that took a lot longer than learning how to torte cakes evenly, LOL!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

1 of 2