2 of 2
Agbay Cake Leveler
Posted: 23 February 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 23 February 2013 04:03 AM

I have one of these, and bought it more than 10 years ago, when it was new to the market.  It’s still going strong and I’m glad I bought it at the price it was all those years ago.

It’s the single blade model and I’ve never had any trouble with it.  The blade will definitely do some serious damage to your hand/fingers so be very careful.

I bought it because I was terrified of torting cakes; that they would not be even or level…. and here’s what made all the difference, for me at least:  during a class the chef asked for a volunteer to torte a dozen 12” round cakes into three layers each (the cakes were 2 inches high).  I volunteered immediately even though I was so afraid that I’d mess up everyone else’s cakes.  The first two were not great, but by the time I got to the last one, I’d gained so much confidence and ability (but really, it was the confidence that comes through practice) they were spot on perfect.  You know what they say about practice! so now I don’t pull out the agbay unless someone has a few dozen cakes to put away; and if having someone else top/torte the cakes while I do something else is worth the cost of the knife.  I need to make every penny count when it comes to work.

After that, I learned how to make caramel without being afraid I was going to set off smoke detectors and the Ansel fire suppression system…. that took a lot longer than learning how to torte cakes evenly, LOL!

LOL

I had to buy a bread slicing guide because my slices are pathetic. I think I have posted on this forum about that issue once or twice.  I don’t use it all the time but it comes in very handy when I have company.

Maybe its my eyes? I have trouble leveling the batter too.

My family really liked having a filling in their cake so I want to do it more often. Having multiple layers sounds like something I would like to do too.

I know it is something I didn’t have to have but I’m sure I will enjoy using it and I think my people will be very impressed with the results.

2 of 2