Finally done my latest macarons
Posted: 01 March 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  681
Joined  2012-01-12

I finished these this morning..

Filling is Orange Cream and Rose Water butter cream.. top is decorated w/ melted piped white chocolate.

Image Attachments
P1020283.jpg

Posted: 01 March 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful!  Your piped white chocolate is so shiny—it’s almost opalescent!

Posted: 01 March 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank U Anne,
Yes I dusted them w/ Pearl luster dust.  I like it this way .  it makes the design stand out.  smile

Posted: 01 March 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

your macarons look beautiful!  would love to taste them too!

Posted: 01 March 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u Jeanette grin

Posted: 02 March 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Your macarons look fantastic, prettycake! The piping work you did on top looks absolutely exquisite. Excellent job here!

I have never made macarons before, but I really want to try making them. Can you tell me how large in diameter you make these? Thanks.

- MP smile

Posted: 02 March 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank U MP smile

To pipe them I used a round tip that is about 1/2 wide (the opening across)..  when they are baked ,  the size is about or like that of an Oreo.  What I noticed, is it is very important to bake them for 15 minutes at 315,  that way you will not end up with a hollow cookie.  And when I pipe them,  it is soft enough not to have a pointy top, so I do not need to press any peaks that stick up after I pipe.  Even if there is a very slight “bump” on top,  that will disappear when baking.

Posted: 02 March 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
prettycake - 02 March 2013 10:19 PM

Thank U MP smile

To pipe them I used a round tip that is about 1/2 wide (the opening across)..  when they are baked ,  the size is about or like that of an Oreo.  What I noticed, is it is very important to bake them for 15 minutes at 315,  that way you will not end up with a hollow cookie.  And when I pipe them,  it is soft enough not to have a pointy top, so I do not need to press any peaks that stick up after I pipe.  Even if there is a very slight “bump” on top,  that will disappear when baking.

Thanks for the information and advice here, prettycake. I really appreciate it. When you pipe the batter, do you just pipe it as one drop directly above the baking sheet, or do you pipe it by swirling the batter in a circular shape on to the sheet (kind of like piping a swirl on a cupcake)? I hope that question made sense. And is this piped batter approximately the size of an Oreo, or is that after baking? Since I’ve never made these before I don’t know if they expand a lot (in height or diameter) during baking.

Also, do you let the batter form a crust before putting it in the oven? Thanks!

- MP smile

Posted: 02 March 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

We use Pierre Herme’s recipe/technique (based on Italian meringue - adding syrup to beaten whites, then more -unbeaten - whites are added and the batter is “deflated” by stirring; it really does resemble magma (flowing lava) but that description doesn’t help if you’ve never seen it, I know!).

We use an Ateco wide round tip, #8 usually; and pipe as if you are making dots - gentle, steady pressure and then a flick of the wrist to cut off any point that threatens to develop.  Almost like making a lowercase e. Practice makes perfect!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 03 March 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Monsieur P?tisserie - 02 March 2013 11:02 PM
prettycake - 02 March 2013 10:19 PM

Thank U MP smile

Thanks for the information and advice here, prettycake. I really appreciate it. When you pipe the batter, do you just pipe it as one drop directly above the baking sheet, or do you pipe it by swirling the batter in a circular shape on to the sheet (kind of like piping a swirl on a cupcake)? I hope that question made sense. And is this piped batter approximately the size of an Oreo, or is that after baking? Since I’ve never made these before I don’t know if they expand a lot (in height or diameter) during baking.

Also, do you let the batter form a crust before putting it in the oven? Thanks!

- MP smile

Hi MP grin
I let them dry at least 40 mins. When it is Summer, I use a small fan and they dry w/ in 25 mins. Julia Usher said she uses a blow dryer/hair dryer. She is a fabulous pastry chef. I pipe mine “12’o clock” and then stop squeezing then pull away. I do not swirl. I know swirling works well too, but I am not comfortable. When piping is done I tap the cookie sheet a few times on the counter to make trapped bubbles surface to the top.

Posted: 03 March 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
prettycake - 03 March 2013 05:57 PM

Hi MP grin
I let them dry at least 40 mins. When it is Summer, I use a small fan and they dry w/ in 25 mins. Julia Usher said she uses a blow dryer/hair dryer. She is a fabulous pastry chef. I pipe mine “12’o clock” and then stop squeezing then pull away. I do not swirl. I know swirling works well too, but I am not comfortable. When piping is done I tap the cookie sheet a few times on the counter to make trapped bubbles surface to the top.

Okay, thanks for the additional advice and information here. I’m not sure when I’ll finally give these a go, but when I do I’ll keep all of this stuff in mind so things work out.

Posted: 04 March 2013 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Wonderful work. Top decoration with white chocolate is excellent idea Prettycake. Inspiring!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 04 March 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u cm grin