Small Wedding Cake - First
Posted: 02 March 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Of course, this is not my first tiered cake - nor my first time making these candied orange roses.  Yet, this is the first cake for a wedding…as others have stated it is adding the word wedding as opposed to celebration or birthday.  I actually added a rose to the front but did not capture that in the photo….(last minute decision).  I tired or trying to smooth the sides even with chilling and having fresh buttercream…... so I didn’t on the bottom tier.  (hope the Bride likes it). 

I was all prepped to do a bottom white tier (including torting) but last minute change to Sweet Potato came in.  I toyed (mental gymnastics as one poster has said) with torting the sweet potato and dismissed that.  I ended up making a third layer (without making it thinner)....not sure of reason why ...but I decided to use it. 

So, the bottom tier is 3 layers 10” sweet potato without coconut or walnuts and vanilla buttercream filling.  The 6” tier is two layers sweet potato coconut/walnuts with orange buttercream filling.  All outside is vanilla buttercream filling. 

My piping is still not the neatest ...I do have to work on that.  Meanwhile, I could not help but laugh.  Before I found this forum, I had made the Mouselline Buttercream and often had hard sugar in it.  I still preferred it because it tasted better.  On finding this forum, I learned my mistakes and learned tips such as having thermometer and measuring well.  Now, I freely allow extra (sometimes intentionally) egg whites.  For this batch, I made extra sugar syrup to ensure I was not short.  I just love the results and the texture!! 

I had the cake in and out of fridge (to chill buttercream).  I took it out at 6:30 am, the ceremony is at 11:00.  So I guess it will be proper temp by the time it is cut.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 March 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s beautiful!!! I love how you piped. The combination of flavors sounds delicious and very unique.

Congratulations on what I am sure was a nerve-racking project.

Posted: 02 March 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree - the cake is beautiful, and your roses look fabulous!  The flavors sound really good—swet potato cake!  Yum!!!!

Congratulations!!

Glad your mousselilne has worked out so well, too!

Posted: 02 March 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s just lovely!  I like the change of pattern on the bottom tier, I think it actually adds something to the cake.  I was imagining it with a smooth bottom tier and I didn’t like it as much as this.  The orange roses are wonderful, and I think your piping looks great. 

How did you end up making the orange buttercream?  Is it mousseline, too?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 March 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

@Flour Girl - Thank you.  the only nerve wrecking part was the mental anguish about the orange buttercream
@Anne - Thank you - those roses are another story in themselves.  The instructions say poach in low simmering water/syrup for 30 minutes. (think that what it says).  But I do not believe I have done that before.  Before I believe it just let is sit in what had been boiling syrup for 15-20 minutes.  I followed the book for most and did the other way for three.  THe result, of course, is a softer rose, less bright and wider. 
@Julie - Thank you….I need to practice the stripes as much as I need to practice smoothing.  I posted in the other thread re: my fear of stability of whipped cream without having first seen the hours later result myself.  I used the orange curd in mousseline for the filling.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

I love your cake, CRenee! I think it looks great! I especially like the orange roses. And I think your piping looks just fine. Nicely done!

After reading your post I think I may try adding a little extra sugar syrup the next time I make the MBC. I really prefer Rose’s buttercreams because they are not overly sweet, but sometimes I lose some of the syrup to the sides of the bowl and it is not sweet enough. Have you found a maximum capacity for extra sugar being added? In other words, have you found that at a certain point adding too much syrup results in some of it not being fully incorporated into the frosting?

- MP smile

Posted: 02 March 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Monsieur P?tisserie - 02 March 2013 09:39 PM

I love your cake, CRenee! I think it looks great! I especially like the orange roses. And I think your piping looks just fine. Nicely done!

Thank you MP.  Your piping is so perfect, I appreciate the compliment. 

After reading your post I think I may try adding a little extra sugar syrup the next time I make the MBC. I really prefer Rose’s buttercreams because they are not overly sweet, but sometimes I lose some of the syrup to the sides of the bowl and it is not sweet enough. Have you found a maximum capacity for extra sugar being added? In other words, have you found that at a certain point adding too much syrup results in some of it not being fully incorporated into the frosting?

- MP smile

I have been adding extra egg whites for some time.  Only this week with two batches did I decide to add extra syrup. I just did 10% for the reason you mention.  I lose some to the sides of the bowl.  That 10% additional did not account for the teaspoon or two of vanilla extract.  I was also careful to pull off the flame at 247 because I pour straight from the pan.  I have not had the too much syrup problem yet.  I like how meringuey the end result is before adding butter.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

What a beautiful cake!  Be proud of it.  grin

Posted: 02 March 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
CRenee - 02 March 2013 10:29 PM

Thank you MP.  Your piping is so perfect, I appreciate the compliment.

And thank you for your compliment. I really appreciate that.

CRenee - 02 March 2013 10:29 PM

I have been adding extra egg whites for some time.  Only this week with two batches did I decide to add extra syrup. I just did 10% for the reason you mention.  I lose some to the sides of the bowl.  That 10% additional did not account for the teaspoon or two of vanilla extract.  I was also careful to pull off the flame at 247 because I pour straight from the pan.  I have not had the too much syrup problem yet.  I like how meringuey the end result is before adding butter.

Thanks for the information here. I think I will try a 10% addition next time I make the MBC and see how that works. If you continue to experiment with adding a little extra syrup I’d love to hear how it turns out for you. I’ve tried so many times following the advice in this Buttercream Tutorial thread and it has helped, but I still seem to lose a small portion of my syrup to the side of the bowl when I add it to the meringue. Either that happens or I end up with a small ball of syrup that’s not incorporated into the buttercream (presumably because I did not mix the buttercream quick enough after adding the syrup to it). Either way, I end up with some of the syrup not being incorporated into the buttercream.

Posted: 02 March 2013 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Very pretty. Like Julie, I really like the fact that you used different buttercream finishes on the top and bottom tiers…I think it adds a lot of interest to the appearance of the cake.

Posted: 03 March 2013 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

@Jeannette - thank you.  I will work on that being proud part.  I look at so many cakes on Google images and other places… I see some really beautiful work that folks do.  I know it is delicious….that is for sure. 
@MP - I keep the mixer running - Patrincia (Patricia/Butteryum) talked about that in a thread some while back. 
@Sophia - Thank you.  I may make a cake just for practicing smoothing.

Signature