the dreaded warehouse store
Posted: 02 March 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Yup….worse than the grocery store - I must make a trip to BJ’s (much like but better in mind than Costco).  Here I get really large bags of sugar, flour, large size of stretch tite, big size of paper towels.  It is why I go—for the big things.  I do not have a container to hold a 25 lb bag of sugar so I get two 10 lb bags.  Perhaps I will see a container there.  I am thinking I will go there on my way to Suana….that will be my reward. 

Hey this is just kitchen chatter, right?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 March 2013 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Hahaha! That is exactly my shopping list (minus the flour).  I spent the afternoon there today, on a long, long line. I buy 2 bags of the 10 pound sugar too. I don’t have a spare canister but I have a shelf in a cabinet dedicated to back-up ingredients. I love those double rolls of Stretch Tite. At one time they would last forever. Not so much anymore since I’ve started baking. I also get brown and confectioners sugar there at a very good price.

Posted: 03 March 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 03 March 2013 07:13 AM

Hahaha! That is exactly my shopping list (minus the flour).  I spent the afternoon there today, on a long, long line. I buy 2 bags of the 10 pound sugar too. I don’t have a spare canister but I have a shelf in a cabinet dedicated to back-up ingredients. I love those double rolls of Stretch Tite. At one time they would last forever. Not so much anymore since I’ve started baking. I also get brown and confectioners sugar there at a very good price.

Exactly.  There is hardly a difference (fraction of a cent) between buyin 25 lb bag and 10 lb bag…so yesterday I purchased 3 bags.  I like to minimize my need to return there.  And Land o’ Lakes is significantly less than grocery.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

They sell Land O Lakes butter at your store? I wish my store carried it. LOL unsalted sticks are becoming harder and harder to find. At this moment I have 7 pounds of it in my freezer.

Posted: 03 March 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 03 March 2013 04:33 PM

They sell Land O Lakes butter at your store? I wish my store carried it. LOL unsalted sticks are becoming harder and harder to find. At this moment I have 7 pounds of it in my freezer.

That is BJ’s.  I prefer to others.  They sell smaller sizes of items.  So instead of a gigantic jar of something they shrink wrap 3 jar together.

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2013 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I like that idea.

Posted: 10 March 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-10

I love doing my shopping for baking ingredients at BJs and I also buy the sugar in the 10lb bags. I wish they carried flour I could use. Our BJ’s only carries King Arthur unbleached, and I like using unbleached, but the protein content of King Arthur is way too high. One thing I do love to get there is the vanilla extract. They have their own brand of pure vanilla and the price can’t be beat. Once in a while I’m also able to find Pam with flour, but they don’t seem to carry it regularly.

Signature 

Jennifer Rao
Around the World in 80 Cakes, LLC
http://www.80cakes.com/CakeBlog/

Posted: 10 March 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I am not sure I have ever purchased flour at BJ’s either.  I absolutely prefer Baker’s Joy to Pam.  I have resigned myself to needing to source my ingredients in a fe different places.

Signature