Bittersweet chocolate and orange flavoured cream cheese buttercreams
Posted: 03 March 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Has anyone made these?

I’m planning to make Rose’s pumpkin cake (RHC) as a torted layer cake this week and want to pair it with chocolate and orange fillings/frostings. The burnt orangeSMB wasn’t a hit with everyone last time but everyone does seem to really enjoy the flavour of a tangy, cream cheese frosting with a spicy cake. I don’t like frosting to be too sweet and I would prefer something stable enough to pipe, particularly the orange, which will be used to frost/decorate the cake.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 03 March 2013 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sophia!

I made this cake a few year back, and it was very popular:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Four-Layer-Pumpkin-Cake-with-Orange-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-355809  It uses an orange cream cheese frosting, simply adding orange zest to the frosting.  I noticed that after sitting overnight, the orange flavor strengthened and the powdered sugar was not detectible (i.e., no grittiness).

I can’t say if it would be stable enough to pipe—I know cream cheese frostings tend ot be soft—but you could add orange zest to probably any buttercream you prefer, and maybe just add a bit of cream cheese—or sour cream—or even possibly lemon—to get that tang.

—ak

Posted: 04 March 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thanks for the link, Anne.

I had hoped to add more to the buttercream than just rind/oil for a more intense orange flavour without having to make curd; the Epicurious recipe has more butter and less sugar than the one I usually use so perhaps it would be a candidate for add-ins like orange juice concentrate. There’s so little sugar in the recipe, I think it wouldn’t be too sweet even if I had to add more to stiffen it.

Anne in NC - 03 March 2013 09:02 PM

maybe just add a bit of cream cheese—or sour cream—or even possibly lemon—to get that tang.

The only other flavoured buttercream that I make on a regular basis, other than the Baked books’ cooked frosting which is quite soft, is Rose’s mousseline and after reading about the nightmare experiences of adding cream cheese to Swiss meringue here on the forum and elsewhere, I don’t think I want to to go that route. But the sour cream (or perhaps even creme fraiche?) and lemon are ideas I hadn’t considered.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure!

the Baked books

Don’t you just love the Baked books?

Posted: 04 March 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I do love them….in fact, it’s where I went first in my search for a recipe for a crowd pleasing cake that’s just a little outside the box. The Bananas Cake from Baked Elements (cover photo) is my backup plan if this pumpkin cake doesn’t work out.

Posted: 04 March 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Rats!  I don’t have the 3rd book—Although I can’t imagine it could beat the Cordon Rose Banana Cake with Maximum sour cream!  It’s one of my fave cakes in the WORLD!  I’m getting ready to make it again in April.

I’m dying to make their caramel corn, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit it in now that I’m on a macaron jag. 

Have you made their cheesecake?  I might make it in April, as well, as I’ve got a lot of cream cheese to use up.  It’s the super-dense NY style. It doesn’t look like they use a water bath, either, which I find sort of comforting.

Posted: 04 March 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Anne in NC - 04 March 2013 04:36 PM

Rats!  I don’t have the 3rd book—Although I can’t imagine it could beat the Cordon Rose Banana Cake with Maximum sour cream!  It’s one of my fave cakes in the WORLD!

I’m sure it won’t but I always like to give their recipes a try….I’ve been disappointed by some (dry whiteout cake) but pleasantly surprised by others (malted milk cake). I haven’t tried the recipes you’ve mentioned but I have a lot of their recipes flagged, just not enough time, or occasion, to make them.

Posted: 04 March 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I dig it.  I actually am not crazy about their cakes, but I like their cake ideas, so I use a Rose “cake part” along with the Baked other components.  I, too, find their cakes a bit dry—that said, I haven’t tried the malted milk ball cake, so I’m glad to hear about it!

I love all the non-cake items I’ve tried, though!!!  The rice krispie peanut butter chocolate bars were a huge hit and super-fast.

Posted: 04 March 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

@Sophia, Jullie just gave me all kinds of suggestions for orange filling in this thread

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/5278/

With Pumpkiin I would fill it with Orange something and frost with Cream Chese Frosting.  I wonder what would happen if you used orange juice concentrate to make your syrup for moussline? 

@Anne, which Baked Book do you recommnd if I just want one - and I am interested in cake combo ideas. I do just like to use Rose Cake part but get ideas from others for flavors and flavor combos.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 04 March 2013 08:52 PM

With Pumpkiin I would fill it with Orange something and frost with Cream Chese Frosting.

CRenee,

Thanks very much for that link. A lot of great ideas for orange fillings, but I was far more interested in reading about the bitter orange rind issues!

I’m trying to recreate a better version of a cake I’d made a few years ago from Sky High cakes, a sweet potato cake with chocolate cream cheese filling and orange cream cheese frosting. The flavours worked well together but the cake was dense and gummy and the frostings were too thin.

I wonder what would happen if you used orange juice concentrate to make your syrup for moussline?

That’s an interesting idea…the syrup would end up being acidic wouldn’t it? I wonder what effect it would have on the emulsion. I’d have to do a lot more reading on the topic before I would even attempt that one!
You should be able to add some juice concentrate - not certain what amount - directly to a finished mousseline; so many of the flavourings we add are acidic.

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Anne in NC - 04 March 2013 07:00 PM

The rice krispie peanut butter chocolate bars were a huge hit and super-fast.

Another one I haven’t tried!

I swear their 3rd book was written for my husband, son and youngest daughter with chapters - and lots of goodies - devoted to chocolate, caramel, cinnamon, peanut butter….and there’s a lemon-lime chapter for me smile

Posted: 05 March 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

@Anne, which Baked Book do you recommnd if I just want one - and I am interested in cake combo ideas. I do just like to use Rose Cake part but get ideas from others for flavors and flavor combos.

I baked from these books a little bit, if memory serves the cake chapter only has a few options- it isn’t like TCB or RHC where there are many, many recipes for cake.  I’ve found them to be easily requested from the local library, in case you’d like to see/test bake before buying smile  They do have a really good brownie.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

@Sopia - Yes re: the orange.  I am now thinking it will cost me a fortune to test oranges and orange marmalade.  However, I will first try orange stabilized whipped cream. 
And, Sky High…another book I have been eyeing. 

@Julie - Thank you re: the book.  Saving me from myself.  I think I purchased 5 cook (baking) books in 2012 and have only baked one item (from Flour).

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Sky High cakes has quite a few interesting cakes. However, their frostings/buttercreams are waaaay too sweet (if you’re accustomed to Rose’s) and the success of the cakes is hit and miss, and even the hits are not as good as Rose’s. Having said that, I do think it’s worth it for you to take a look and the library copy would be a place to start. I purchased and baked from it before I discovered the cake bible; since learning what a cake is supposed to be like, I now use it only for inspiration.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

which Baked Book do you recommnd

I just remembered I made their maple cake, and it was really good.  It smelled like oven pancakes!

Of the two I have, I like the first one just a little better, although I’m super-glad I have the 2nd one, as there’s some stuff I really want to make in it!!!!!

And yes to what Julie said—your library is sure to have them.

A number of their recipes were published in Bon Appetit and appear on Epicurious (including the maple cake):  http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=Poliafito&type=simple&threshold=39

Posted: 06 March 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sophia - 05 March 2013 04:26 PM

Sky High cakes has quite a few interesting cakes. However, their frostings/buttercreams are waaaay too sweet (if you’re accustomed to Rose’s) and the success of the cakes is hit and miss, and even the hits are not as good as Rose’s. Having said that, I do think it’s worth it for you to take a look and the library copy would be a place to start. I purchased and baked from it before I discovered the cake bible; since learning what a cake is supposed to be like, I now use it only for inspiration.

That is the primary reason I get other books - inspiration.  Library is good idea from you and Julie.  I have to fit the library into my schedule or check if there is kindle version for reasonably less.

Signature 

‹‹ Midget tomboy      sour cream cake ››