3 of 3
Chocolate butter cake problem. PLEASE HELP!!!
Posted: 07 March 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

So here is what Rose had to say about yolks.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2011/02/about_egg_yolks.html

If we reference her recipe for Golden Butter Cream Cake in TCB. Three eggs yolks should weigh 56 grams as of 1989 when I bought my copy of TCB.
It would be a quick safety check to separate your eggs and verify the weight of the yolks.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 March 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16
Foxetta - 07 March 2013 09:28 PM

To answer your question, I am using shortening but it’s an animal fat mixture (I’m just trying to use it up before I buy more :/) but I imagine I should probably be using a vegetable based shortening?

From the standpoint of greasing cake pans, either should work.  The key is to choose one that is 100% fat and has some saturated fat content.

I’m thinking perhaps the eggs are too cold? I haven’t been letting them sit as long as the butter… should the eggs be room temp too?

Yup, everything should be room temp, eggs included. 

Gene - 07 March 2013 04:54 PM

I have used this recipe a number of times but it has been a few years. I don’t have any notes or memory of unusual behavior. Sometimes modern eggs have undersized yolks which might account for some of the mottling in the batter.

Gene, what a great thought!

Foxetta - 07 March 2013 09:28 PM

That’s a good one! How can I be sure I have the right amount of yolk?

I find that eggs bought from local farms or even neighbors that keep chickens have much larger yolks than supermarket eggs.  However, they generally aren’t sized as consistently as grocery eggs so weighing is essential.  If you’d like to check grocery eggs, you can separate them, the yolks should weigh about 18g.

Baker’s Joy works well, as does the Pam brand of cake pan spray (though I don’t like the strong flavor), but cakes still need parchment unless you are using a non-stick pan (like a bundt), then just the spray is enough.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

When I bake, I always separate my eggs, even when the recipe calls for whole eggs.  I base mine upon this idea:  One Ideal Egg = 30g white + 20g yolk (which is just a teeny bit more than the 18, but easier to remember).

So, if a recipe calls for 3 eggs, I weigh out 30x3=90g whites plus 20x3=60g yolks.  Usually, it takes part of a 4th egg yolk to achieve the correct yolk-ness, so I have a little leftover egg.

Posted: 08 March 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-03-06

Excellent!! Thanks for the tips about the eggs.
I will let everything get to room temp and I’ll be sure to separate my yolks before weighing. Hopefully with my new wealth of knowledge the batter will come out right next time smile

3 of 3