1 of 2
Oils in baking
Posted: 08 March 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

When a baking recipe calls for oil - what do you use?  What are you purposeful not to use?  I have been using Canola oil, but recent revelations (news to me) suggest perhaps I should not be.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, CRenee!

Although I don’t tend to make oil cakes (because I don’t like the gummy/spongy texture of them), I have used canola oil, but I prefer to use a nut oil to give more flavor ... although I know the purpose of canola oil is its neutral flavor. 

As I understand it, you can, generally, melt butter, although you might require a little experimentation, as butter is about 80% fat/20% water, and oil is, of course, 100% fat.  That said, in Rose’s “redo” of the Cordon Rose Banana Cake (which I, personally, consider perfection in its original form), she subs 2T of oil for 2T of butter directly.

What is your specific problem with canola oil?  That it’s often gmo?  That it’s high-temp processed and so very bad for you?  That it’s a polyunsaturated fat that can’t withstand heat without going transfatty or rancid in your system and, thus, wreaking havoc to your body?  Maybe we can help find a sub based upon your particular concern.

Some use coconut oil, which—especially if you choose a raw, unrefined one—should be relatively benign, as saturated fats withstand heat well, and if it isn’t processed and messed with, it shouldn’t be trans-fatty.  Most other nut oils will have the same high temp problem (whether through processing or simply through heating in the cake), as they are all mostly polyunsaturated fats.

Of course, cake’s aren’t health food by any means, so, likely, the best solution is moderation—however, there’s nothing wrong in trying to mitigate the bad stuff where you can, right?

—ak

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

I’m not aware of any problems with Canola oil; I know that there have been some of those highly unreliable internet chain emails floating around, but one should never give them any credibility. Here’s a Snopes entry on it:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

I normally use Canola oil or one of the multi blends.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 08 March 2013 10:09 PM

What is your specific problem with canola oil?  That it’s often gmo?  That it’s high-temp processed and so very bad for you?  That it’s a polyunsaturated fat that can’t withstand heat without going transfatty or rancid in your system and, thus, wreaking havoc to your body?  Maybe we can help find a sub based upon your particular concern.

Of course, cake’s aren’t health food by any means, so, likely, the best solution is moderation—however, there’s nothing wrong in trying to mitigate the bad stuff where you can, right?

—ak

It is the GMO issues and you are right—everything in moderation.  I just wonder how different corn oil is.

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 08 March 2013 10:23 PM

I’m not aware of any problems with Canola oil; I know that there have been some of those highly unreliable internet chain emails floating around, but one should never give them any credibility. Here’s a Snopes entry on it:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

I normally use Canola oil or one of the multi blends.

Perfect..  Thank you Charles.  I will also look up multi-blends.

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Oil make cakes moist. I use corn, vegetable or canola. I bake for taste and not for health reasons. Either the real thing or not.

Posted: 09 March 2013 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I use Spectrum Canola Oil. If the organic version is on sale I will buy it otherwise I use the regular.  I avoid all other oil except olive oil.

I would use nut oils if the recipe called for it and I was able to find it, which is no small feat in my area.

What’s wrong with canola oil?

I would definitely avoid anything containing cottonseed oil because cotton is not regarded as a food by the FDA and therefore spraying regulations are not applicable.

Posted: 09 March 2013 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, CRenee!

If gmo is your concern, your store probably carries a non-gmo brand, and you should be good to go!

I would think that corn oil would almost certainly be gmo unless otherwise specified on the label. 

Happy baking!

—ak

Posted: 09 March 2013 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I am not too worried about…saw a couple of brief articles - but I trust CHarles’s view and what he has posted.  One recipe I use originally called for corn oil and I switchted to Canola.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I always buy safflower oil for baking and stir-frying, I switched to it from canola because canola tastes like fish if you keep it too long or heat it too hot.  Safflower seems more perfectly neutral tasting to me.  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 March 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 10 March 2013 03:12 PM

I always buy safflower oil for baking and stir-frying

Short shelf-life, isn’t it?  Something like a few weeks….

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 March 2013 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I didn’t realize that. I put the date on the label when I open the bottle of oil and it has to be finished within 2 months according to the instructions on the label.

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 10 March 2013 06:34 PM

Short shelf-life, isn’t it?  Something like a few weeks….

Hmmm, I’ll make a note to check labels/dates, but it has been the case in my kitchen that safflower oil lasts longer than canola.  Canola always ends up turning and tasting/smelling like fish before I can use up the bottle.  I’ve never had off flavors or problems of any sort with safflower oil.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 10 March 2013 03:12 PM

I always buy safflower oil for baking and stir-frying, I switched to it from canola because canola tastes like fish if you keep it too long or heat it too hot.  Safflower seems more perfectly neutral tasting to me.  smile

Now I remember you had said that before—I had hoped this thread ould bring it out.. I will try safflower on a future test.

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2013 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-31

Rice bran oil for more neutral flavors.
Olive oil for grassy flavors, usually paired with orange/citrus flavors.

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

how about if i sub a nut oil , say hazelnut oil, in the german chocolate cake..would it work?

1 of 2