Oils vs Extracts (Orange, lemon, etc)
Posted: 11 March 2013 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-31

So I made the Oily Cake (it’s an orange olive oil cake) from Lisa Yockelson’s “Baking Style” and once again I didn’t follow directions thoroughly. The recipe calls for Orange Extract and I subbed Orange Oil without altering the quantity at all. The cake is good but it is WAY to orange-y. There is quite a tartness to it. In hindsight, it is obvious that I should have used less orange oil as oils are stronger than extracts but I was rushing and not really paying attention. Does anyone know exactly how to substitute an oil for an extract so I can take a note of this….?  Is there any particular reason to use an extract instead of an oil and vice versa?

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to your main question re: how to sub oil for extract, but I can attest that the reason for using oil instead of extract is that it is just so darn tasty and perfect.  I am very impressed with the Boyajian citrus oils, they are superior to most of the fresh zest I have been able to make. 

Hopefully someone else may chime in who has worked out a conversion.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Rose has a conversion in RHC…forget what it is.  Something like 4 to 1 or more, extract to oil.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 March 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I thought of RHC but my book is loaned out- I remembered that there was a conversion for zest to oil, perhaps there is also one for extract to oil.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 12 March 2013 03:33 PM

I remembered that there was a conversion for zest to oil, perhaps there is also one for extract to oil.

Perhaps I’m misremembering….I’ll check tonight.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 March 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-31

I just checked and on page 460 of RHC there is a conversion for oil to zest and vice versa but not oil to extract. I did a general search on google and found: 1/8 tsp oil = 1 tsp extract.
The recipe I made called for about 1 tsp orange extract so I used about 8 times too much orange oil!! OMG!

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

That stuff (oil) packs a punch!  smile

Thanks so much for finding the conversion and reporting back on it here!

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-05-12
adrie318 - 11 March 2013 04:48 AM

In hindsight, it is obvious that I should have used less orange oil as oils are stronger than extracts

Have you tried an orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau?  All the alcohol should evaporate out and the taste is unique compared to an extract.