Soft Cream Cheese vs. Regular Cream Cheese
Posted: 25 November 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Question:

What is the difference between soft cream cheese and regular cream cheese, and can soft cream cheese be substituted for regular in certain instances?

Now, I’m not talking about making a cheesecake or anything like that.  If I have a recipe that calls for a large amount of cream cheese,  where cream cheese is one of the main components and the integrity of the recipe would be compromised by a substitution, I wouldn’t ever think to use anything but the regular.

However ... sometimes I want to make something that only calls for an ounce or tablespoon or two of cream cheese, where the cream cheese is just a bit player in the recipe.  I got to wondering if the soft cream cheese in tubs could be used instead.  Reason: I seldom have regular cream cheese on hand, but my daughter loves bagels, so I always have the soft cream cheese in tubs around.

I hate having to make a special trip to the store just for a small package of cream cheese or, worse yet, not making something I really want to make just because I have everything but a couple tablespoons of cream cheese and I don’t have time to make a trip to the store.  It would be really convenient if I could substitute the soft variety of cream cheese in instances like this instead.

Thoughts?

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 25 November 2007 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

Tiffany, The only differance between the two is that the whipped variety contains approx 20%-22.5% less fat.
Air is pumped in the whipped kind. I do not see why you cannot use it if it is just a small amount as you described. You can always add an extra teaspoon of it to make up for the loss of needed fat.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 25 November 2007 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I was under the impression that the whipped cream cheese was fluffed up with air, which I suppose would make it contain less fat volume wise, but I’m not sure it would contain less fat if it were measured by weight instead (unless you were speciafically using a reduced fat variety).  Either way, I would think you’d be just fine to substitute the whipped for the regular if it was as you say, an ingredient that didn’t play a major role in the recipe.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 November 2007 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree with the others. Maybe you could just whip your regular cream cheese, to lighten the texture, if that’s an issue incorporating the ingredients.

Posted: 25 November 2007 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Hi Tiffany,

I usually sub. soft cream cheese for regular if the recipe calls for 2 oz or less. In these cases, the cream cheese is more or less being used as a binding agent or for flavor.

Also, for cream cheese icings, I use the soft because it’s easier to blend and I don’t have to wait around for it to soften up to use.

I once used marscapone cheese for an icing instead of cream cheese. Oh. My. God. That was incredible, but the cheese is too expensive to use all the time smile.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 November 2007 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks for all the input, everyone!  I was hoping this was the case and I could make the substitution easily.  I don’t mind the extra air ... at least it doesn’t add any calories wink

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene