Soft Cream Cheese vs. Regular Cream Cheese
Posted: 25 November 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Question:

What is the difference between soft cream cheese and regular cream cheese, and can soft cream cheese be substituted for regular in certain instances?

Now, I’m not talking about making a cheesecake or anything like that.  If I have a recipe that calls for a large amount of cream cheese,  where cream cheese is one of the main components and the integrity of the recipe would be compromised by a substitution, I wouldn’t ever think to use anything but the regular.

However ... sometimes I want to make something that only calls for an ounce or tablespoon or two of cream cheese, where the cream cheese is just a bit player in the recipe.  I got to wondering if the soft cream cheese in tubs could be used instead.  Reason: I seldom have regular cream cheese on hand, but my daughter loves bagels, so I always have the soft cream cheese in tubs around.

I hate having to make a special trip to the store just for a small package of cream cheese or, worse yet, not making something I really want to make just because I have everything but a couple tablespoons of cream cheese and I don’t have time to make a trip to the store.  It would be really convenient if I could substitute the soft variety of cream cheese in instances like this instead.

Thoughts?

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 25 November 2007 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree with the others. Maybe you could just whip your regular cream cheese, to lighten the texture, if that’s an issue incorporating the ingredients.

Posted: 26 November 2007 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks for all the input, everyone!  I was hoping this was the case and I could make the substitution easily.  I don’t mind the extra air ... at least it doesn’t add any calories wink

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

‹‹ trouble with grainy ice cream      brownies ››