coconut silk meringue buttercream
Posted: 11 March 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

I am planning to make the southern manhattan coconut cake from RHC for my husband’s 70th birthday. I’d like to follow the recipe for the frosting but live in a small town and do not have access to either frozen or fresh coconut.  Does anyone have experience making it with packaged, either sweetened or unsweetened? Are there any adjustments I should make? He also wants raspberry incorporated somehow and I was thinking of using the raspberry mousseline as a filling and then the silk meringue as the frosting. I’m open, however, to any other ideas that would give me a coconut cake with some raspberry flavor.
Thanks in advance.

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

Good Day GPears

I am not the best at pairing but I have made the coconut silk meringue buttercream.  The coconut flavor in the meringue comes from the coconut milk.  The fresh coconut is just on the outside of the cake.  If you use packaged sweetened coconut you may just want to use a little less because it is sweet.  Personally, I think it will be fine. 

Because the coconut cake is so light.  I wonder if you might want to consider Raspberry cloud cream or whipped cream as a filling.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

Hi CRenee:
thanks for the response. In rereading the recipe for the silk meringue, it seems like it is saying to stir the coconut into the frosting at the end. Am I reading it correctly?
I had thought about cloud cream but I’ve never made it and am nervous about it not coming out well or falling apart when slicing. This is a small party at a restaurant and the server will cut and plate the cake pieces. I also have never used whipped cream as a filling (I don’t personally care for it), but am also concerned about the slices of cake holding together when cut.
Any encouragement…much appreciated

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24
gpears - 11 March 2013 02:26 PM

Hi CRenee:
thanks for the response. In rereading the recipe for the silk meringue, it seems like it is saying to stir the coconut into the frosting at the end. Am I reading it correctly?
I had thought about cloud cream but I’ve never made it and am nervous about it not coming out well or falling apart when slicing. This is a small party at a restaurant and the server will cut and plate the cake pieces. I also have never used whipped cream as a filling (I don’t personally care for it), but am also concerned about the slices of cake holding together when cut.
Any encouragement…much appreciated

I understand as I recently opted to make raspberry mousseline instead of cloud cream in the same circumstance.  Everyone enjoyed the cake and I failed to taste it…..so I imagine it is okay.  I should have checked the recipe about stirring in the cococut.  it has been a while.  I think if you use prepackaged coconut it is okay. I would go for the kind that is moist.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 March 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-11-07

hi Gpears! I have made this cake several times using packaged unsweeten fine coconut. I had to cut the quantity in 2 because the amount was just way to much! I have to say the icing is quite rich and after many testing, the best way i found to complement this beautiful cake sponge was to pair it instead with the chocolate mousseline buttercream recipe in roses book, with added coconut! Its absolutely delicious!

I have not tried coconut with raspberry before but if you think you want to add it too the cake, the best way i like to do so when i add mine to Wooddy’s lemon luxury cake recipe, is to make the raspberry puree sauce and add that to fresh raspberries. The filling is the best raspberry filling i have ever tasted and all my customers rave about it! If you go with that option as a filling, i would probably omit the coconut flakes and just use the icing from the recipe without the coconut added. The taste is quite nice without it and it wont over power your fresh raspberry and add to much texture. you could sprinkle some on top of the cake but i think inside would be too much. Please let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Posted: 12 March 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Another thought re: how to incorporate raspberries- it would be easy and beautiful to top the cake with fresh raspberries.  The tart, fresh fruit will balance the rich frosting.

Sounds like a lovely cake, hope you’ll post pictures smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 15 March 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

Hi Claudine:
thanks for the response. I myself love chocolate on anything and that sounds wonderful to me. My husband, however, wants what he would term a traditional coconut cake, so I’ll be better off w/ a coconut frosting. I don’t quite understand what you mean about the raspberry sauce. Is that plus the fresh raspberries the whole filling? Or do you add that to something to make an actual filling?
Thanks for the help.
Julie: thanks also for your thoughts. I bought extra fresh raspberries and will put them on top of the cake. I so wish I knew how to post photographs. I need to get my daughter to teach me!