Beginners yeast quest
Posted: 12 March 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-12

Help a bored house husband learn yeast…
I’m about to use raisins to create my own active yeast water, does anyone have a general conversion for replacing 1 tbs active dry yeast with yeast water from dried fruit?
What is the difference between sourdough starter and yeast water? Is there a significant taste difference?
Personal thoughts on the plus’ and minus’ of creating your own yeast, I’m bored and thought this a great skill to have.
Ok, my last question is potato water, my wife loves mashed potatoes any way I use them (mashed, souffle, pancakes) anyone find potato bread and rolls easy to make and what is potato water used for in baking. I always thought it was a waste to dump that starch down the drain. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thank you all so much and if you have any suggestions or comments that are too long or off point for the forum, feel free to PM me!

ps, if anyone needs cooking tips from a wheelchair, I have plenty! grin

Posted: 12 March 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16
Gimpy - 12 March 2013 04:25 PM

does anyone have a general conversion for replacing 1 tbs active dry yeast with yeast water from dried fruit?

Sorry, I haven’t worked with yeast water yet.  But I imagine that any conversion would at best be a loose guideline, as natural sources may be inconsistent. 

What is the difference between sourdough starter and yeast water? Is there a significant taste difference?

Sourdough culture contains both yeast and acid-producing bacteria, so it produces a more complex and acidic flavor.  Yeast water doesn’t have the acid producers.

what is potato water used for in baking.

You can use both the boiled potato and the water it was boiled in to make potato bread.  It’s tender and yummy.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 19 March 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

I have never made sour dough. Would love to try someday.

‹‹ burtonA      Cook’s Country Dakota Bread ››