Souffle substitution
Posted: 17 March 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-06-30

Hi,

I made my first cheese souffl?, baked from what appeared to be a relatively standard recipe using 6 egg yolks in the parmesan-flavored base, and 6 egg whites. I found it insufficiently cheesy, and altogether too eggy. It was like a fluffy omelette, leading me to wonder why anyone would go to the trouble of baking a souffl? to achieve the same taste as something that could have been made using much simpler techniques. I was wondering if it would be possible to substitute 1/2 cup parmesan for the yolks, making it a really cheesy souffl?? Has anyone attempted that before? Would it work?

Tim

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2008-01-24

I think you just got into a bad recipe. I would never choose parmesan as the primary cheese in a souffle. I suggest you get a copy of the classic ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ by Julia Child and try her recipe for cheese souffle. There are many ways to flavor a Souffle other than cheese by the way. There are dessert souffle with chocolate etc. One of my favorites is cauliflower. So keep trying I think you will find something that will make the trouible worthwile.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”