Moister Chocolate Cake?
Posted: 18 March 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-08-28

This past weekend I decided to bake my friend the decadent Dark Choc Devil’s Foodcake with Midnight Ganache for her birthday. I love this cake because it isn’t the normal too-sweet I’ve come to expect from chocolate cake.

However, I would like it to be a bit more moist. The trick is not making it so moist that it collapses! My ideas have ranged from soaking in some dessert wine to adding more oil to the recipe. What would you suggest?

Image Attachments
DevilsFoodCake sml.jpg

Posted: 18 March 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-28

Thanks smile. Do you have any standard syrup recipes you would suggest? I am a sucker for adding some Masala to cakes and puddings wink. With this one I actually also considered some Kirsch and then topping the cake with black cherries. A not-quite black forest cake.

Posted: 19 March 2013 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-28

Thanks Monsieur P?tisserie! I will try the syrup trick first I think!

Julie: I am very careful about over-baking. I also do splurge on the best quality chocolate I can find when making this beauty wink

Anne in NC: Thanks for the butter and mixing suggestions! I’ll keep those in mind. And thanks for the compliment wink. I was going to decorate it at first, but then the beautiful buttery ganache just seemed too good to cover up! I love how spreadable and workable it is.

Posted: 20 March 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2010-02-24

That chocolate cake looks delicious.  I put simple syrup on a loaf cake and it made the cake very wet in certain areas.  I won’t do it again.

‹‹ Frozen cakes      Chocolate mayonnaise cake ››