Red velvet cupcakes
Posted: 22 March 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have made the red velvet cake, adapted to cupcakes from RHC many times and I love it with the cream cheese frosting.

Instead of using red coloring in the batter, I am wondering if I could use different colors ( I am looking at pink, yellow, purple and blue for easter)  But not really dark colors, just very light coloring.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to use different colors and if it worked out or if the cocoa in the batter affected the final color.

Posted: 23 March 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2011-02-17

I don’t know for sure but I don’t see why not. When I was inquiring about the omitting the coloring for the Red Velvet Cake I was told to substitute water by weight for the coloring.

Posted: 23 March 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks flour girl.  I am going to try a trial batch with one color and see how the color turns out.

The first time I made the red velvet cake, I used my super concentrated americolor airbrush color.  OMG - talk about red.
Just touching the cupcakes stained my hands red.  LOL  All my relatives had quite the laugh eating them.  Everyone’s mouth was red, lips, tongues and everything.  I think this time I will use only half the amount of color and substitute the rest with water.

Posted: 24 March 2013 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2011-02-17

OMGosh!  LOL Talk about your long-lasting lipstick. You might be on to something here!

Looking forward to hearing how they turned out.