the best raspberry buttercream?
Posted: 25 March 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

was just wondering what would be the best raspberry buttercream to pair with a very vanilla cake to be filled with the raspberry buttercream + dacquoise and frosted with white chocolate mousseline..
I ve never made the classic/neoclassic buttercream so im toying with the idea of making that. i hve my rspberry puree ready to go! then i thought id ask u all which one offers the best raspberry flavour =)  Thnks in advance !

Posted: 25 March 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Choco!

It’s generally thought that fruits go best with mousseline, while nuts and others go best with classic/neoclassic.

That said, I’ve made a lemon neoclassic, and it was wonderful—but, who knows, maybe it would have been better with mousseline!

—ak

Posted: 25 March 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I have made the raspberry neoclassic and the mousseline.  I like the raspberry in the mousseline better.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

okie thank you Anne in NC and CRenee , raspberry mousseline it is ! =)  I guess i ll have to save trying out classic buttercream for an other day… i usually make the white chocolate version of mousseline and the caramel, chocolate praline and praline buttercream versions of silk meringue. i ve also made a strawberry white chocolate version of the mousseline but i dint use the strawberry puree instead went with a freezedried strawberry paste . It would be nice to hear everyone’s idea on what type of buttercream works best for different flavours =)

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I like to pair the mousseline buttercream with fruit or vanilla flavors and the neoclassic with chocolate, caramel or nut flavors.
I love Rose’s fruit cloud creams as fillings for cake.  They are so light.

I have only made the silk meringue buttercream once and it didn’t turn out very well.  I have been hesitant to try it again.

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

I recently made raspberry silk meringue buttercream for the filling of a coconut cake and it was outstanding. I was nervous about it since I’ve only ever made mousseline, but the smb came out well and everyone at the dinner loved it. The raspberry flavor was subtle, though…not intense.

Posted: 26 March 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 25 March 2013 09:47 PM

I like to pair the mousseline buttercream with fruit or vanilla flavors and the neoclassic with chocolate, caramel or nut flavors.
I love Rose’s fruit cloud creams as fillings for cake.  They are so light.

I have only made the silk meringue buttercream once and it didn’t turn out very well.  I have been hesitant to try it again.

Sophia, Thank you ..... that pairing model is good to keep in mind.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 March 2013 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve made the Neoclassic (to use up many many egg yolks from the Mouselline I was making at the time) and I didn’t mind it.  It’s definitely a richer buttercream—and it was used as a filling.  Funny after reading this because the frosting of the wedding cake I used in in was White Chocolate Mouselline and the Raspberry NeoClassic was the filling.  Perhaps I should have switched the style of buttercreams around (though the white chocolate probably would have been a tad yellow with the neoclassic, so probably just as well).  Often I will make my choice of buttercream based on it’s handling/stability qualities (especially for weddings).