Will this work as ganache for frosting a cake?
Posted: 25 March 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I have two different ganaches in mind to use as frostings, but I wad wondering if they “raised any flags” with anyone as to why they might not work:

1)  90% cocoa chocolate + strawberry jam
2)  90% cocoa chocolate + orange syrup (leftovers from orangettes—it’s as thick as corn syrup)

I’d use equal amounts if chocolate and syrup (or jam), and if it wad too sweet,  I could add cocoa powder.

Any immediate potential pitfalls come to mind with respect to frosting a cake with this “ganache?”

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

HI Anne,

I have no idea if the ganache would work or not…could always try a little test batch. My thought is that the strawberry jam may be lumpy as a frosting…perhaps ok as a filling but if you are planning to smooth the surface, it may not be the best choice (a puree may be better?).  I’m curious to know how these turn out.  I’ve been wondering if my leftover sour cherry juice would work as a ganache liquid…so please report back!

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sherrie!

Thanks!  I’m working with leftovers myself!

I figure gananche is just chocolate + liquid, so I might try a small test batch.  I’m going to try the chocolate orange this weekend, in any event, as a macaron filling.

Wish me luck, and I will report back!

Re the cherry juice, I can’t figure out in my mind if something that liquidy would work or not.  If YOU try that one, report back, too!!!

—ak

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

I am thinking the orange syrup would (like corn syrup make a ganache glaze).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 March 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

You might try one test batch where you keep a little of the heavy cream, i.e., not subbing all of it out for syrup, etc.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 March 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

CRenee and Julie!  I’ll try a test batch this weekend and report back!  In this case, I’m trying to avoid the heavy cream and just go with the chocolate + .

Posted: 28 March 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It sounds great Anne. I hope it works for you!

Posted: 29 March 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

you need a little fat in there; melt some butter in with the chocolate and then add the liquid (seedless rasp puree, cherry juice, the orange liquid).  Try a small batch - 8 oz choc, 2 oz butter, 1/2 cup of liquid or puree.  It might help to warm the liquid or puree before adding it to the melted choc/butter just so they are close to the same temp when they’re mixed.  Keep us posted! Take pics!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 31 March 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, everyone!

Both were quite successful.  I did the following:

56g chocolate
28g jam/orange, as the case may be
1T butter
5g cocoa powder

They were both too thick when I went to use them the next day (after refrigeration and returning to room temp), so I added another 14g of jam/orange syrup plus a little spice to offset the sweetness (1/4 t. ginger to strawberry; 1/8 t. cardamon to orange).

They are both very good! The fruit taste is more of a bright fruitiness in the strawberry—ginger stands out more, and I don’t think you would be able to detect strawberry, per se, unless you’re very good at that sort of thing.  The orange, on the other hand, has a very nice orange-chocolate flavor.

I didn’t take pics, because they just look like ganache.

Used the strawberry in some new macarons.  I thought I would need both, but I didn’t, so the orange is in the freezer.

I plan to use the strawberry on a cake this month and the orange in the next macarons.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

—ak

Posted: 02 April 2013 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Wait!  I ws wrong!

After refrigeration and returning to room temp, these were very hard AGAIN, and the filling did not soften the macaron shell as it should, creating the “chewy” aspect!  (Filled mcaraons should be refrigerated i-24 hours—even 48 hours for overcooked shells—to make them go from a crunchy shell to the crispy exterior, slightly chewy interior.)  I thought I could get around it by using the leftover orange and adding it to the macarons, but it was hard, too. Neither had any softness, Even after adding the extra jam/orange.

I went back to Jeanne’s thought and added more butter—a full 2T to the orange.  I opened each macaron, scraped off strawberry filling, which was really solid, even after being at room temp a long time, and re-filled with the new butter-enriched orange.  Sadly, I didn’t have enough for them all, so I added more of the hard strawberry to the others, and they will simply be called “fudge filled.”

So, I really would have thought the amount of liquid in the orange syrup and the jam—used 3:4 as fruit:chocolate ratio—would have kept the chocolate soft, but no dice!  I really hope the butter works, and it doesn’t need a liquid fat.  I keep remembering the milk chocolate buttercream which refrigerates solid as a rock ...

Anyhow, FYI!

—ak

‹‹ Ingredients      Kindle Rose’s Books ››