Fat Daddio’s 4 in. pans
Posted: 27 March 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-03-27

Hi, I’m new here. Has anyone tried baking in a 4 in. high cake pan? I know most recipes call for 2 layers using two separate 2 in. high pans. Since I’m a stickler for even torted layers and for reducing variables and increasing efficiency, I was thinking of using the higher pans and then just using a cake leveler like the Agbay Deluxe to get multiple even layers.

Any thoughts?? Would I have to increase the baking time or any other recipe adjustments?

Posted: 27 March 2013 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
bakediva - 27 March 2013 11:18 PM

Hi, I’m new here. Has anyone tried baking in a 4 in. high cake pan?

People report that Rose’s layer cake recipes don’t do well in pans over 2 inches. The highest I’ve seen for layer cakes is 3 inches, but even those pans had a smaller diameter.

If you had a 9 inch cake pan that was 4 inches high (do they even make such a thing?), you’d have a challenge in getting the interior baked without drying the outer edges. Bundt pans are a solution to this because they have a heating core right in the middle of the pan.

In addition to the heating issue, that center core also provides some structural support for the cake; without it, the cake probably wouldn’t be able to support its own weight, unless you made it very tough (ugh!).

I’ve only seen one recipe posted here that called for a 4 in pan, but it was also 4 inches in diameter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 March 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

I haven’t had much luck with the Fat Daddio annodized pans; the square ones have a rounded corner.  I find that this is a thinner weight pan - lighter even than the no-name pans that Pfeil and Holing sells for less than the Fat Daddio ones.  So when I bake with them, the cakes seem much drier at the edges compared to the same size pan of a different type.

I know many of my pro friends bake in 3” high pans because they just don’t have the room to store a big variety of pans, but it’s all in how you bake it.  Use the cake strips, rotate the pans.  I’m sure I would learn to love a 3” pan if that’s all I had,  but I’d rather bake in a 2” high pan…

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 05 September 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

My pans are mostly three inch high pans. If not i just add an extender. Any pan is better than something that look like a hospital bed pan in red. smile

Posted: 05 September 2013 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 05 September 2013 09:54 PM

My pans are mostly three inch high pans. If not i just add an extender. Any pan is better than something that look like a hospital bed pan in red. smile

that made me really laugh out loud. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.