1 of 2
Some Easter Treats
Posted: 31 March 2013 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I haven’t posted in the show and tell forum for a long time.  ( Just being lazy )  I made these cupcakes for our family easter dinner.

1.  Rose’s yellow butter cupcake recipe filled with pastry cream and white chocolate mousseline buttercream rose swirls.  The butterflies are made with gelatin and gumpaste.

2.  Rose’s red velvet cupcakes with creamy dreamy cream chesse icing.  The red roses are made with white chocolate modelling clay that I colored red, then pressed into a silicone mold.

3.  My favorite - the deep dark passion chocolate cake made into cupcakes, filled with chocolate hazelnut praline mousse and piped with chocolate neoclassic buttercream.  ( OMG - they were so good!!!! )

I got beautiful domed cupcakes with the red velvet and the deep dark passion chocolate cupcakes, but I am still struggling to find a recipe for vanilla that produces a nice dome.  But no one could really tell after the buttercream was piped on.

I was originally going to tint the red velvet cupcakes different colors for an easter theme, but decided not to do it at the last minute, because I was afraid they would not turn out pretty pastel colors.  When I have some free time I will try maybe half the recipe with a different color and see how the color looks.

Image Attachments
IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0902.jpgIMG_0901.jpgIMG_0925.jpg

Posted: 01 April 2013 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Gorgeous piping Liza. Did you hve to adjust the recipe to make cupcakes?

Posted: 01 April 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Beautiful work.  Thank you for sharing.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 April 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you flour girl and CRenee.

FG - for the german chocolate cupcakes I did decrease the bp by 1/8 of a teaspoon and weighed 40 grams of batter for each cupcake and baked them for about 15 minutes.  The whole recipe made 25 cupcakes for me.

I didn’t do any adjustments for the red velvet cupcakes and I still got slight domes on the cupcakes.  Next time I will try decreasing the b/p alittle to see if I get higher domes.  I doubled the recipe and weighed 40 grams of batter for each cupcake and got about 36 cupcakes.  I also used americolor concentrated super red food coloring but only added 15g of color and and the rest 45g with water.  These turned out much better than when I used all super red fool coloring.  They still were nice and red but not to the point where just touching the cupcakes stained my hands.

I didn’t do any adjustment to the yellow butter cupcake recipe because it is Rose’s recipe for cupcakes.  They were nice and domed in the oven but as soon as I took them out they fell flat.  I know that I didn’t take them out too early, so I don’t know why they didn’t dome.  I did double the recipe, but I wouldn’t think that would make a difference.  I also found that Rose calls for adding 50 grams of batter to each cupcake liner was way to much.  My first cupcakes had flat muffins tops.  So I only used 40 g per cupcake and they turned out much better.

Posted: 01 April 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Super-pretty!  I love how your piped tops on the butterfly ones look just like roses!!

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Nicely done, Liza!  I like how your cupcakes aren’t overfrosted but still so pretty and elegant! 

I’ve had some success getting domes if I let the cupcakes sit out of the oven a few minutes. I just made some of the Southern Manhattan Coconut Cupcakes (no adjustments) and I used about 50-55g per cupcake and they were slightly domed and did not fall—the recipe made about 24 cupcakes with a few extra.  I didn’t leave them sit out for a long time…pretty much as long as it took to measure out all of the batter (but in the past I’ve let other recipes sit out for 15 minutes).  I don’t have the recipe in front of me, but perhaps worth comparing it to the white butter cake recipe and see how they compare.  I had some fairly sturdy liners and in most cases the cupcakes stayed attached to the liners—but a few started to pull away. 

I’d be interested to know and see how your “Colored” Velvet Cake experiment turns out! 

Your Deep Choco Passion cupcakes sound incredible!  Yum!

I just reread your post ... I can’t believe you made the butterflies…I thought they were add-ons!!  They are fabulous!  How did you make the wings with the gelatin?  Absolutely lovely!

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, those are completely gorgeous!  Your piping is perfect and the butterflies- I agree with Sherrie, they look too good to have been handmade.  I love how elegant your decorating is and how delicious your combinations sound, must have been a tasty Easter!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 01 April 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

How nice Liza….  Beautiful.. I never get tired of looking at beautiful creations such as these.  The gelatin decorations is something I have not tried.. very nice.  perfect in every way..

Posted: 01 April 2013 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.  The butterflies were very easy to make.  You can get plastic veining sheets which have the wings on them.  You bloom your gelatin in water and then slowly heat it to melt the gelatin.  Then you let it sit for about 10 minutes and scoop the scum of the top ( you might have to do this a couple of times to get it clear. )  Then I added one drop of liquid food coloring and brushed the gelatin on the sheets to cover the wings.  It usually takes overnight to dry and when they are dry they kind of pop off the sheets.

I really love the texture of the sponge cake in the deep dark passion chocolate cake.  It seems to balance out the richness of the buttercream and the filling.  I wonder if any of Rose’s sponge cake recipes would work well for cupcakes.

Posted: 01 April 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.  The butterflies were very easy to make.  You can get plastic veining sheets which have the wings on them.  You bloom your gelatin in water and then slowly heat it to melt the gelatin.  Then you let it sit for about 10 minutes and scoop the scum of the top ( you might have to do this a couple of times to get it clear. )  Then I added one drop of liquid food coloring and brushed the gelatin on the sheets to cover the wings.  It usually takes overnight to dry and when they are dry they kind of pop off the sheets.

I am totally impressed!

Posted: 01 April 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you very much Anne.  You would have no problem making these smile

Posted: 01 April 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-15

Your cupcakes are beautiful and the butterflies, simply stunning.

I’ve had the same flat tops with Rose’s yellow butter cupcakes that you experienced but have achieved domes using the All Occasion Yellow Downy cake recipe without adjustments and allowing the batter to sit 20 minutes before baking.

Posted: 01 April 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Sophia!  I will try the All Occasion Yellow Downy cake next time and let them sit out for 20 minutes next time.  Besides I love that cake.

Posted: 02 April 2013 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
Liza - 01 April 2013 01:48 PM

Thank-you flour girl and CRenee.

FG - for the german chocolate cupcakes I did decrease the bp by 1/8 of a teaspoon and weighed 40 grams of batter for each cupcake and baked them for about 15 minutes.  The whole recipe made 25 cupcakes for me.

I didn’t do any adjustments for the red velvet cupcakes and I still got slight domes on the cupcakes.  Next time I will try decreasing the b/p alittle to see if I get higher domes.  I doubled the recipe and weighed 40 grams of batter for each cupcake and got about 36 cupcakes.  I also used americolor concentrated super red food coloring but only added 15g of color and and the rest 45g with water.  These turned out much better than when I used all super red fool coloring.  They still were nice and red but not to the point where just touching the cupcakes stained my hands.

I didn’t do any adjustment to the yellow butter cupcake recipe because it is Rose’s recipe for cupcakes.  They were nice and domed in the oven but as soon as I took them out they fell flat.  I know that I didn’t take them out too early, so I don’t know why they didn’t dome.  I did double the recipe, but I wouldn’t think that would make a difference.  I also found that Rose calls for adding 50 grams of batter to each cupcake liner was way to much.  My first cupcakes had flat muffins tops.  So I only used 40 g per cupcake and they turned out much better.

Thank you, so much, for that information. I’ve got to try them all. I just bought a few decorating tips and what better place to use them then cupcakes.  Thank you!!

Posted: 02 April 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Fwiw, I’ve made the Lemon Chiffon Cake as cupcakes and they turned out very nice…but no domes…which isn’t surprising with that type of cake.  I put lemon curd and the white chocolate lemon buttercream (from RHC wedding section) on them and they were delish!

Posted: 02 April 2013 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I just might have to try that recipe too Sherrie.

1 of 2