Apple Dumplings, Praline Oblivion, Hazelnut-Mocha Domingo and Lemon Roulade
Posted: 05 April 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

For Easter we had apple dumplings, which I love but haven’t made since the first year I had the Pie/Pastry Bible.  I remembered how good they were, but somehow had forgotten how long it takes to get a flat piece of pie crust dough to wrap around an apple in a semi-attractive manner.  I baked the leaves separately so as to avoid any issues with overbrowning or falling off the apple.  My only note on these is that it’s important to follow the point about not piercing the bottom of the apple when coring it, because if the juices flow out it’s not just a matter of the mess, you also loose some of the taste. 

The photo of the cross section of a leaf shows how flaky Rose’s pie crust can be- this was re-rolled from scraps so it is extra-flaky, looks like puff pastry smile

Image Attachments
apple dumplings.jpgapple dumpling flaky leaf.jpgapple dumpling.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 05 April 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here are a few projects I never got around to posting:

The heart-shaped chocolate cake is the Domingo, syruped with Frangelico and frosted with mocha ganache (TCB dark ganache with espresso in place of the cognac), it was a yummy Valentine’s treat.

The chocolate cake slice (didn’t get a photo of the whole) was the Oblivion covered in chocolate curls, this was a variation with caramelized sugar, unsweetened chocolate and a bit of hazelnut paste.  It was wonderful and well-received by guests.

The roulade is almond biscuit roulade syruped with lemon juice syrup, filled with lemon curd cream and frosted with the white chocolate lemon custard buttercream from the golden dream wedding cake in RHC.  It was really yummy.

And I didn’t manage pictures, but I did try the Miette Tomboy chocolate cake and wanted to report a couple of small notes.  First, it worked well to bake it in a 6x2 pan with a parchment collar (I don’t have a 6x3 pan).  And second, it also bakes perfectly in a baby bundt (6-7 cup capacity), scaled to fill the pan about 3/4 full.  I served the Miette choco cake to a lot of people on two different occasions and it was well liked by everyone… except me!  It’s a mild chocolate cake, maybe too mild for me.  I layered it with chocolate buttercream instead of vanilla, and for the bundt glazed it with ganache and both of those frostings helped boost the chocolate flavor.  But for an oil-based chocolate cake I prefer the deep chocolate passion.

Image Attachments
Oblivion.jpgDomingo.jpglemon roulade 2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, that’s some amazing stuff.

I thought the pie crust leaf WAS puff pastry!!!!!

Thanks for the cross-section of the oblivion. I wondered what it’s internal texture would be like.  Can you describe how you did your variation?  It sounds wonderful.

That biscuit is astounding looking.  I appreciate the cross section there, too, as I’m never sure what the frosting to cake ratio of these is supposed to look like, so I’ve never made one.  I like the toasted almonds on the top of it, too!  So cute!

Posted: 05 April 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Simply amazing Julie! Everything you make looks like it is professionally baked. Your family is very lucky!

Posted: 05 April 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 05 April 2013 03:10 PM

Thanks for the cross-section of the oblivion. I wondered what it’s internal texture would be like.

It’s basically a mousse cake, I think mine is a bit fluffier than standard, as explained below.

Can you describe how you did your variation?

There’s a variation in TCB for a praline paste version, I used half the amount of the praline paste for the hazelnut paste, then substituted ground, caramelized sugar and unsweetened chocolate for the sweetened chocolate in the recipe, increasing the sugar by about one-fourth to make up for the reduced sweeteness level that comes from caramelizing.  The one thing I did differently this time around was to put the sugar in the eggs so that it would dissolve and also boost the egg foam structure.  I think the stronger egg foam made the mousse lighter, taller, and less dense, but also made it take longer to bake to 150F in the center.  It was delicious, but perhaps a teensy bit grainy compared to the classic oblivion, not sure if that was from a less-smooth unsweetened chocolate, or from the hazelnut paste (this was very finely processed, bought from L’epicerie).

I appreciate the cross section there (roulade), too, as I’m never sure what the frosting to cake ratio of these is supposed to look like, so I’ve never made one.

This one might be considered a bit heavy on the filling, I always fight the urge to spread too thick a layer of filling with roulades.  My almond biscuit roulades never, ever seem to be as thick as Rose’s picture in TCB, not sure why as I can get a genoise to be a good height.  Perhaps it’s an oven thing- overbaking, or maybe my almond flour is never as finely ground and weighs down the batter more.  But in general it’s supposed to be a thin cake so it will be flexible enough to roll without cracking.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 05 April 2013 03:14 PM

Everything you make looks like it is professionally baked.

Thanks so much, FG!  Part of the reason I hadn’t posted in a while was that none of the projects seemed particularly pretty (especially the roulade- which I traveled with, and the oblivion, which was just a slice), so it’s very nice to hear that they passed muster smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I think they are all beautiful and more importantly, they all look delicious!

Posted: 05 April 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you for the notes!!!!  And I agree—they are beautiful!!!!!!!

Posted: 06 April 2013 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

I agree with everyone else - they all look beautiful and sound delicious. The roulade reminds me that I haven’t made anything lemony for a while….the buttercream from the golden dream wedding cake is one of my favourites.

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much for the kind words, Sophia!

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Julie, I always enjoy reading your postings on the show and tell forum.  These are no exception.  They are all just stunning. 
I love the apple dumplings.  I can’t believe how puffy the pastry is.  Like Anne, said,  they look like they were made from puff pastry.

How much Frangelico did you use for the chocolate domingo cake?  I would never have thought to syrup it.  What was the texture of the cake like after you syruped it.

Thanks for explaining you variation of the oblivion truffle torte.  The flavors sound amazing.  I made this quite a few years ago and I remember it being very rich, but so so good.

Posted: 07 April 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Liza, for the encouragement!  smile

Lately my piping tips have been languishing in the back of my pantry, and I don’t seem to spend as much time as I used to decorating or taking photos.  But the baking is still happening and being enjoyed!  My focus has shifted a bit- developing recipes- so I’m more likely to spend time on a test bake or two than on piping. 

re: Frangelico syrup, looks like I didn’t take exact notes.  I remember that I followed my usual protocol for syruping butter cakes, which starts with using bleached AP flour instead of cake flour.  I used the quantity of syrup for butter cakes noted in the wedding cake section of TCB (1 c of syrup for every 1.5 cups of sugar in the recipe).  Because Frangelico is quite sweet and often stays in the background, I increased the Frangelico a bit and reduced the sugar in the syrup as compared to the recipe on p.505.  The texture is less tender and more fudge-y, and bit more moist than the same cake made with cake flour and left unsyruped.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Do you use bleached AP flour for all your butter cakes, or just the ones you are going to syrup?  I must try this!

Posted: 08 April 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Just the butter cakes I plan to syrup.  For me, the tender texture and subtle, floral flavor that cake flour produces doesn’t pair well with syruping.  It’s too cloying for me.  I think, though, that I’m in the minority there, plenty of people like syruped cake flour butter cakes just fine.

Signature 

‹‹ Some Easter Treats      Unicorn Poop cookies ››