RHC Chocolate Butter Cupcakes
Posted: 05 April 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2011-04-30

I have tried baking this recipe twice already and twice, the cupcake liners always peel off the cupcakes. I let the cupcakes cool enough to handle and allow it to cool on cooling racks. I am beginning to speculate that it may be a recipe issue because I never have any problem with the liners literally falling off the cupcakes as it cools. I do not think it is condensation causing the problem because I take it out from the pans almost immediately. However, I notice that this is an oilier recipe evidenced by the greasy or wet appearance of the paper liners. I also do not think it is an issue of liner brands because I have been using the same liners for all my cupcake recipes all the time with out any problems. I appreciate any information you can share with me.

Thank you.

Posted: 06 April 2013 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

This is a very common complaint with the recipe and I don’t think anyone has an answer. You might try asking on the blog and see if Rose will respond. I’d point out to her than *many* people have this problem.

You can use this posting to attach your question:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2012/07/ask_your_questions_5.html#c329676

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Forum member Bill pursued this issue doggedly, you might want to search some of his threads.  Basically, I think he came to the conclusion that the creaming method worked best for him.

I rarely have this issue, but when I do it is usually the cupcakes around the pan edges, which makes me think it could be related to an oven that is running slightly hot or else a pan that is too dark.  I like silver-colored pans for most cakes.

I’ve only made the RHC chocolate butter cupcakes once, they were too tender for me (too many crumbs), although the flavor was wonderful and the thin, crisp crust on top was to die for.  My favorite cupcake recipes are the deep choco passion from RHC (german choc cake or designer baby grands), which is a chocolate chiffon cake, or else the chocolate fudge cake from the Cake Bible. 

Good luck, and please report back if you pursue this further!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 08 April 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you everyone. I am just happy to know that I am not the only one that experienced this problem. I had to make a new batch of cupcakes for a birthday party using the German Chocolate Cake instead. Though I liked the flavor or the chocolate butter cupcakes, I may have to use it for making a small cake out of it. I will try to post it on Rose’s blog to see if I get a reply and follow Bill’s threads. My speculation is that the recipe was just a tad too oily and the condensation upon cooling make the paper peel away from the cupcakes. Then again, it’s a wild card…LOL!

I appreciate all your feedback and thanks again.

Posted: 08 April 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

P.S.
I also observed a lot of shrinkage with this recipe. Can anyone share a good chocolate cupcake recipe? Can you share a good tip to lessen the shrinkage of cakes/cupcakes, too?

Thanks.

Posted: 08 April 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12
Jack Alix - 08 April 2013 06:21 PM

P.S.
I also observed a lot of shrinkage with this recipe. Can anyone share a good chocolate cupcake recipe? Can you share a good tip to lessen the shrinkage of cakes/cupcakes, too?

Thanks.

Hi jack,
The chocolate cupcake I’ve tried years ago that i really liked was the one by Jacques Torres. It is somewhat dark. Yes, the dark side grin I also love the Hershey recipe called Black Magic. I like the ones w/ coffee.

Posted: 11 April 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks for all your advise and will try the difference recipes you suggested to find out what suits me the best.
Below is Rose and Woody’s reply regarding this issue:

Hi Jack,
During our testing we did not have your described problem when the liners were sprayed with Baker’s Joy as stated in the preparation.
We ask:
1. Did you use baking spray with flour on your liners?
2. Have you baked other chocolate cupcake recipes, as chocolate recipes are known to stick to liners?
Rose & Woody

Regretfully, the advise was not helpful to me because I arrived at the same disappointing results both with and without spraying the liners with baking spray. I will continue to try and experiment with other chocolate cupcake recipes till I find the best one.

Thanks,
Jack

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

I have never ever sprayed cupcake liners.. That is not required.  Maybe ask someone who owns a cupcake shop?