Wedding cake results
Posted: 05 April 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-01-26

I wrote to the cake forum a while back with some questions about applying mocha Mousseline BC on a wedding cake.  Well, here are the results.  It didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted it.  I tried to make the BC smooth.  But it got really blotchy in color; I don’t know why.  So the night before the wedding I added leftover BC in the texture you see.  Luckily, the color ended up uniform.  I also found that even when I spread the BC right after making it, it had little holes (air bubbles?).  I don’t know how to avoid that.  I also had some problems with adhesion, even when the cake was at room temp.

I made the roses from gumpaste.  Can’t even count the number of youtube videos I watched on the technique!  I ended up throwing away my first attempts, but I’m happy with the final product.

The cake is Rose’s chocolate buttercake from TCB, was the Mousseline BC.  Everyone at the wedding thought it was delicious.

Image Attachments
wedding cake photo 2.jpgwedding cake photo.jpg

Posted: 05 April 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
razastrakhan - 05 April 2013 11:39 PM

it had little holes (air bubbles?)

I’m the last person in the world who should weigh in on frosting issues, because my result often looks like I’ve fallen down the stairs with it, but I’ve read that the air bubbles can be removed by stirring the frosting very slowly, particularly with a large spatula of some sort.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

I’ll try that next time!

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Your cake is really beautiful. I love the colours of the roses (I thought they were real until I read your post!) with the choclolate and I particularly like the finish you used on the sides…..it’s a distinctive look that sets it apart from other cakes.

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I agree you did am amazing job on the roses, they look completely real.  And the cake sounds delicious, too!

re: bubbles in the buttercream, this is normal and what makes the buttercream light and fluffy (well, as light and fluffy as a buttercream can be).  I find that making the buttercream ahead and storing it, then rebeating with a hand whisk just long enough to restore the emulsion will produce a denser, less bubbly buttercream. 

re: the color streaking/mottling on the cake, that is also air bubble related.  There is a limited window in which to continue to work the buttercream.  Once this window passes, the buttercream softens and turns spongy.  This is actually desirable for eating, because it produces a soft, melting mouthfeel.  But if you try to work the buttercream after it has softened and turned spongy, the air bubbles will compress and the color will darken, producing a mottled appearance.  I’ve only seen this issue come up on tiered cakes, because of the length of time that it takes to frost them, especially if you are trying to produce a smooth finish.

Next time, it’s important to frost the tiers one at a time, finishing all the smoothing and then re-beating the frosting briefly before moving to the next tier.

From your description of the buttercream not adhering to the cake, I thought to check on your sugar temp, and on the frrosting temp.  If the hot sugar syrup exceeded 250F the butttercream will be too stiff, or if the buttercream was too cool it will also be too stiff. 

For a smooth finish, a lot of bakers rely on a bench scraper that has been warmed in hot water then wiped dry.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
razastrakhan - 05 April 2013 11:39 PM

I wrote to the cake forum a while back with some questions about applying mocha Mousseline BC on a wedding cake.  Well, here are the results.  It didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted it.  I tried to make the BC smooth.  But it got really blotchy in color; I don’t know why.  So the night before the wedding I added leftover BC in the texture you see.  Luckily, the color ended up uniform.  I also found that even when I spread the BC right after making it, it had little holes (air bubbles?).  I don’t know how to avoid that.  I also had some problems with adhesion, even when the cake was at room temp.

I made the roses from gumpaste.  Can’t even count the number of youtube videos I watched on the technique!  I ended up throwing away my first attempts, but I’m happy with the final product.

The cake is Rose’s chocolate buttercake from TCB, was the Mousseline BC.  Everyone at the wedding thought it was delicious.

Beautiful! I bet everyone loved it

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I love the way your cake looks—both the finish and flowers.  The finish reminds me of something sculpted in clay.  It’s super pretty!  Sometimes when things don’t work out exactly as you hoped, you get something even better!

Posted: 06 April 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Beautiful cake.  Your sugar roses are stunning.  I too thought they were real before I read your post.  You did an excellent job on them. 

I have taught myself so many different techniques using You Tube.  There are alot of great cake decorating tutorials on You Tube.

Posted: 06 April 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.  You are all most encouraging! 

Julie- on the problem of adhesion, it wasn’t the BC adhering to the cake that was the problem.  I had put on a crumb coat without any difficulties.  It happened when I was putting on the subsequent coats, especially when I was fussing over the BC, trying to get it smooth.  I actually froze the cakes with the crumb coat on, but let them thaw in the fridge a couple of days and then come to room temp before applying more BC.

It’s interesting that you find the BC less bubbly after storing and re-beating.  I had made a test cake earlier for which I made the BC ahead.  I froze it, then let it come to room temp before beating it (maybe too much!) and putting it on the cake.  I found that BC bubbly and thought it was because I had frozen it, which is why I went out of my way to make the BC for the final coats on the wedding cake on the same day I applied it.

I tried using a bench scraper to smooth the BC but never got it really smooth before it started getting blotchy.  I had read somewhere that using a warm bench scraper on this kind of BC can cause color changes.  I thought maybe that was why I was having color problems.  But I’m sure my technique needs improvement! 

It was a fun project!  I still have one unmarried daughter, so maybe I’ll get to try it again!

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2012-01-12

your cake is very elegant…  Your Roses are perfect.. very nice.

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thank you, prettycake!

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Well done! Very nice Roses decor!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thank you, cookie monster!