Wedding cake results
Posted: 05 April 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-01-26

I wrote to the cake forum a while back with some questions about applying mocha Mousseline BC on a wedding cake.  Well, here are the results.  It didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted it.  I tried to make the BC smooth.  But it got really blotchy in color; I don’t know why.  So the night before the wedding I added leftover BC in the texture you see.  Luckily, the color ended up uniform.  I also found that even when I spread the BC right after making it, it had little holes (air bubbles?).  I don’t know how to avoid that.  I also had some problems with adhesion, even when the cake was at room temp.

I made the roses from gumpaste.  Can’t even count the number of youtube videos I watched on the technique!  I ended up throwing away my first attempts, but I’m happy with the final product.

The cake is Rose’s chocolate buttercake from TCB, was the Mousseline BC.  Everyone at the wedding thought it was delicious.

Image Attachments
wedding cake photo 2.jpgwedding cake photo.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

I’ll try that next time!

Posted: 06 April 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.  You are all most encouraging! 

Julie- on the problem of adhesion, it wasn’t the BC adhering to the cake that was the problem.  I had put on a crumb coat without any difficulties.  It happened when I was putting on the subsequent coats, especially when I was fussing over the BC, trying to get it smooth.  I actually froze the cakes with the crumb coat on, but let them thaw in the fridge a couple of days and then come to room temp before applying more BC.

It’s interesting that you find the BC less bubbly after storing and re-beating.  I had made a test cake earlier for which I made the BC ahead.  I froze it, then let it come to room temp before beating it (maybe too much!) and putting it on the cake.  I found that BC bubbly and thought it was because I had frozen it, which is why I went out of my way to make the BC for the final coats on the wedding cake on the same day I applied it.

I tried using a bench scraper to smooth the BC but never got it really smooth before it started getting blotchy.  I had read somewhere that using a warm bench scraper on this kind of BC can cause color changes.  I thought maybe that was why I was having color problems.  But I’m sure my technique needs improvement! 

It was a fun project!  I still have one unmarried daughter, so maybe I’ll get to try it again!

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thank you, prettycake!

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Thank you, cookie monster!