Has Anyone Frozen TCB Chocolate Fondant?
Posted: 14 April 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m planning to try out fondant for the first time- took me long enough!  red face

The cake will be frosted in white chocolate mousseline and will be decorated with chocolate fondant polka dots.  My question is, has anyone successfully frozen/defrosted TCB chocolate fondant?  If so, I’d be grateful for details/help/tips. 

This is a tiered cake and will need to be ready during a weekend when I have a house full of guests, so it would be a huge relief to have it completely done and frozen well ahead of time, with only defrosting and then stacking at the venue left to do.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 April 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Julie,
First of all, fondant is my life grin
Fondant do not need freezing. Unless what is in the cake is the reason why. After u cover your cake w/ fondant or decorate , assuming no buttercream is on it,  wrap the entire cake w/ plastic wrap while it is in the fridge. Fondant can get moist or wet uncovered when you take it put of the fridge. I have never frozen a fondant covered cake. When I was entering in competitions, I make my cakes ahead of time, freeze them undecorated, then cover it w/ fondant then refrigerate loosely covered w/ plastic wrap . Fondant takes months or even never for it to go bad, it will just get very firm and dry. but no funny smell or molds or anything like that, BUT, if it is just “dots”, u can add those dots on there on the day you need the cake. If not small pieces of fondant should be fine to freeze.  At first I was thinking the entire cake. Fondant is fondant, chocolate or not.  One reasons why I use fondant a lot,  it that they are so easy to deal with.  No fuzz no mess and they can be colored beautifully colored.  With fondant you can make anything, flowers, drapes, figures, any shape any form. And you if you make a mistake,  you can just easily pick it up and redo it.

Can’t wait to see your creation.

Posted: 14 April 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, I hesitated to respond to your question, because I am not ‘into’ decorating cakes, I just love making them!  But i was reading about fondant last evening on various blogs and read the same advice as Prettycake has just imparted to you, it was on Baking 911 actually, if you want to look it up.  I, like Prettycake , will be looking out for your cake when you have completed it, please put up a picture if you can.

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thank you, PC and Jeannette!  I had looked into the topic at several sites, but wondered if there might be any issues because the fondant is homemade and chocolate, and because it is just circles stuck on buttercream, not a whole cake covered in fondant.  There were some comments that you can only freeze fondant if it is over a powdered sugar/shortening buttercream, etc.  I guess the only way to be completely sure is to try it on a test cake.  smile

Jeanette, I’m like you- more into baking than decorating, but this is a cake for kids and I know how excited/happy they get by a little decorating. smile  I will try to take photos, the last two times I made a tiered cake there was just too much going on, too much stuff to transport, etc., and I forgot to bring my camera :(  That’s why I was hoping it would work to completely finish the cakes and then freeze, so that all I had to do was defrost, transport and stack.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Julie, you, like I probably googled and found the responses on Cake Central that says freezing should work fine.  That is, defrost/thaw in a cool room or refrigerator.  However, noone mentioned just having fondant attachments.  I have put fondant attachments on a cake before.  I made certain cake was chilled and fondant stayed fine.  With just dots, I would just make the dots and attach while cake is cool.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 April 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, CRenee!

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2013 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12
CRenee - 16 April 2013 12:56 AM

Julie, you, like I probably googled and found the responses on Cake Central that says freezing should work fine.  That is, defrost/thaw in a cool room or refrigerator.  However, noone mentioned just having fondant attachments.  I have put fondant attachments on a cake before.  I made certain cake was chilled and fondant stayed fine.  With just dots, I would just make the dots and attach while cake is cool.

As I have stated in my first reply, if they are small pieces, then that should be OK.