Using sugar in buttercream and cake recipes
Posted: 14 April 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-14

I am a newbie here and at cake baking and decorating.  I have taken all of the Wilton courses and several others.  Also learning from books.  Just got the Cake bible and love it, taking a big jump in my cake baking here. My questions:  I have always made buttercream from essentially the Wilton recipes or Toba Garrett , using powdered sugar. I have never used granulated or yolks.  Can anyone tell me the difference in taste, texture.  I am assuming it is not a sweet.  About to try the neo classic.  Also I assume the sugar in the cake recipes are also for the extra fine granulated sugar or can I just use my regular sugar.  A little overwhelmed with this book.  Thanks you.

Posted: 14 April 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh my, you’re about to discover how wonderful buttercreams are when they are super-smooth, creamy and not too sweet, enjoy!  Rose’s recipes are great for venturing outside of your comfort zone, good luck!

a few tips for making the neoclassic buttercream:

-You can use standard granulated white sugar for the buttercreams, no need to go with superfine.  Superfine is great for cakes as it helps produce a fine texture.

-Be sure to boil the sugar syrup until it bubbles vigorously all over, not just a few bubbles in the middle.

-Be sure to weigh or measure the yolks, most eggs have smaller yolks now than when this book was written.

-Be sure to flavor it according to one of the flavor variations, these buttercreams are too rich on their own (plain) and need a flavoring to be their best.

and a few more tips for frosting/decorating with the buttercream:

-This will be softer than you’re used to for decorating, which makes it really nice to eat.  If you’re piping with it, use temperature to control the firmness, stopping to cool it as necessary if it becomes too soft.  A chilled cake can be helpful.  The neoclassic is delicious and easier to make, but it is also the softest of the buttercreams made with hot sugar syrup.  The best one for piping is mousseline.

-This will be yellow in color due to the yolks and butter, so don’t plan on tinting it blue or any color that doesn’t have yellow in it.

-Be sure to re-whip it whenever it has been sitting for a while, and don’t go back and re-work the cake once it has been frosted and then allowed to sit for a while.  These types of buttercreams soften (Rose calls it “turning spongy”) after sitting for a bit, which makes them soft and nice to eat, but if you try to spread, smooth or pipe with them after they’ve softened they will be too soft to work with until you whisk them again (hand whisk or machine, either works just fine).

Have fun!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 April 2013 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-16

It was such a wonderful tips for making cake. I will definitely keep this in mind when I prepare cake.

Signature 

maison neuve