1 of 2
Rose’s Ginger Pennies
Posted: 14 April 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  317
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi!

Seems I’ve been staying in the background forever, watching and learning a lot from everyone here and enjooying every minute, so ‘Thanks’.

I was hunting for an Amish cookbook at the antique shop and found, ‘Rose’s Christmas Cookie’ cookbook. I was really excited when I saw it and had to have it, my first and only. So, I’ve been looking through it and have decided to make the ‘Ginger Pennies’. 

I usually do well making cookies, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has attempted this recipe. They look delicious, so I’m inspired and I just happen to have all the ingredients in my cupboard. 

Thanks for any help!

Abbey

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t made these but I did hear from a forum member a while back that they were her favorite, she makes them over and over again.  If you do make them, please consider posting a picture and letting us know how you liked them.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

So glad you have enjoyed the forum.  Congratulations on your find!!!  Do share a photo.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 April 2013 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I certainly will share. I’d planned on baking them last night, but my Grandma needed me, so I will try it again next Sunday night-my ideal time for baking.

Rose made a comment about how one should keep them small so as to not lose their unique daintiness. smile

I will be reading this cookbook a lot and look forward to adding more of her books to my collection.  What fun!

Thank You!

Abbey

Posted: 16 July 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-07-16

My mother in law recently gave me a bunch of old cookbooks she had, and included among them were “Rose’s Celebrations” and “Rose’s Christmas Cookies!” It was an unexpected treasure, indeed! My stepmother gave me “The Cake Bible” and “The Pie and Pastry Bible” as Christmas gifts a year and a half ago, knowing I enjoyed baking. With Rose’s recipes, it became a true passion, and I got a cottage food permit and began selling wedding and party cakes from home. I loved this creative outlet, while I stay home with my young girls (6, 4, and 2). I recently found this forum and am thrilled to find a bunch of others who love to bake like I do!

http://citrusspicebakery.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 September 2013 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

I haven’t tried that particular recipe but it sounds really good. I have made the Cheese Dollars when I had some guests for dinner. They all hovered around the tray of Cheese Dollars and only crumbs remained a short time later. Everybody loved them.

That is a great book. I have to use it more often. Thanks for bringing this recipe to my attention.

Posted: 28 September 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl and everyone else-

That was a long time ago when I posted that and still haven’ t gotten around to that recipe. I will look at the recipe for the Cheese Dollars—I think the book is great and hope to get some of the cake cook books soon since I want to try my luck at making a cake from scratch. I’ve read most of the posts since I joined this forum and it all seems really interesting to me. I need the cook books and a scale for weighing the ingredients.

I dream and wish I had more time to do all of these things that interest me, so maybe one day, when I don’t have to work for a living, it will happen…:)

My sister wants to shop at some of the antique shops today—you never know what you might find…! 

Posted: 29 September 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Well, Flour Girl, you convinced me to take a look at those Cheese Dollars. I have all the ingredients except for the cayenne pepper-the recipe calls for a pinch only, but I’m sure it is necessary for the savoriness. Hmmmm, what do to.

Do you think I could omit that ingredient???     

I have grand plans which include baking, not only the Cheese Dollars, but also, the Ginger Pennies, Oatmeal cookies and my first cake from scratch. I hope I can live up to this plan and produce something I can be proud of. I’m really looking forward to the cake and wish I had the cookbook. I just might have to order it online…  For now, I will use the recipe on the box of the cake flour. 

I also just bought some of the cutest cupcake papers and a cupcake pan with little metal prongs in the center that hold something like a chocolate kiss, or a Reese’s . I’ll have use my imagination and hopefully think up a really good combination.

So, I guess I will include cupcakes in my plan. Might as well do all I can while in the kitchen, right?

Thanks, Flour Girl, for replying to my post—you inspired me and I sure needed it.

I’ll try to post some pics later, if I’m able. I might be pooped out after this marathon, but I’ll be happy. wink

Posted: 30 September 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, abbey!

Do you have paprika?  If it is a touch spicy, you could use it.  If it’s not as hot as cayenne, just use a bit more of it.  I’ve had cheese dollar-type crackers—not Rose’s, but others—and I find the cayenne really adds to the flavor.  If you don’t have paprika, you can use a dash of hot sauce.

However, you can omit it entirely—they will be different, but still good.  I don’t know why cayenne works so well with cheese, but it really gives it dimension. 

I’m not sure if regular pepper—or white pepper—would work.  It would be different than cayenne, to be sure (whereas paprika and hot sauce would be similar), but it still might add a nice kick. 

You could go a completely different direction and use sage or dill.  Cheese with sage is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Never tried these in a cracker/cookie, though…..

Another option would be to sprinkle them with parmesan before baking.  It doesn’t have the heat of cayenne (obviously), but it has it’s own “kick” like cayenne.

Happy baking!!!!!

—ak

Posted: 30 September 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Anne,

Thank you for all the ideas-and since I made them, but didn’t have time to bake them, so they are still in the fridge, I think parmesan is a greet idea. I will also buy some cayenne.  I used regular black pepper, but didn’t think of paprika which I did have in the cupboard-I could add all kinds of flavors into the next batch!

I also baked the Ginger Pennies and tested them on friends and family-I thought they were exceptionally good, as did everyone else. The aroma and flavor were eye opening to say the least. Well worth the effort.

Also, I am so happy to report that my first attempt at baking a cake, from scratch, turned out quite well. It did sink a little but probably from my mistake when I forgot to add the soda into the flour before sifting. I did add it later and whisked it in as thoroughly as possibly. I cant’ wait to do that again—I really enjoyed that. I didn’t have time to make any kind of icing and wondered what would be the best for such a cake. It really tastes good plain but I will need something very lightly sweetened, so as to not take away from the delicate taste of the cake.

The cake recipe called for almond extract and it is definitely noticeable, so another thing to consider.

I tried to post pictures last night, but kept getting an error. Only 800 x 600 pixels accepted, which is what I selected when editing the pic so???

I will try again later, when I have more time to play. Thanks Again, Anne!!

Posted: 30 September 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 29 September 2013 01:45 PM

Well, Flour Girl, you convinced me to take a look at those Cheese Dollars. I have all the ingredients except for the cayenne pepper-the recipe calls for a pinch only, but I’m sure it is necessary for the savoriness. Hmmmm, what do to.

Do you think I could omit that ingredient???     

I have grand plans which include baking, not only the Cheese Dollars, but also, the Ginger Pennies, Oatmeal cookies and my first cake from scratch. I hope I can live up to this plan and produce something I can be proud of. I’m really looking forward to the cake and wish I had the cookbook. I just might have to order it online…  For now, I will use the recipe on the box of the cake flour. 

I also just bought some of the cutest cupcake papers and a cupcake pan with little metal prongs in the center that hold something like a chocolate kiss, or a Reese’s . I’ll have use my imagination and hopefully think up a really good combination.

So, I guess I will include cupcakes in my plan. Might as well do all I can while in the kitchen, right?

Thanks, Flour Girl, for replying to my post—you inspired me and I sure needed it.

I’ll try to post some pics later, if I’m able. I might be pooped out after this marathon, but I’ll be happy. wink

Hi Abbey,

When I made the Cheese Dollars I didn’t use cayenne because my husband cannot tolerate it. My son, who loves spicy food, never noticed the Cheese Dollars was missing anything. In fact, it was hard prying him away from the dish.

Before finding Rose’s books, I had only made a few cakes from scratch. I was definitely a newbie at baking but that quickly changed with just one of Rose’s recipes. I remember bringing my first Rose cake to an employee function. Everyone was wondering who brought “THAT” cake. It was that good!

I definitely think you should get a copy of Rose’s books. If you have access to a library, that would be a good way to start. Rose’s recipes are very easy to follow. A scale is definitely the way to go but the recipes are in volume measurements too so that anyone can use her recipes. And, if you have any issue or questions, this forum is a great source of support and information.

My first Rose book was Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. I now have all of Rose’s books but still favor Rose’s Heavenly Cakes book the most because most of the recipes have a full-color picture of the finished cake. Also, each recipe is complete with a frosting, adornment or filling. This book makes it very easy to jump in and create extraordinary baked goods.

The cupcake pan you bought sounds very cool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like that.

I’m glad you are inspired. I am as well. And, I believe, that inspiration is reflected in the things I bake. From a newbie I became a cake lady. Rose’s recipes raise the bar. I bet you will be considered the cake lady by your friends and family too!

Good luck and please let us know what you are baking grin

Posted: 30 September 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

First off—I love your name. You should have seen me in the kitchen yesterday with the flour flying.  Only because I had just bought a sifter, thinking it would be so nice to have one that would hold more than a cup. I don’t know what was with it but it would not sift. I had to slap it and shake it just to get it to work and it still took forever.

So, anyway, I will buy the Heavenly Cake Book, no doubt. Just the compliments I received today surprised me so I am looking forward to trying Rose’s Recipes. If I see a good scale on sale, I’ll buy it, otherwise, I’m sure it will be fine. Thanks for telling me. 

As for the cupcake pan-I googles it and tried to add the link but the size exceeded what is allowed. though I’ve seen links posted here. I’ll figure it out eventually…;) They were listed at Target.

But, I am really having fun trying to think up different ways to make those cupcakes. I only used two pans for the cake last night, though the recipe called for three, so I’d have enough to make cupcakes..well, you know how that goes. I only had enough to fill the cupcakes with the flower holders. The article showed how you could also use cornbread with a spicy center-sounds good!

So, thanks Flour Girl, I am inspired and loving every minute of it. I look forward to the fun.

Image Attachments
cupcake.jpggincook1.jpg

Posted: 30 September 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 September 2013 05:49 PM

First off—I love your name.

Thank you! smile

So, anyway, I will buy the Heavenly Cake Book, no doubt. Just the compliments I received today surprised me so I am looking forward to trying Rose’s Recipes. If I see a good scale on sale, I’ll buy it, otherwise, I’m sure it will be fine. Thanks for telling me.

Cool! I can’t wait to hear about your baking adventures and all the compliments you are sure to get!

As for the cupcake pan-I googles it and tried to add the link but the size exceeded what is allowed. though I’ve seen links posted here. I’ll figure it out eventually…;) They were listed at Target.

How did you try to add the link? Did you use the button on top of the box where you write your post. The button to use looks like this:  <a> Then you copy and paste the link in the box provided.

When posting pics on this forum, the size of the image cannot exceed 400KB.

You can search for an image resizer on line. If you use this particular resizer you can click on the 600 pixel option. It should work for this forum.  If you have an issue posting a pic, just let me know and I will walk you through it. It’s easy after the first time.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

But, I am really having fun trying to think up different ways to make those cupcakes. I only used two pans for the cake last night, though the recipe called for three, so I’d have enough to make cupcakes..well, you know how that goes. I only had enough to fill the cupcakes with the flower holders. The article showed how you could also use cornbread with a spicy center-sounds good!

I’m very happy to hear that! It sounds like you are one of us now! Welcome!

So, thanks Flour Girl

Anytime Abbey

I am inspired and loving every minute of it. I look forward to the fun.

I’m really happy for you and can’t wait to hear about your journey in extraordinary baking.

Posted: 30 September 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 September 2013 05:49 PM

First off—I love your name. You should have seen me in the kitchen yesterday with the flour flying.  Only because I had just bought a sifter, thinking it would be so nice to have one that would hold more than a cup. I don’t know what was with it but it would not sift. I had to slap it and shake it just to get it to work and it still took forever.

It looks as though it was well-worth the effort. Your baking looks perfect and delicious!

Beautiful pics! Thank you for sharing Abbey cool smile

Posted: 01 October 2013 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you, Flour Girl, for the most appreciated warm welcome-I will try to make the best cakes ever and will gladly share my progress. 

This is a wonderful forum, with very nice and knowledgeable people.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Abbey smile   

Posted: 06 November 2013 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi everyone,

Thought I would join in the conversation when I saw the words ‘Ginger pennies’!

They’re a favourite in my family among many others of Rose’s recipes!

I’m wondering if anyone has tried making the crescents or mahogany buttercrunch from her Christmas cookie book?

I’m doing a whole bunch of cookies as Christmas presents this year and am wondering if people have tried these recipes as I’ve tried many but not there and want to put them in the hampers for this year!

Thanks in advance smile

Tonia

1 of 2