Strawberry shortcake—the more elegant version
Posted: 14 April 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Yesterday I had a picnic with friends and decided to make a more elegant version of a strawberry shortcake. I used the Buttermilk Country Cake and layered it with Strawberry Conserve, fresh sliced strawberries (macerated with some sugar and rosewater), and some Strawberry Jam Cream (made with the Strawberry Conserves and homemade creme fraiche), and the frosting was with the whipped cream. I thought the tangy whipped creme fraiche frosting would be the perfect compliment to the buttermilk cake and also to the strawberries (strawberries and cream….classic combo). The cake was delicious—-tasted like the essence of strawberries.

This was my first time working with whipped cream frostings, and last week I got some useful tips from Julie on the forum. It was somewhat of a challenge to put this cake together, because butter cakes like to be warm, but whipped cream likes to be cold. I needed to bring this cake unrefrigerated to a picnic and have it not melt into a puddle within 4-5 hours. Initially, I considered the White Ganache, mostly whipped cream stabilized with a bit of white chocolate. However, I don’t quite like the flavor of white chocolate and didn’t want it to interfere with the strawberry. I remembered Hector Wong had a special technique for stabilizing whipped cream. I browsed through his blog and found the post. Whip the cream to soft peaks in a room temp bowl. Then put it in the fridge overnight and whip to stiff peaks the next day. The result should be stable for 4 hours at room temp. This really fascinated me. The fact that you don’t need to use cornstarch or gelatin, etc. to stabilize whipped cream. I had to try this. Of course, my whipped cream would also be stabilized by the thickness of the creme fraiche and also the pectin in the strawberry conserve. Well, it worked pretty well. I made the frosting first thing in the morning and shaped a spoonful into a quenelle and then put in on a small plate. By afternoon, it still held the shape and no watering out!

My gripes about the cake… The whipped cream frosting was delicious, but I found the texture to be a bit too soft. I was hoping for a mousse-like, spongy texture. I think I will add gelatin next time to get that effect. Of course a butter cake would be traditional for a strawberry shortcake, but I find that I prefer lighter sponge cakes instead. Butter cakes are a little too rich for my tastes. I never liked pound cakes, etc. much either. This strawberry shortcake could also work with a genoise syruped with a mixture of Frangelico, Chambord, splash of rosewater, and the strawberry macerating syrup. Or for a compromise between a rich butter cake and a light sponge cake—-the Golden Genoise!

Image Attachments
541626_10151554769599767_1746150384_n.jpg535887_10151554769624767_896031298_n.jpg

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

This is really beautiful and sounds absolutely delicious!  So glad to hear that the refrigerating overnight trick worked for stabilizing whipped cream smile  Love the presentation.  Looking at your fresh strawberries is making me anticipate summer and all the fresh fruit that will be available. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

The strawberries right now are still pretty underripe and somewhat bland, but macerating them in a bit of sugar and rosewater really brought out the flavor and aroma!

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

That looks delicious!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 April 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks so good. I love the Buttermilk cake. I never thought of torting it. I love the way you frosted it too.

Posted: 26 April 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Yummmm! Looks great!

Posted: 20 May 2013 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

This cake looks yummy!! Rose’s Buttermilk Country Cake is one of my all-time favorite cakes…thanks for sharing a new way to serve it! I also love strawberry shortcake so I may try this. Thanks for the great tips!

‹‹ Apricot kumquat cake      Chang’s Pop Tarts ››