Dry chocolate cakes :(
Posted: 14 April 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-14

I just made my 1st 2 cakes from TCB: The Perfect All American Chocolate Cake and the Domingo Chocolate Cake.
The texture and are amazing in both- light and airy. Yummy.  However, they both taste dry as we chew, like we really want to get a drink to wash it down. It looks ok, used the baking strips,oven thermometer, ready at the beginning of the baking times, springing back easily, but the edges are a bit dark and crusty. Weighed all ingredients. Also, they are so fluffy, would they holdup to buttercream in the layers and on top when sliced?
Has anyone made these cakes? I think I’ll go have another bite, with a glass of milk.  Very tasty.
Thank you.

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

They sound delicious!

re: being dry, it sounds like you did everything right.  A few things to check on- was your pan size correct, do you have a oven thermometer to confirm that it isn’t running hot, did you use cake flour, and did you eat the cake the same day it was baked?  If those things check out, it may just be that you are used to a different style of cake.  You could try an oil cake for a moister mouthfeel, or else consider syruping these cakes according to the guidelines in the wedding cake section (1 cup of syrup for every 1.5 cups of sugar in the recipe).

Almost forgot, there’s one other thing to check, was your cocoa the full-fat variety, with 20% or more cocoa butter by weight?  Brands such as Hershey have only around 9-10% cocoa butter by weight and can sometimes contribute to a dry texture.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 April 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2009-07-31
Almost forgot, there’s one other thing to check, was your cocoa the full-fat variety, with 20% or more cocoa butter by weight?  Brands such as Hershey have only around 9-10% cocoa butter by weight and can sometimes contribute to a dry texture.

That?s interesting.
I have been asking myself if all cocoas have the same relation weigh/volume.
I feel that my chocolate domingo cake tastes different o is bitterer o drier,
whenever I use different brands, but I never thought about cocoas?different % of fat.

Anyway, the Domingo cake is always welcome, dry or not.