Craftsy - UPDATED
Posted: 15 April 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Craftsy http://www.craftsy.com apparently has been in business for about 18 months.  I love it.  I know most of us are more into baking than cake decorating.  I know I am!!  However, there are some specific cake decorating techniques I want to master.  I do have some cake deco goals (as mentioned in the post about Bucket List. 

One of those goals is sugar flowers, another is draping fondant or modeling chocolate. 

Sugar flowers is one of those goals.  Craftsy offers forever access to classes on a variety of topics.  You can ask questions and the instructor eventually (typically quickly) answers.  You also can see other students questions.  They provide a list of materials, diagrams, etc. 

In addition to cake decorating, they have Food Craft (Peter Rheinhart and Alice Medrich), Crocheting, sewing, knitting, and more.  And, there are are couple of free classes so you can get an idea of how the forum works.  WARNING:  It was the free class on Modern Buttercream that got me hooked.  A lot of the cake decorating classes focus on Fondant but I still have learned some things that will be helpful. 

A lot of the tips you may already know but I have learned some things..  The class Clean and Simple Cakes from Jessica Harris shows the upside down frosting method. 

Yes, you can find some of this info on Youtube, etc. but these are well known names with professional production and a money-back guarantee!! 

Can you tell I just love it…and am hooked?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 April 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

I too discovered Craftsy a few months ago and I am hooked!  I loved Elisa Strauss’ handbag cake class.  I also purchased Jessica Harris’ class but haven’t had time to watch it yet along with a few others.  I also only purchase them when I can get them on sale for $14.99 or $19.99.  But they are still worth paying the full price for.

Posted: 16 April 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Wow!!  Thanks so much for posting this CRenee.  I never heard of Craftsy till now.  I took a look on the site and it looks awesome.  Will have to take a better look when I get home from work tonight.  Thank-you!!!

Posted: 16 April 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Way Cool! Thank you CRenee! It looks like a great site and I need all the help I can get grin

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Kathy1 - 16 April 2013 02:00 PM

I too discovered Craftsy a few months ago and I am hooked!  I loved Elisa Strauss’ handbag cake class.  I also purchased Jessica Harris’ class but haven’t had time to watch it yet along with a few others.  I also only purchase them when I can get them on sale for $14.99 or $19.99.  But they are still worth paying the full price for.

It absolutely makes sense to wait for a sell…they happen often.  And, for Jessica Harris’s class you can get 50% by going there from her link on her blog. 
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 16 April 2013 02:13 PM

Wow!!  Thanks so much for posting this CRenee.  I never heard of Craftsy till now.  I took a look on the site and it looks awesome.  Will have to take a better look when I get home from work tonight.  Thank-you!!!

Be sure to try the free class (Modern Buttercream in Cake Decorating or Pizza in Food Craft) to get a good feel for how it works.

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Your welcome Flour Girl.  I, too, need all the help I can get.  Of course, I was unwilling (and unable) to pay lots of money for classes, many of which require travel.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Update: 

Craftsy is currently having an up to 75% sale on many of their cake decorating classes.  And, among the new cake decorating classes is English Over Piping and another on Australian Stringwork.  They have also expanded te offerings in the Food and Cooking section such as Sauces, Homemade Pasta and Mastering Braise.  Many of the Food and Cooking classes cost more than many of the cake deco classes…but right now - most are on sale.

Free classes include:  Pizza, Modern Buttercream, Basic Fondant, and The Hand Painted Cake.  Craftsy is fantastic as the instructor answers questions you post. 

I am so occupied I have not signed up for any crocheting or sewing classes yet.  I am considering taking advantage of this sale to gift a couple of these classes. 

You would think I am part owner or something ... no I am just a fan.  I have even used the money-back guarantee on two classes.  If you want to know which two PM me….my reasons may not apply for you. 

I will post something soon that shows the fruit of my time on Craftsy.  I am taking something from the various classes I take rather than doing the projects (Most classes are project based - so you end up with a finished cake). 

Have fun!! 

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12
Kathy1 - 16 April 2013 11:00 AM

Her cakes are beautiful isn’t it ? Can you imagine using butter cream for sculpted cakes like that purple purse cake ?  What a disaster that would be. Fondant gives it a very realistic look w/c cannot be achieved w/ butter cream no matter what. Well she is a pro that’s why. She is good at what she does.  I also adore Mike McCarey.  These pros are the best. They create cakes that people will rave. Never boring looking cakes.

Posted: 20 September 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 19 September 2013 10:52 PM

Her cakes are beautiful isn’t it ? Can you imagine using butter cream for sculpted cakes like that purple purse cake ?  What a disaster that would be. Fondant gives it a very realistic look w/c cannot be achieved w/ butter cream no matter what. Well she is a pro that’s why. She is good at what she does.  I also adore Mike McCarey.  These pros are the best. They create cakes that people will rave. Never boring looking cakes.

I see the buttercream, piping and stringwork classes demonstrating beautiful cakes.  Even with taking the fondant classes, I find the piped decorations look more delicious.  The purse is pretty but it does not make me want to eat it.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2013 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12
CRenee - 20 September 2013 11:02 AM
prettycake - 19 September 2013 10:52 PM

I see the buttercream, piping and stringwork classes demonstrating beautiful cakes.  Even with taking the fondant classes, I find the piped decorations look more delicious.  The purse is pretty but it does not make me want to eat it.

I know, not all ugly and dowdy cakes taste great either.

‹‹ ’Just right’ rules      My Grandmother ››