2 of 2
Sourdough
Posted: 19 April 2013 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 19 April 2013 01:12 AM

From ?The Science of Bakery Products?

So what did you think of the Modernist Cuisine books? I bought the home version, since I don’t really have the space for the full set, and I haven’t been that impressed. It’s basically a sous vide one-trick-pony. The graphics are gorgeous, but not every subject benefited from that. The explanation of the science was, I thought, not quite as good as Cooks Illustrated.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

I agree with you in general. I always admire people who are willing to rethink the conventional. My preference for unprocessed food makes it difficult for me to appreciate the ethic of reducing food to pure flavor. I also find myself questioning the sous vide process. It makes me uncomfortable that the food is sealed in direct contact with a plastic bag in high humidity and heat for hours on end. Have they done any measures of chemical transfer from those bags? I found the discussion of grilling and heat transfer informative. Yeah so in summary fun to read but not tremendously useful for the way I like to eat and cook.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 April 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 22 April 2013 06:40 PM

Have they done any measures of chemical transfer from those bags?

I don’t know. I’m sure they have at freezer and refrigerator temperatures, but I don’t know if these were ever intended to be cooked with.  Do you want to live forever?

Edit: Here’s a link from the Modernist Cuisine site. I don’t think it directly answers the question, though:

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/is-it-safe-cook-plastic/

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 April 2013 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Interesting. I am not so sanguine about the safety of those plastics as they. I found this study alarming.
http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/02/27/contaminated-diet-contributes-to-phthalate-and-bisphenol-a-exposure/
I had to read the actual paper to make sense of their results. What they found was that several ingredients in their organic replacement diet were heavily contaminated. The dairy and some of the ground spices were the culprits.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 April 2013 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 23 April 2013 01:05 AM

I found this study alarming.

I don’t how it affects our current question, though, since it states “food that was not prepared, cooked or stored in plastic containers.”

One of the commenters posted this link:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/12463202060/cooking-sous-vide-plastic-safety

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 April 2013 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 17 April 2013 08:12 PM

re:  FWSY,

I ended up buying the Kindle version and that’s nicely formatted. Did you try the 80% biga breads?  Sound intriguing. If I were to make any of his breads, I probably wouldn’t mix by hand (against my religion), and I don’t think I’d shape rounds….they seem a very inconvenient shape to me. The batards are more easily sliced into sandwiches.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 April 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Hee hee, no boules and no hand mixing, Ken Forkish’s method won’t be very Forkish-ish smile

I made a lot of his sourdough breads: hybrids, overnight brown, bacon, and the two advanced sourdoughs, the warm spot levain and the double-fed sweet levain.  Then I made all four pizza recipes, I love pizza and make it a lot!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

2 of 2