need to add cocoa butter for creme iviore?
Posted: 11 August 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-11

Hi everyone,
  This is my first post.  I am flying to Portland, ME next week from the Bay Area here in California to bake my niece’s wedding cake.  I will be using Rose’s recipe for a 3-tier chocolate butter cake and want to make a creme ivoire frosting.  My question is, in the recipe, it calls cocoa butter as well as white chocolate.  But if the white chocolate is of high quality which, I assume, means it contains lots of cocoa butter, does one still need to add cocoa butter as a separate ingredient?  Usually Rose indicates whether an ingredient needs to be prepared or purchased if it is an unusual ingredient.  Can cocoa butter be purchased.  I’m sure I overlooked something in Rose’s book.  But if anyone would be kind enough to clarify this for me, I’d deeply appreciate it.

Thanks, and oh, Rose, if you see this, I want you to know I depend a lot on your books and I am so grateful for your gifts of writing and baking.  You’re the greatest!

Dan

Posted: 11 August 2008 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Dan, yes, you can purchase cocoa butter, and though I haven’t made this, I assume the extra cocoa butter is an integral part of the texture for this recipe—to compare one without cocoa butter, simply turn to the next page.  The regular creme ivoire doesn’t contain extra cocoa butter, but it will be too soft to pipe.

Posted: 12 August 2008 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

You may have to look around a lot for the cocoa butter, though! Most stores do not carry it. And it’s by no means cheap! You can mail-order, though.

I don’t want you to get caught short looking for cocoa butter at the last minute!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 12 August 2008 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-11

Thank you both Barbra and Mathew,
    Mathew, you are right about the next page recipe of creme ivoire.  I did not noticed that it didn’t include cocoa butter.  What I did noticed was that the deluxe recipe has corn syrup where as the other has water.  So I will try and find the cocoa butter. 
    Barbra, I live in Marin County which is 20 minutes north of San Francisco.  I am assuming that if I can’t find cocoa butter out here, it doesn’t exist.  But your encouragement does alert me to get on it and find the elixir.  Thanks again to you both for your commnets and your quick reply. 

Dan

Posted: 12 August 2008 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve seen it several times on the King Arthur site:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=2807

You probably can do better on the price, but it is a start.

Posted: 12 August 2008 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Here’s a place in NJ
http://www.cocoasupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=40

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 August 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Dan, I have made this a few times and it is very important to use cocoa butter, in the proportions specified.  The reason is that the white chocolate tastes very, very sweet when made into a frosting (for some reason it tastes much sweeter than just eating a bar of white chocolate).  Diluting it with clarified butter, cocoa butter and oil not only gives the right consistency, it gives the proper sweetness level.  And don’t brown the clarified butter for this recipe, the browned flavor sort of sticks out and detracts from the goal, which is for it to taste just a like a white chocolate truffle. 

You can make the regular creme ivoire with just safflower oil, but the saturated fat in the cocoa butter allows the creme ivoire deluxe to be firm enough for piping and gives a little extra temperature resistance. 

Cocoa butter is mostly supplied to chocolate makers, regular groceries/health food stores don’t carry it.  You can buy it online, Rose recommends Albert Uster Imports, but there are other suppliers available as well. 

Best of luck with your cake, please report back with pics!
Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour