My Grandmother
Posted: 17 April 2013 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24

Finally, I have an avatar….no it is not one of my baked goods.  That photo is my grandmother.  I mentioned her in this thread re: what got me started scratch baking. 
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1938/P0/

I skimmed thorugh that thread again…grandmother was a very common theme.  I just think Grandmom was the best baker in the world.  She was a fabulous grandmother!!  I was fortunate enough to know my four grandparents.  Grandmothers are just the best.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 17 April 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

My grandmothers didn’t bake; one of them lived on frozen TV dinners. My mother, unfortunately, inherited her culinary skills, which warped my childhood. grin

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 17 April 2013 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

That is so sweet CRenee. That is the perfect avatar, a tribute to your grandmother.  My grandmother down east was an amazing cook/baker.  Doing it all on an old fashioned wood stove until about 1980 when she became ill.  I have very fond memories of her and her baked goods.

Posted: 18 April 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Ahhh, grandmothers!  Nice tribute to have her as your baking muse and Avatar smile

I had a grandmother who was not only a wonderful person, but an amazing baker of pies, named my daughter after her.  Everyone in my extended family thinks of her pies so fondly and wistfully, their faces sort of glaze over and get dreamy when the subject comes up.

@Charles, you are too funny!  Glad to see you are learning the craft yourself, even without ancestral inspiration. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 18 April 2013 02:39 AM

That is so sweet CRenee. That is the perfect avatar, a tribute to your grandmother.  My grandmother down east was an amazing cook/baker.  Doing it all on an old fashioned wood stove until about 1980 when she became ill.  I have very fond memories of her and her baked goods.

Fond memories.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

That is a very special way to honor your Grandma. It’s very touching.

Posted: 22 April 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

I’ve never met you CRenee, but I know you must be a beautiful woman because your grandmother is a beautiful woman!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Flour Girl.  Thank you Jeanne.

Signature