Chang’s Pop Tarts
Posted: 20 April 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I know this isn’t a RLB recipe, but I just had to share…these pop tarts (recipe from Joanne Chang) are just awesome.  The pastry is incredible and dare I say that it might even edge out Rose’s cream cheese pastry…not only that but it is an easy recipe that uses a mixer rather than a food processor!  I’ve used the pastry for both pie and the pop tarts and it’s going to be a new addition to my pastry arsenal.  I used some of my friend’s homemade grape jelly and Crofter’s Morello Cherry Spread as fillings.  Both were excellent!  My only complaint is that a fair amount of the filling bubbled out during baking so I may experiment with vents next time.

Image Attachments
1671_editshrink_.jpg1681_editshrink_.jpg

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Those look amazing! Love your fluted cutter.  A vent sounds like a great idea, you could also brush the edges with egg white before sealing (if they aren’t already sealed with something).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Wow! Those look great!

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

These are amazing!  I am totally making these for my pie-loving boss’s brithday.  The planned Dakota bread is officially OUT, and these pop tarts are IN!

Thanks for calling attention to this recipe and showing us your beautiful pastries!

Posted: 20 April 2013 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

You’ll definitely have fun with it Anne.  They are huge pastries, too.  I’ve considered making them smaller.

Julie, the crust is washed with egg before the top goes on and both times I’ve made these (in spite of my aggressive sealing tactics) I’ve had major blow outs—thank goodness I’ve baked on parchment paper.  I’m not excited about making vents and ruining the nice tops, but it may be necessary to save the filling.  Perhaps less filling would help.  As my husband says, “what could go wrong with butter and sugar?”

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Sherrie,

Did you have any if these the day after you made them? If do, how fir they hold up?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Sherrie, thank you for sharing..  looks and sound delicious. 

Julie, you are such a wealth of information.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 April 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Anne, The pop tart from the pic was previously frozen in an airtight container for about 1 month, left in container until room temp., reheated in 350 F oven until warm (not too hot or it will be runny inside) and then left on counter in airtight container for about 24 hours (there is still 1 left in container and it is now 48+ hours and they are still tasty!).  So, they hold up very, very well!!  One caution…I believe there is an error in the cookbook.  Perhaps subsequent printings have corrected it.  If you do make them check out the website for Joanne Chang’s “Flour” and there is errata listed there.  It had to do with the size the dough is rolled out to. 

You’re welcome, CRenee!

Posted: 21 April 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

No kidding!!!  That is fabulous news!  Thanks!  I’ll definitely check the errata, as well—much appreciated for the pointer.  BTW, I’ve read a few blogs on this recipe, and otheres have experienced the blow-outs, too, even after reducing filling.  I think poking the tops with fork holes or other venting would solve it—even “real” pop tarts have holes on top, if I recall correctly.  Also, other pop tart recipes I’ve seen call for them.

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Those look so yummy!!!  My kids would love those.  Although I think they would like some sort of chocolate filling instead of the fruit. 

I must check out her book.  I have heard very good reviews about it.

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Liza, I think there is a chocolate filling in the book—also an apple cinnamon variation, too—I’d love to try that—a much classier version of a McD’s apple pie!

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

yum!!! apple cinnamon.

Posted: 24 April 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

BTW, there is a new Chang book coming out soon: “Flour, Too”.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 April 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Oh dear, CharlesT, my bookshelf is ready to burst with cookbooks…but I don’t know if I could turn this one down….perhaps I may need to implement the conservation of mass rule for my bookshelf!!

Posted: 24 April 2013 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 24 April 2013 11:09 PM

Oh dear, CharlesT, my bookshelf is ready to burst with cookbooks…but I don’t know if I could turn this one down….perhaps I may need to implement the conservation of mass rule for my bookshelf!!

Or you could go the mass-less route: Kindle. I love getting physical books, but, like you, I have no space.  The floor of my attic is covered. :-(

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 April 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

Brown sugar and cinnamon pop tarts are my most favorite thing (except I never eat them due to how bad they are for you) I never realized you could make them! They look yummy!