RHC Carrot Cake
Posted: 21 April 2013 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I had fun making the carrot cake which was very well received. There were a few bumps along the way.
  First I didn’t realize how many carrots would be required. I bought a bunch of carrots at the store and assumed that would be enough. Even when I started to grate them I only peeled about 2/3 of the bunch. After grating all down to the skin on my fingers I came 60 grams short of the recipe. Sigh I was not going back to the store. It would have to do. For those who have not made this delightful cake buy a big bunch of carrots.
  Second the recipe calls for 9x2 pans. Which I don’t have. I thought about scaling the recipe or leaving some batter out. In the end I dumped it all in 8x2 and it worked with some minor doming.
  Third I didn’t pay attention to the amount of cream cheese needed in the frosting. My 8oz package was a third short of the recipe 12oz. I scaled back the other ingredients and made a smaller amount. I used powdered sugar instead of the white chocolate. I just don’t like white chocolate no matter which brand I have tried. I used my mixer instead of the recommended food processor. It felt right in the bowl so I stopped beating it because I was afraid to overdo. So the frosting was not quite enough and rather stiff. I had a time getting it on the cake.
Poor Rose I can hear her beating her forehead on her kitchen counter in frustration. ‘Why do I bother?’ I imagine her chanting.

Image Attachments
image.jpg
 Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 21 April 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

This is one of my most favourite cakes in RHC!  I have made it many times and it is always very well received.  Because there are only the two of us at home now, I often make it as a one-tier cake, halving the recipe, which works very well.  We do like the white chocolate frosting, but I have also made the one you did and that is good too.  I n fact all of the recipes I have made from this book have been very good, I am just about to make another one now, the Chocolate Fudge Cake, I will let you know how that turns out, never made it before. grin

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

It looks great, would love to help you eat the leftovers!  smile  Even though you don’t follow the recipes exactly, you always manage to come up with something delicious.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 April 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree!  It looks fabulous, and the frosting doesn’t look the least bit skimpy!  If powdered-sugar based frosting is too thick, can’t you just add a T. or so of milk to it?  I, too, was amazed at how many carrots it took.

@Jeanette—You’re in for a treat with the Chocolate Fudge Cake!  It’s in my top 2 fave Rose chocolate cakes (accompanied by the PAACBC/PAACBT).

Posted: 21 April 2013 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I was afraid to add liquid to the frosting and have it separate. So I could have added small amounts and whipped the frosting into something fluffier?
Believe it or not this was my attempt to follow a recipe closely. I even weighed the eggs which it turned out were 12 grams oversize.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 April 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Nigella Lawson makes a cream cheese frosting with cream cheese, powdered sugar and heavy cream, so I think it probably would have worked, as long as you went slowly and didn’t add too much liquid.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

This is a favorite cake at my house too.  It is so moist and full of flavor.  I am glad it turned out well even with all the little bumps along the way.  It looks great and I am glad everyone enjoyed it.

( my son would rather have the carrot cake for his birthday cake than a traditional butter cake )

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake looks delicious Gene. And the frosting   tongue wink   I’m so glad I am not alone with it right now. I, too, use the confectioner’s sugar variation. Love it!

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Gene,
That is one yummy looking cake!  I love the Carrot Cake from RHC.  Yours looks absolutely inviting—definitely thinking about making it again…soon! 

BTW, has anyone had much luck with this cake as cupcakes?  I recall trying once but they collapsed and were not as nice as the cake!  I didn’t adjust leavening at all.

Posted: 23 April 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Sherrie,  I made cupcakes with this recipe a couple years ago for a birthday party.  As far as I remember they turned out good and did not collapse.  I just divided the batter into the cupcake tins and adjusted the baking times accordingly.  I didn’t write down any notes so I am not really much help to you.  But I do know that they turned out fine.  I can’t remember if they had a dome or not.

I have recently started writing my notes down beside the recipes that I am using,  especially if I am adapting a cake recipe into cupcakes or other small cakelets.  That way I will remember what I did the last time, because my memory is not that great.

Posted: 23 April 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Gene, your cake looks fabulous.

This is my youngest daughter’s favourite so I’ve made it a few times. I know exactly what you mean about the carrots…I’ve run short a few times so the last time I made a note that I needed 620g (without tops) before peeling and trimming to yield 454g (plus a few extra strands).

Posted: 23 April 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Sherrie - 22 April 2013 05:12 PM

Gene,
BTW, has anyone had much luck with this cake as cupcakes?  I recall trying once but they collapsed and were not as nice as the cake!  I didn’t adjust leavening at all.

Sherrie, I had the same experience a few weeks ago when I made cupcakes. I didn’t adjust leavening either but did allow the batter to sit for 20 minutes before baking. They domed nicely in the oven, but flattened out and then dipped in the middle upon cooling.
Am I wrong in thinking that this is a pattern with Rose’s oil-based cakes baked as cupcakes? I think I’ve read that this happens with the chiffon and chocolate oblivion cakes as well.