All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake & Mirror Glaze Ganache
Posted: 23 April 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

First, I apologize for a cake that did not come out looking like I planned it to, which is slightly more elegant and less gloppy than the picutres….however, as it is a Rose cake, it was very tasty!  I chose the Downy Yellow because I wanted to have whites left over for macarons (!!!).  I hadn’t made a cake in about 6 months—I’d almost forgotten how fun it is!

This is the All American Downy Yellow Butter Cake—I only had skim milk, so I added an extra T. of butter.  I used .8x of TCB recipe and baked it in two 8 x 1-1/2” pans.

Chocolate topping is Rose’s mirror glaze, refrigerated to make it start to set and get thick.  I thought I wanted it this thick—if felt right off the knife—but it turned out thicker than desired/expected.  It sure tastes good, though!

Fruit topping is strawberry jam (I had extra, or I would have made something from scratch) mixed with the juice and zest of a lemon and 1/2 t. ginger.  The jam was quite “hot” from the ginger—I was a little worried about it—but it mellowed well in the frosting, and the “center part” tasted very good directly with the cake—no heat.

Frosting is, as usual, a little something of my own—flavor is, generally, a light strawbrerry ginger, and it is very fluffy.  Cream cheese, butter, coconut milk, a little pineapple, and the jam.

It came together with surprising unity of flavor—the cake came through well, even with the other flavors, and the flavors in their many components/arrangements worked well with the cake.

Posted: 23 April 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

Anne,

I love the look of that shiny chocolate glaze dripping down the sides of the cake with the pool of strawberry on the top. If you hadn’t mentioned that you were aiming for a different appearance, I would have thought it was intentional.

The flavour sounds delicious - like neopolitan ice cream (vanilla-chocolate-strawberry) with a tropical twist!

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Wow, Anne, the crumb of your cake looks perfect!  I bet it was absolutely delicious!  I think it turned out well.  As an aside, I’ve played around with the lacquer glaze and it is a bit of an enigma!  Temperature is really key to using it!  I sometimes add it as a topping for ice cream smile

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks delicious to me! smile  I think it’s funny that you chose the downy yellow just to fuel your macaron habit, lol.  Next thing you’ll be posting is the golden genoise.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s beautiful and looks really delicious! The crumb is excellent and the frosting combination is just gorgeous. I always love the filling in your cakes. It is never skimpy. It is the thickness I love.

Posted: 24 April 2013 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, your cake looks wonderful.  I like how the mirror glaze cascades down the sides of the cake.  The yellow downy cake is my absolute favorite cake in the Cake Bible.  Yours looks picture perfect, beautiful tight crumb, nice and fluffy. 

And wow, what flavor combinations!  I enjoy reading your posts, you give me inspiration to try different combinations of flavors.  You are very inventive.  I have to admit, I am a bit of a culinary coward for trying unusual flavors.  I would never have thought that ginger would taste good in a cake.

Posted: 24 April 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone!

I forgot to mention that I tried something new.  I learned it from someone here, but, sadly, I forget who.  Rather than using cake strips, I prepared my pans (and other ingredients) the night before and just left them in the refrigerator until I needed to fill them.  The cold pans sort of work like cake strips.  My cakes weren’t perfectly level, but after they were cool, I stored them on their tops, and they flattened out pretty good.

@Liza - You are too kind!  Ginger works well with lots of fruit (lemon, peach, strawberry) flavors—and chocolate.  It’s one of my faves! 

@FG - Thanks!  I think it’s thick because I don’t know how much is actually there!!!!!

@Julie - I have genuine fear of genoise (and no stand mixer), so, although I would love to have such a treasure trove of egg whites, I think it will have to be via a different route ...  : )

@Sherrie - Thanks for the crumb compliments!  This is the first time I used bleached AP rather than cake flour.  I’m trying to use up all my different flours.  I’ve found I get better crumb and height if I use a sort of “U” shaped mixing bowl (straighter sdies)—the smallest I can get away with—rather than a mixing bowl with sloped sides.  The small size and straight sides keep more batter in contact with the beaters so each “piece” gets mixed, more or less, for the entire duration. 

@Sophia - Thank you!  The frosting did have that kind of “soft serve” foofiness—I like the neopolitan idea!  I’ll have to keep that one on tap!