1 of 2
Red Velvet Food Coloring
Posted: 24 April 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve been trying to find an excuse to make this cake.  The sheer amount of food coloring frightens me, I can’t find the time to deal with the beets .... but the recipe has been calling my name.  My hubby’s co-op is done her term and one of his coworkers is having a birthday and one of his favourite cakes is the Red Velvet…perfect opportunity!  I’ve taken a look at the recipe and I’m a bit uncertain as to what food coloring to use since it is not specified in the recipe.  I have a bottle of Wilton Red-Red on hand an it is one ounce in size, so I assume (b/c Rose states a bottle and this bottle measures an ounce) that gel type coloring is correct.  I’ve done a search of the forum but I don’t see any definitive answers about what to use.  Any suggestions?

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 24 April 2013 11:15 PM

I have a bottle of Wilton Red-Red on hand an it is one ounce in size, so I assume (b/c Rose states a bottle and this bottle measures an ounce) that gel type coloring is correct.  I’ve done a search of the forum but I don’t see any definitive answers about what to use.  Any suggestions?

I think the recipe assumes you’re using one of the small bottles of water-based food coloring you find at the supermarket. I’m not sure where I got that idea, but that’s what I used and it worked fine. A full bottle of the gel might be a bit too much.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Ditto on Charles feedback.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 April 2013 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

I always use the McCormick brand. Don’t be scared, it is not toxic that is why it is called “food coloring”. You are talking about the gel, the liquid one is more ideal for this. The gel is great for coloring fondant or gum paste using a tooth pick.

Charles thank u for the very useful comment. At least you come here to give expert advice, really good use of the comment “screen”. gringrin

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-26

Has anyone ever tried the new (at least to me) bakery emulsions?  There is a Red Velvet flavor available.

Posted: 26 April 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
JCme - 26 April 2013 02:46 PM

Has anyone ever tried the new (at least to me) bakery emulsions?  There is a Red Velvet flavor available.

New to me also.  I have purchased the Orange bakery emulsion but have not used it yet.  Did not know there was a Red Velvet flavor available.  interesting…

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 April 2013 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
JCme - 26 April 2013 02:46 PM

Does this include the red color ? That was the original question, color not flavor.

Posted: 27 April 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 24 April 2013 11:15 PM

I’ve been trying to find an excuse to make this cake.  The sheer amount of food coloring frightens me, I can’t find the time to deal with the beets .... but the recipe has been calling my name.  My hubby’s co-op is done her term and one of his coworkers is having a birthday and one of his favourite cakes is the Red Velvet…perfect opportunity!  I’ve taken a look at the recipe and I’m a bit uncertain as to what food coloring to use since it is not specified in the recipe.  I have a bottle of Wilton Red-Red on hand an it is one ounce in size, so I assume (b/c Rose states a bottle and this bottle measures an ounce) that gel type coloring is correct.  I’ve done a search of the forum but I don’t see any definitive answers about what to use.  Any suggestions?

I don’t like the idea of food coloring either although I had to use it to bake this cake.

I found red beet powder but haven’t tried it yet.

One of the reviewers wrote she tried a small amount of the Wilton red food dye and mixed it with this powder and her results were “great”.

Again, I have no experience with it but was just looking for an option

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Beet-Powder-2-oz/dp/B0001BGTSA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367078751&sr=8-5&keywords=organic+food+coloring

Posted: 27 April 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

My question is, what is wrong with liquid red food coloring ? It is made for food. Using a whole bottle or a drop does not make a big difference besides the amount. If it is considered toxic then it is poison regardless the amount. It does not have a warning label saying if too much is used it will kill you. I’m confused. Maybe Rose can give her EXPERT opinion.

Posted: 27 April 2013 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
prettycake - 27 April 2013 06:13 PM

If it is considered toxic then it is poison regardless the amount.

Actually, the physician Paracelsus in the 15th century was noted for the observation “It’s the dose that makes the poison.” The full quote is something like “All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous.” I also read a similar quote by a toxicologist: “There is no such thing as toxic substances, only toxic quantities.”

This is still the prevailing wisdom; in sufficient quantities, everything is toxic, including water (Google “water poisoning”). In small enough quantities, nothing will hurt you. Our water quality is determined by how concentrated the pollutants are,  not whether they exist or not. They always exist. For instance, the EPA has set a limit of water contamination by dioxin, a very toxic substance, to 0.00000003 mg/L.

I suspect the common fear of food coloring has its roots in the banning in 1976 of FD&C Red No. 2, also known as amaranth. The dye had been linked to cancer in a Russian study. This was the reason that M&M’s stopped making the red ones, even though they used a different dye.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Then people who make red velvet cake using a bottle of red food coloring should all die soon. I get the point.grin
Wait a minute, I’m still alive.

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

Some of my clients tell me they are sensitive to food dyes; and that reds in particular bring on a strong “reaction”.  Apparently there is red coloring used in chocolate cake mix (I didn’t know this) so they want to know if I bake from scratch (yes) or use mixes.  While the amount of dye in a slice of cake is infinitesimal, it’s the cumulative effect of ingesting food dyes in multiple things that brings on concern.

Gel colors are thicker than the supermarket variety of food coloring, and they don’t mix uniformly if you try to thin them out with water (it colors the water but there are globules of color in the water too).  You want a fluid ounce of color, as Charles says.  I know that there’s a variety of natural food colors in the local Whole Foods Market but I don’t know what colors they make or if they are gel or fluid.  It might be worth finding if you want to try the recipe.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 28 April 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Jeanne - 28 April 2013 01:47 AM

variety of natural food colors in the local Whole Foods Market

Also to keep in mind is that just because something is “natural” doesn’t mean that’s it’s safer than something artificial. The botulism toxin is the deadliest known to man and it’s all natural.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 28 April 2013 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

What I’ve learned from my clients who have a concern about food coloring is that the ones sold in Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s don’t have artificial components (because apparently those stores have banned artificial dyes?); whatever brand it is uses plant based materials as coloring agents which means Sherrie can use those colors.  So someone else has done the work with the beets for her, and she can make the cake wink

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Whatever works for you. I am just one of those bakers who would use what is available w/out worrying about it unless it is for health reasons. Knowing how paranoid FDA is, I would expect that they would keep policing these things knowing all the frivolous law suites some people file for such petty reasons. I hope you find what you want. Good luck.

Posted: 18 May 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02
CharlesT - 28 April 2013 08:05 AM
Jeanne - 28 April 2013 01:47 AM

variety of natural food colors in the local Whole Foods Market

Also to keep in mind is that just because something is “natural” doesn’t mean that’s it’s safer than something artificial. The botulism toxin is the deadliest known to man and it’s all natural.

Excuse my saying that the natural food coloring companies are probably not going to put natural toxins in there.  If it’s actually made of natural ingredients (since the word “natural” means virtually nothing unless you’re buying meat - check the label) then it really should be much more nutritious than the common red food coloring.  For example, it could be made out of beet peelings rather than chemicals.

1 of 2