Monster truck tire cake
Posted: 26 April 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I am going to be making this for my sons birthday coming up. I was thinking of getting a large size round pan and making three layers so its big. My question is, how do I find a recipe to fit a large round pan? I really loved loved loved the mnirette tomboy cake but that was baked in a small round pan. Any ideas?

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

I think doubling or tripling the recipe might help.

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

How big is big?  A recipe similar to the Miette, but with more flavor, is the deep chocolate passion from RHC.  It has a recipe that’s been tested/approved for a 12” round.

If you need to go larger than that, you may have to switch to the choco butter cake from the wedding cake section of the Cake Bible.

Good luck, hope you’ll post pictures!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m not sure 12 inc will do it, it is a monster truck tire after all lol. I don’t want to do the butter cakes, I am not a huge fan argh!

Posted: 27 April 2013 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

It seems possible that several layers of a 12” will look more “monster” then fewer of a larger cake (without ending up with too much cake).  I think the thickness vs. Diameter is whet will give it the chunky tire look.

Good luck, however you procede!

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

If you think you need to go larger than 12” you could always try a heating core—Wilton makes them.  I think it would be preferable to a flour nail if you decide to try it with the Deep Chocolate Passion as suggested by Julie (I love that cake, btw) because it’s a larger diameter—about 2-3”.  I agree with Anne…the monster tire would probably come from the thickness.  You’ll also want to check what is the largest pan you can get in your oven.  The max I can do in mine is 14”—though I have seen 18” round pans than are basically semicircles.  I’m excited to see your end product—my son would LOVE a monster truck tire cake…I may have to steal that one from you in the future!!

Posted: 28 April 2013 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m going to copy it from a picture I saw on the Internet….that’s the only way I can do it lol. You are right, I’ve decided to go with the 12 inch. Question…does that cake freeze well? Also how thick is the finished layer? Trying to figure out if two will work or if I need three.

Posted: 28 April 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The deep choc passion freezes well ... you can also use the chocolate syrup for added moistness and a slightly fudgy texture.  The cake bakes up perfectly level, so there is no need to trim and in my experience you can get 1.5”—maybe slightly higher.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Great. Without the syrup (an extra step I don’t want to take) how moist is the cake after being frozen? I really don’t want it to taste like the choc butter cake, I like really moist cakes

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

It is also good to do a test run.  Maybe that will answer all of your questions, doubts or uncertainties.  Your son and his invited friends might like the cake that you don’t like.  Hope you will find what you are looking for.

Posted: 29 April 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Well due to a family with a lot of divorces looks like his bday party is going to be a lot smaller. Almost non existent lol.  Just us four no family or friends. After all he’s only two so he won’t care and he doesn’t have any friends lol. So now I don’t need to make a HuGe monster truck tire for us, so I might end up making the miette anyways!  It will be a smaller tire, but still a tire lol.

Posted: 29 April 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
SweetNess14445 - 29 April 2013 04:27 PM

Great. Without the syrup (an extra step I don’t want to take) how moist is the cake after being frozen? I really don’t want it to taste like the choc butter cake, I like really moist cakes

It’s soft…I wouldn’t say wet/ultra moist.  I appreciate butter cakes, but sometimes find the texture a bit on the dry side, so I know where you are coming from.  I’ve made the Deep Chocolate Passion SO many times…it’s really wonderful.  But…it’s not moist like a gooey brownie…it’s fluffy like a chiffon and possibly a smidge drier.  If you are concerned about moistness, the syrup would definitely help.  I find it a lovely cake…frozen/fresh, it doesn’t really matter—make sure it’s not overbaked—with chocolate cakes I find it’s a fine line—a cake will often go from runny to set within a couple of minutes.

Edit:  I didn’t get to the last post…so I guess you don’t need this now.

Posted: 29 April 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Lol well it’s good to know I’m going to get a copy of the rhc tonight so I am definitely going to check that recipe out too!

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

The deep chocolate passion cake is wonderful!!!!  I have never syruped it before and it is always nice and moist.  I love the texture of it.  Happy birthday to your little man, I am sure he will enjoy any cake that you bake him.  grin

Looking forward to see it.