Cup Cup Sizes, Baking Times and Storage
Posted: 28 April 2013 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-04-28

I intend on baking Rose’s Yellow Butter Cup Cakes and the recipe makes 16 cupcakes. I am not clear what size they are though? I would like to make mini cup cakes. My mini cup cake tin holds 24 - each cake hole holding 40ml (2 Table Spoons) of water ( I just used that as a guide to come up with a measurement that was meaningful). My 12 cup cake tin holds 80ml (4 TBS) of water in each cake hole? My question is related to baking times. How long would I need to cook the mini cup cakes as opposed to the larger ones? Rose’s baking time is 20 to 25 minutes?

Also, I will need to bake them the night before as I need them for a morning tea the next day. I intend on frosting them with Rose’s Golden Neoclassic Buttercream. Is it better to frost on the morning I am to serve them or will they be just as good if I frost and decorate with a little confectionary flower the night before. How should I store them - frosted and/or unfrosted? In an air tight container at room temperature or in the fridge over night? Thank you!

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi George and welcome to the forum!

George - 28 April 2013 05:24 AM

I intend on baking Rose’s Yellow Butter Cup Cakes and the recipe makes 16 cupcakes. I am not clear what size they are though? I would like to make mini cup cakes. My mini cup cake tin holds 24 - each cake hole holding 40ml (2 Table Spoons) of water ( I just used that as a guide to come up with a measurement that was meaningful). My 12 cup cake tin holds 80ml (4 TBS) of water in each cake hole? My question is related to baking times. How long would I need to cook the mini cup cakes as opposed to the larger ones? Rose’s baking time is 20 to 25 minutes?

I’ve made these cupcakes only once in a standard sized muffin/cupcake tin and though I portioned the batter by weight, if my memory serves, the batter came half-way up the sides of the pan (~60ml/ 4 tbsp of batter by volume per cupcake….I’m not sure I understand where your volume measurements are from) and they baked level with the top of the tin. In my experience with other recipes, the yield of the mini cupcakes is twice that of the regular size, which would be 32 for this recipe. Generally, baking time is 1/2 that of the regular size but I would start checking a minute or 2 before that, after 8 minutes.

George - 28 April 2013 05:24 AM

Also, I will need to bake them the night before as I need them for a morning tea the next day. I intend on frosting them with Rose’s Golden Neoclassic Buttercream. Is it better to frost on the morning I am to serve them or will they be just as good if I frost and decorate with a little confectionary flower the night before. How should I store them - frosted and/or unfrosted? In an air tight container at room temperature or in the fridge over night? Thank you!

You could go either way but because of the tendency for cupcakes to dry out quickly, I would recommend frosting them the night before, as it seems to help keep them moist. If frosted, they must be refrigerated overnight as the the neoclassic is safe at room temp for only 6 hours but they will look just as good in the morning as when you made them. But make sure to bring them back to room temperature before serving.

Are you planning to use cupcake liners? I find that these also help to reduce dryness and when applying the buttercream, frosting to meet the paper liner creates somewhat of a seal. If you decide not to frost them in advance, there’s no need to refrigerate the cupcakes. In both cases, they should be stored in the airtight container you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-04-28

Thank you Sophie for such a thoughtful, specific and helpful reply. I think I will go with your suggestion of half the baking time for my mini cupcakes - as I am pretty confident they are half the size of a standard muffin/cupcake tin. I have taken great comfort in your advice in relation to the frosting and storage and will cross my fingers and get on with it!! Thank you again.

Posted: 30 April 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I would second Sophie’s suggestion on frosting them the night before if you have time. Also to keep in mind that it would be much less stressful to frost earlier - especially if you’re going to try to tackle the swirls that you asked about in the other post. I have done this where I try to do too many things on the day I’m serving the cake/cupcakes that I ended up driving myself crazy grin. The more you can do in advance the better.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/