1 of 2
Golden Dream Anniversary Cake
Posted: 28 April 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

This is the cake I made for my mother and father inlaw for their 50th wedding anniversary.  It is the lemon almond cake from the wedding section of RHC, filled with lemon pastry cream and covered in white chocolate mousseline.  ( I originally made the white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream but found the color too yellow - maybe because i used fresh eggs from my neighbour - so I ended up freezing it and I will use it for something else.

The cake was super moist, and lemony.  Everyone loved it.  I liked it, but I am more of a vanilla/chocolate girl.  My mother in law mentioned to me later in the evening that when she got married they never did have a wedding cake when they got married 50 years ago.  I am so glad I decided to make a smaller sized version of a wedding cake than a sheet cake.  She finally got her wedding cake ( even if it was 50 years later )

I made all of the flowers and leaves out of gumpaste, as well as the brooches on the ribbon.  The peonies took a long time to make and I was glad they got their in one piece.

Image Attachments
cake 5.jpgcake 2.jpg

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

The cake is beautiful, Liza!  I made this cake for my 50th Wedding Anniversary, three years ago, but mine was not a patch on yours, you should be very proud of yourself.  My cake is on here somewhere, but I am not going to give the link, partly because I am not very clever at giving links, but mostly because by comparison mine looks very amateurish.  The flowers on the top of yours are exquisite, you say they took a long time to do, they must have taken a lot of expertise as well.  Congratulations on a very good effort!

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Wow the cake looks stunning, and the flowers impeccable!
Such a nice thing for you to do for your in-laws. and the story it really endearing.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Jeanette and McBrownie.  I felt very privileged to make their cake.  They are like my adpoted mother and father.
It almost brought me to tears when my mother in law told me that story.  Even her wedding gown was borrowed, so it makes me feel good that she finally got her wedding cake. smile

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Liza, the cake is truly beautiful. Even if your in-laws had had a cake at their wedding, I don’t think it would have been as gorgeous as this one that you’ve made for them.

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

Your cake is beautiful and very elegant. You flowers are perfect too.

Posted: 28 April 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Liza, what a great gift to your in-laws—they must have been thrilled.  You have a wonderful talent—those flowers are stunning and your cake looks fabulous.  Can’t wait to see what you do with that buttercream in the freezer smile

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Liza your cake is beautiful and elegant. That is so special to do for your in-laws. Especially since this is their one and only wedding cake. The flowers look real! you did a fabulous job!

What size are the tiers?

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you everyone for your kind words smile

Flour girl,  the tiers are six inch and nine inch.

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Gorgeous, Liza!  Love the story, the elegance and those flowers, it must have been a labor of love.  Bet it was delicious, too.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 29 April 2013 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Your cake is beautiful!  The flowers are amazing!  The story is wonderful!  Congratulations on all counts and for making not only such a wonderful cake, but for making some new wonderful memories as well!

Posted: 29 April 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you Julie and Anne.  They were very surprised when they saw the cake.  They did not believe me at first that the flowers were made of sugar, until I broke a small petal off and let them taste it.

And yes it was delicious!!!  super super moist, but not to the point of being soggy.  I might just have to syrup more of my butter cakes because I love that moist consistency.  I will have to try the chocolate syrup for the deep passion chocolate cake, which I want to make for my birthday next month.

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Smiles, smiles, all smiles here.  I am glad that Everyone loved the cake.  I love it.  Thank you for the note re: the frosting.  Yes, the vanilla bean one is more yellow. 

Your cake is beautiful…your flowers and arrangements outstanding…. and the brooch as well.  So fantastic you took all of this time for them. 

Did you use a mold for the jewelry?  Do you make your own gumpaste?  Did you syrup the cake in amounts as on RHC?  How did you prepare the almonds?  Coffee grinder, food processor?  I used almond flour once and the cake seemed drier than when I ground my nuts in the food processor with sugar.

Again, EXCELLENT WORK!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 April 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks CRenee!!!! 

Yes I did use a silicone mold for the brooches.  I molded my gumpaste and let it dry, then colored it with gold highlighter and super pearl dust. 

I toasted the almonds and then processed them in my food processor. ( I don’t have a coffee grinder, but it is one of the many things I have on my growing list that I want )

I used the exact amount of syrup in the amounts as on RHC.  The cake was super super moist.  I think that it could use a little less syrup.  I bet that the cake would taste just as good without the syrup.  But over all,  it had wonderful flavor and texture.  I will definitely make this one again.  It is now my husbands favorite cake.  He loves lemon.

I make my own gumpaste.  I use Scott Clark Woolley’s Recipe.  You can find it on his website, Cakes by Design.  It is awesome to work with.  It is a little involved to make but so worth the effort.  It is soft and very pliable and you can roll it out super thin to get realistic petals and leaves.  Also, the recipe makes quite a bit, so you will have lots.  I usually make one batch and tint it pale green for all my foilage and then make another batch and leave it white for flowers or other decorations.  It freezes beautifully.  Just make sure it is double wrapped in plastic wrap and then put in a ziploc bag, so it doesn’t start to dry out.  You should try this recipe if you are interested in using gumpaste,  it really is wonderful.

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 30 April 2013 11:31 PM

Thanks CRenee!!!! 

Yes I did use a silicone mold for the brooches.  I molded my gumpaste and let it dry, then colored it with gold highlighter and super pearl dust. 

I toasted the almonds and then processed them in my food processor. ( I don’t have a coffee grinder, but it is one of the many things I have on my growing list that I want )

I used the exact amount of syrup in the amounts as on RHC.  The cake was super super moist.  I think that it could use a little less syrup.  I bet that the cake would taste just as good without the syrup.  But over all,  it had wonderful flavor and texture.  I will definitely make this one again.  It is now my husbands favorite cake.  He loves lemon.

I make my own gumpaste.  I use Scott Clark Woolley’s Recipe.  You can find it on his website, Cakes by Design.  It is awesome to work with.  It is a little involved to make but so worth the effort.  It is soft and very pliable and you can roll it out super thin to get realistic petals and leaves.  Also, the recipe makes quite a bit, so you will have lots.  I usually make one batch and tint it pale green for all my foilage and then make another batch and leave it white for flowers or other decorations.  It freezes beautifully.  Just make sure it is double wrapped in plastic wrap and then put in a ziploc bag, so it doesn’t start to dry out.  You should try this recipe if you are interested in using gumpaste,  it really is wonderful.

Liza, Thank you so much for the detail and answering all lof my questions.  I will try Scot Woolley recipe.  I used Nicholas Lodge recipe when I made gumpaste recently.  Also, good to know you make a batch for leaves.  So I imagine you are using gel color to color your white for the flowers.  Nicholas Lodge suggests coloring your gumpaste (when in mixer) if you are doing dark colors.  I have not made any dark colors yet.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

CRenee you are very welcome.  yes, I use the americolor gel colors to color my gumpaste, but the wilton colors will also work fine.  I haven’t tried the recipe from Nicholas Lodge yet.  how do you like it?

I didn’t color my burgundy gumpaste in the mixer because I didn’t need a whole batch of burgundy gumpaste.  It took a while to get it really dark.  Even then they dried lighter than what I wanted but I just dusted them with burgandy petal dust and steamed them and they came out darker.

I think I might also to a whole batch in light pink because there are so many flowers that are pink, especially cherry blossoms.  They are so pretty.

1 of 2