Thoughts on Boiled Frosting (7 minute)
Posted: 29 April 2013 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

I experimented with this for the first time, Italian meringue version. It potentially offers these benefits:

1) Completely white.
2) Milder taste than buttercream so as not to compete with the cake.
3) Lower calorie, since there is no fat.
4) You can torch the exterior to get a really cool look.

It fulfilled all these requirements, but I ran into these issues:

1) No way to do a crumb coat
2) Limited working time to get the frosting applied, after which it becomes uncooperative.

If I were to use it again, I might consider a buttercream crumb coat (maybe with a complementary flavor) to be topped with the boiled frosting, giving me the best of both worlds.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

About the crumb coat…
Because it’s so thick and voluminous,  I actually found crumb coat to be unnecessary. Do you want a smooth coating or a fluffy, swirly one?
You could use a piping bag and pipe all around the cake [much easire with turntable], then smooth it with a spatula [again, much easier with a turntable]!

Another advantage to 7-minute-frosting is the fact that you can eat it from the fridge/freezer!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
McBrownie - 29 April 2013 03:31 AM

About the crumb coat… Because it’s so thick and voluminous,  I actually found crumb coat to be unnecessary.

Well, I made it work without the crumb coat, but it was a narrow thing. I had hoped the frosting was soft enough not to pick up crumbs, but it did. I kept scraping the spatula, but had to add more frosting on sections where there were some crumbs. And it was a chocolate cake. Fortunately, torching the exterior covers a multitude of sins. It ended up looking stunning, IMO, but I feel like I cheated.

Do you want a smooth coating or a fluffy, swirly one?

Whatever I could get. grin But I expected that it would have to be swirly, due to the small open time and my overall lack of skill.

You could use a piping bag and pipe all around the cake [much easire with turntable], then smooth it with a spatula [again, much easier with a turntable]!

I thought about that and I have one of the huge frosting tips intended for this purpose, but I was aware of the issue of the frosting getting too cool and I thought that loading it into the bag might be risky. Have you tried this?

Another advantage to 7-minute-frosting is the fact that you can eat it from the fridge/freezer!

Hmmm, everyone says not to freeze it; even refrigerated, it’s reputed not to keep well. Have you frozen it?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 April 2013 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

I suggest you look at Martha Stewart frosting her cakes with 7-minute frosting, it’s her favorite and there are lots of videos on her site- they really helped me! Try looking at the lady baltimore cake with Amy sedaris [I think]. She puts ALOT at the top of the cake, and then frosts the cake side/downwards.

To tell you the truth I haven’t found the frosting that high-maintenance, that leaving it for a few minutes would make it impossible to work with ,especially if it stays in the piping bag which would protect it from drying out. Also, if you use cream of tartar, then keeping the mixer at low speed while you get the piping bag/answer the phone/search for the appropriate tip. keeps the icing soft and malleable! I piped my frosting on my 24th birthday cake and it was fine. I saw that idea also on martha stewart [I think it was a devil’s food cake with black pepper boiled icing].

The recipes I use most often are said icing from the lady baltimore cake, and the one from the hi-hat-cupcakes.
In my experience, you should only avoid chilling the frosting in the fridge/freezer if you haven’t frosted the cake yet, as the outside dries a bit [not too much, just enough so that it won’t stick to anything that it touches]. Also, another problem with sugary stuff in the fridge is that they absorb odors, so you should cover the cake with a dome, or strategically-spaced clingfilm/saran wrap.

Edit: Corrected some typos

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
McBrownie - 29 April 2013 05:54 AM

I suggest you look at Martha Stewart frosting her cakes with 7-minute frosting, it?s her favorite

I will, thank you. I didn’t know it was her favorite. My people liked it, but not as well as buttercream.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay Charles, can you provide to a recipe so I know for sure which frosting you mean boiled (italian meringue version).  Thank you

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 April 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 30 April 2013 10:27 PM

Okay Charles, can you provide to a recipe so I know for sure which frosting you mean boiled (italian meringue version).  Thank you

The recipe is from Flo Braker’s “Baking for All Occasions”. It works pretty much like Rose’s Mousseline Buttercream….hot sugar syrup poured into whipped egg whites. I know that there are other types of boiled frosting; it would be interesting to know if they behave differently.

I have to tell on you CRenee: I get emails when there’s activity on a thread that I’m in, but it doesn’t tell me who made the comment. I have learned to recognize a few people’s writing styles, though: I can usually recognize Julie, Flour Girl, and Anne In NC. When this one came in, I thought: “I bet that’s CRenee!”

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 30 April 2013 11:29 PM

The recipe is from Flo Braker’s “Baking for All Occasions”. It works pretty much like Rose’s Mousseline Buttercream….hot sugar syrup poured into whipped egg whites. I know that there are other types of boiled frosting; it would be interesting to know if they behave differently.

I have to tell on you CRenee: I get emails when there’s activity on a thread that I’m in, but it doesn’t tell me who made the comment. I have learned to recognize a few people’s writing styles, though: I can usually recognize Julie, Flour Girl, and Anne In NC. When this one came in, I thought: “I bet that’s CRenee!”

Thank you Charles.  I will take more notes when I make the cooked frosting.  And, I will give this frosting a try for sure. 

That is funny about recognizing my style.  I started to remove the “Okay” part although I am sure there were other clues.  I think I write just as I am having a converation and I am I am pretty fast typist. —Hmmm - Now I am going to try to guess who replied.  ha ha

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

I love this icing.  It is very easy.  It is very fluffy and airy.  The only thing though,  it has to be used right away.  But I like it,  kind of like marshmallow fluff..

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 30 April 2013 11:29 PM

So what gave me away the Okay, or the missing word from my statement?  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 02 May 2013 12:40 AM

So what gave me away the Okay, or the missing word from my statement?  LOL

I have no doubt it was the “Okay”; as an introductory word, I have a vision of you confronting a misbehaving child:  “Ok, I’ve had enough of your nonsense…tell me the truth!”  I hope you won’t feel self-conscious now! It’s a good thing to have a writing style and everyone should try to develop one. And I got prettycake right, too, but didn’t have a clue on McBrownie.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach