R2D2 Cake
Posted: 29 April 2013 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I made this cak e in January for a friend’s grandson.  It is Rose’s all occasion downey yellow butter cake filled with vanilla whipped cream ( stabilzed with gelatin ) and iced with white chocolate mousseline buttercream.  Last year I made him a yoda cake, which was extactly the same flavor combinations (  loved it so much that they wanted this one to be exactly the same )  The little guy has quite the obsession with star wars. 

This one completely stressed me out!!!!  I don’t think I want to do anymore character cakes.  LOL

I am only posting it now because I only now figured out how to send pictures from my iphone to my computer.  I am a slow learner.  smile

The R2D2 is made from rice krispies and covered with fondant, which caused me nothing but heartache.  I really hate working with fondant!!!!  I’d much rather use buttercream.  I don`t mind fondant accents but dread covering anything with it.  smirk  Besides buttercream is so much tastier than fondant.

Image Attachments
R2D2.jpg

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

That is insanely adorable!  You did a FABULOUS job, Liza.  I am very impressed…I remember your Yoda smile  What a great follow up—the little guy must have been ecstatic. So what is on the agenda for next year?  Darth?  C3P0?

Even though your fondant work is amazing, I have to agree with you about working with it.  I much prefer making cakes with soft frostings—much better to eat, too!

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Sherrie,  You are too kind.  I didn’t put a close up picture for a reason.  If you looked really close you could see it was far from perfect.  The fondant kept tearing on me everytime I went to cover R2D2.  Maybe it was the brand that I used, but I was so grief stricken I almost gave up. 

I already told my friend that I won’t be making anymore character cakes.  I will do like a star wars themed cake but no actual characters from the movies. cheese

Posted: 30 April 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

The cake is amazing Liza. R2D2 looks great and the polka dot cake is so cute!

You mentioned tearing of the fondant….may I ask which brand you used? I’ve covered a few cakes with fondant now but have always made the marshmallow-type and much as I dislike working with it, I like making it even less and was considering buying some the next time.

Posted: 30 April 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Sophia.  I used chocopan.  It was awful to work with.  It was so soft and kept tearing when I covered R2D2.  I have heard that satin ice is quite good.  I might try that next time I need to cover something.  I also got a recipe on line for homemade fondant.  It is not marshmallow though.  I got it off of the cake central website.  It is called michelle fosters fondant.  It got great reviews, so I might try a batch and cover a small dummy cake with it.  ( not when I need to cover a real cake )

I would prefer not to cover an entire cake with it because it really does not compare to buttercream.

How do you like the taste of marshmallow fondant.

Is your homemade fondant easy to work with

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I’ve never heard of chocopan brand. I had planned to try Satin Ice so I’m glad to hear it’s not the one that gave you so many problems.

I use Macs Mom’s (buttercream flavoured) marshmallow fondant, also from cake central. I don’t add the butter flavouring or salt but use just vanilla instead. It tastes like supersweet marshmallow.  I don’t like it but it’s less disgusting than Wilton brand and I’ve seen people eat and enjoy it…to each his own, I guess. Blasphemous as this is to some, especially my husband, I actually prefer my cakes naked wink

I’ve only made it a few times now so I don’t quite have the hang of achieving the proper texture….the first time, it was smooth, silky and really easy to work with. But one of my batches was too dry so it was hard to roll out and cracked at the cake corners (I was covering a 9"x13” layer cake). If made correctly, I think it’s a good recipe to use.

Michelle Fosters recipe looks interesting…I may try that one first, before I give up on homemade smile

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I should add, I’ve used Rose’s fondant recipes (for chocolate and regular white) and I did experience some cracking with the chocolate—but that is to be expected.  The white fondant had small cracks but I’m inexperienced and I was covering a 6” high cake—I did find rubbing a little shortening mixed with icing sugar helped mask the cracks.  IF I ever make a cake again that requires fondant, I may set up a humidifier in the room.  It’s incredibly dry here at times and I’m sure that contributed to the white fondant issues I had.

Posted: 30 April 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Sophia, I might try your recipe too.  Macs Mom’s has great reviews too.  I know I don’t really like fondant,  but homemade does taste better than store bought.  Store bought always seems to have a chemical after taste.

Sherrie,  I forgot that Rose does have a recipe for fondant.  I did try the chocolate one once, and I found it extremely dry and cracked all over.  I wonder if using less icing sugar would help matters, and maybe adding some gycerine.  I must try that too.  I remember that I actually didn’t mind the taste,  it kind of tasted like a tootsie roll.

Posted: 30 April 2013 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, that’s a wonderful cake, I’ll bet your friend’s grandson was thrilled!  So sorry it stressed you out, I can only imagine how time-consuming and challenging that cake must have been. 

I’m in the process of making/working with TCB choco fondant right now, I can offer a few notes smile

First, don’t use Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa unless you want the fondant to be black, I mean really black.  I just made a second batch with a different cocoa because the first looked too unappetizing.  I’ll try to freeze it and maybe bring it out for Halloween.

Second, the thing about cocoas having different fat contents comes into play. My first batch, I figured it might not matter because the cocoa is never melted but rather just used as a powder to get the right consistency.  Turns out the low-fat cocoa absorbs more water, I had to add about a tablespoon more water just to get it to absorb all the sugar/cocoa, and even then it was very stiff.  I also needed to work in a little shortening before it would roll.

For the second batch, I used 10g less cocoa, I’m going to go roll it soon, I’ll report back on results.  The color is good, I used Ghiradelli.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 30 April 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Julie.

I am looking forward to hearing your report.  The cocoa powder that I use is from the bulk barn.  I don’t know the brand but they call it ruddy red.  It has a 22/24% fat content.

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

As I recall, the type of shortening used also has an effect on Rose’s fondant recipes.  I think the brand now recommended by Rose is Spectrum Organics shortening.  It’s impossible to find in small quantities in Canada.  Luckily a close (ok 300 km away) cherry orchard/pie business had some commercial quantities and they were kind enough to sell me some.

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I don’t think I can get my hands on Spectrum shortening.  You are lucky to have found a supplier.  I hope you stock up for the year when you do buy it.  LOL

I drive about 75km to get my chocolate at a lindt factory outlet.  They sell the couverture chocolate in 2.5 kg bags at a great price.  I usually go twice a year and stock up.  Oddly enough I go through all of it.

Posted: 01 May 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Liza - 01 May 2013 12:41 PM

I don’t think I can get my hands on Spectrum shortening.

Liza, you can buy a 24oz tub through Amazon.com….they’ll ship that product across the border.
I’d inquired about the availability of the shortening at Whole Foods a while ago when I noticed they carried some of the Spectrum oils. The grocery manager thought that the French labelling might be the issue preventing distribution here ie not worth it for Spectrum to do.

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Hey Liza—that cake looks great.  How good of of you to have bothered with making a character.  I have decided I will not do “novelty” cakes.  period. 

Re: fondant.  I am hearing that Fondarific is good.  You may order a sample from them directly.  It is also available at Amazon. 

http://fondarific.com/

and there are a couple of imported fondants that I hear are good.  I have a sample of the fondarific but cannot bring myself to taste it.  LOL

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.