Favorite quick dessert for guests
Posted: 30 April 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

What is your favorite quick easy dessert for when people come over that tastes great too?  I think mine is a doctored up cake mix cake (I know, but it’s quick)

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

In no particular order:
1.  Rose’s Chocolate Semi-Freddo (on the website).
2.  Brownies from Christmas cookie book—super easy!
3.  Keep frosting in freezer and make cupcakes (just whip up cake batter).
4.  Bundt Cake—no frosting required, feeds many people, put together quickly (like:  lemon poppy seed cake)
5.  Apple/fruit crisp—I have a pretty simple recipe that can be scaled up to feed a pile of people and is easy to make.
6.  Whip Cream Cake from RHC.

Posted: 01 May 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s Chocolate Oblivion- three ingredients, ready in no time, always impresses.  It’s so rich and intense that you really don’t need any accompaniments, but you can whip cream or buy ice cream if you feel like it.  Often I just take a potato peeler to a block of Callebaut and make a bunch of shavings to cover the top, takes about five minutes.  A cup of coffee or a glass of Banyuls and you have a glorious finale to a meal.

I also like to make a chocolate bundt cake, glaze with dark ganache (often there are leftovers in the freezer, which I melt), and serve with vanilla ice cream.  I have had people tell me they love this more than any other cake.  I was surprised because it was a simple cake with recycled glaze and store-bought ice cream, but the combination is the perfect cake-and-ice-cream fix.

In the summer I make the ice cream cake from RHC- no syrup, no frosting, fill with Haagen Daz strawberry ice cream and pop in the freezer until needed.

Apple galettes- I make them from Rose’s cream cheese flaky pie crust, fruit, lemon juice and sugar.  The crust doesn’t need to be parbaked, the fruit doesn’t need to be macerated, and it’s delicious.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

The chioc oblivion is in rhc correct.?

Posted: 01 May 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I think it’s as baby oblivions—the full size is in TCB.

Posted: 18 May 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Chocolate mousse all the way.  Mix up some cocoa powder, whipped cream, sugar, and a few other ingredients and voila!  Dessert.

‹‹ My Grandmother      Buying rhc ››