baby shower cupcakes
Posted: 30 April 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

I have been asked to make 2 dozen cupcakes for a baby shower this weekend. Does anyone have experience with which of Rose’s cakes work best for cupcakes? They do not want chocolate, and I have both RHC and Cake Bible.
I had planned to use a cream cheese frosting which I’ve already made, but was just informed that the mom to be has been craving raspberries. Can anyone advise me as to whether it would work to add Rose’s raspberry conserve to the cream cheese frosting and also whether it would be firm enough to pipe?
Thanks for the help.

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

In the baby cakes section of RHC there are some cupcake recipes.  But I had an interesting thought…the lemon chiffon cake made delicious cupcakes, moist and soft… and would be wonderful with a raspberry whipped cream (light too…though not in calories..)—I think Rose has a recipe or two for raspberry whipped creams.  I would be reluctant to add raspberry puree/conserve to cream cheese frostings as they are usually soft and I can’t see it holding up.  Of course, since you have the cr. cheese. frosting made, you could always do a small test (make some puree..and see). 

FYI—when I made the cupcakes I used the orange glow technique from RHC but based it on the recipe from TCB—I think the flour used is AP (Can’t remember…it was over 1 year ago) ... PM me if you want to know precisely what I did.

Posted: 01 May 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Do you have The Joy of Cooking?  If you do, the Buttermilk Cake in that book is a delicious, basic butter cake that you can bake as cupcakes (I’ve done it) and I’m sure would be delicious with raspberries.

Posted: 01 May 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I second Sherrie’s idea, I just love chiffon cupcakes and lemon pairs so nicely with raspberries.  They bake up flat rather than domed and do shrink a bit, but they are so delicious.  You could leave the cream cheese frosting as is and just top each cupcake with a number of fresh raspberries.

Or, you could make them from a thick batter yellow cake, like the golden almond cake, and fold whole raspberries into the batter. 

Or, you could fill the centers with raspberry puree or conserve and top them with fresh raspberries.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 May 2013 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

thanks so much for the replies. I’ll try the lemon chiffon cupcakes but am a little afraid of trying to pipe a whipped cream frosting. I already made the raspberry conserve so am thinking I’ll make raspberry mousseline or raspberry silk meringue buttercream. I know the mousseline has a reputation for being more stable, so do I assume that it will pipe a little better also?

Posted: 02 May 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Mousseline is probably the firmest and most stable for piping.  However, I have piped the strawberry cloud cream on several different occasions (see the Strawberry Maria, it is covered with piping) and it pipes perfectly.  It helps to chill both the frosting (after whipping) and the cake it will be piped on, and to take action if your hands are warm, but the gelatin definitely stabilizes the cream enough to pipe and hold its shape.  And whipped cream is the ultimate delicious pairing with chiffon cake, my favorite combo.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Whipped cream frostings can actually be a real treat to pipe and are usually very simple to make once the puree/conserve is prepared!  You may want to choose your frosting strictly based on the storage/serving conditions.  If you need longer room temperature holding time, the Mouselline is the way to go, but a whipped cream frosting on a chiffon cake will store in the fridge and can be served cold since the cake and cream both stay soft.  I’ve never tried the RSMBC, but from experience, the SMBC are a little softer, but still very nice to work with for piping.  I think RSMBC would be a very nice frosting—creme anglaise and raspberry would be fabulous.  You have a very delicious decision to make smile

Edit:  Had this written prior to Julie’s post, but only posting now.

Posted: 04 May 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

Thank you so much everyone. I’ve decided to make raspberry mousseline but have a quick question. The recipe calls for raspberry puree to be added to the finished product, and I have Rose’s raspberry conserve already made. Is there any reason that I couldn’t use that instead?

Posted: 04 May 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve never tried it with the conserve…I assume it’s thicker and possibly sweeter than the puree.  Usually Rose has considered flavour/sweetness/etc. so I don’t substitute very often. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Posted: 07 May 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up using an old lemon cupcake recipe of my own and then frosting half of them with raspberry SMB and the other half with cream cheese icing. My niece is visiting so I am able to attach a couple of photos. When placed on the cupcake tree they looked like a bouquet of roses. Very well received at the baby shower.

Image Attachments
Cupcakes.jpegCupcakes3-small.jpg

Posted: 07 May 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I love them!  They do look like a bouquet of roses!  How was the raspberry SMB (I assume silk meringue—not swiss meringue,right?)?  Nicely done—I bet the lucky mom-to-be was impressed.

Posted: 07 May 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Those are gorgeous, love the piping, the raspberry trim, the pretty papers, everything!  Very nicely done smile

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

Thank you Sherrie and Julie for your kind words. Yes, it was the silk meringue buttercream. I formerly only used the mousseline, but lately have been using the SMB and find it easier and more flavorful.
It was fun to be able to post the pictures. I’ll probably have to wait until my niece visits again to post again.

‹‹ "Sprinkle Bakes" Baking Blog      "Rose’s"? ››