Cocoa Brownies
Posted: 03 May 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-05-03

Hi Rose and all, Tried baking your Cocoa Brownies from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book today.  The center of the brownies rise up higher and cracked, and could not bake evenly.  The center was baked only after 55 mins (on 160C).  By the time the center of the brownies is baked, the sides are over baked.  Would you/anyone please help to provide some suggestions?

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

I think the general concensus with Brownies is that the centre should not be FULLY baked but still a little moist when tested toward the end of baking.  I’ve always understood that when the edges are baked and the centre, when tested with a skewer, should show a little moisture is the time to take them out.  Do others agree?

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-05-03

Just that it is not just moist but still quite runny when I tested the center.  Does it usually rise & crack in the middle?

Posted: 03 May 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi leephing, welcome to the forum.

I would agree with Jeanette that the centre should be moist but definitely not runny as you describe, and the surface should be dry looking and slightly cracked but level. I haven’t made this recipe but have made several that are similar in that they don’t call for leavening or aeration of the batter and I’ve definitely never experienced what you describe. My first thought is pan size…..did you use the 8” square pan that’s recommended? Oven temperature may be a factor…..do you know it to be accurate?

I’m sure more knowledgeable forum members would have other suggestions for you but I must say I’m tempted to bake a batch myself - they look so easy and have received great reviews on this forum smile

Posted: 03 May 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

We bake the cocoa brownies a lot- so easy and very delicious.  They should bake to an internal temp of about 185F, which is lower than the 190F+ temps that most cakes are baked to.  At the point that they are done, the sides have just begun to rise and puff, but the center is still a little dipped, it won’t have puffed yet.  After cooling they are flat.

It does sound like your pan is larger than called for, or it is dark or glass and needs to have the oven reduced 25F to compensate, or maybe the oven is running hot.  Could any of those be the problem?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
leephing - 03 May 2013 12:01 PM

Hi Rose and all, Tried baking your Cocoa Brownies from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book today.  The center of the brownies rise up higher and cracked, and could not bake evenly.  The center was baked only after 55 mins (on 160C).  By the time the center of the brownies is baked, the sides are over baked.  Would you/anyone please help to provide some suggestions?

You may be using a dark pan that will tend to cook the outsides faster. Reduce the temperature. Also, you should consider using bake-even strips around the outside of the pan, which will slow the cooking of the edges.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 May 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-05-03

Thanks for all the warm responses smile  The recipe indeed looks really simple and so I will definitely try again.  The cake pan is 8x8 square greyish non-stick pan. 

Charles, I didn’t use any bake-even stripe because the recipe did not call for it.  But it does look like the sides are baked faster.  So I plan to change it to the light silver pan when I bake again.

Julie, did u adjusted it much lower to 185 F and for how long would it then take to bake?  The temperature that I use is 160C (recipe stated 325F).

Posted: 03 May 2013 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, L!

Welcome!  Julie’s 185 F is the internal temp when the brownies are done—not the baking temp.

You all are making me crave those crusty and chewy edges!

—ak

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-05-03

Oh I see smile regarding the internal temperature.  Am so tempted to bake it again too!!!

Posted: 05 May 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, 185F is the temperature that an instant read thermometer shows for the center of the center when they are done. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

‹‹ R2D2 Cake      Military helmet cake ››