“Rose’s”?
Posted: 03 May 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Hi!

I’m new on the forum so I’m sure there’s something I’m not getting, but whenever somebody asks for a recipe, I’ve noticed they always say “which of Rose’s cakes” or “which of Rose’s cookies, or pies, or cupcakes…” Is it a rule that since this is Rose’s blog, you shouldn’t discuss other cooks, or is it just preference that they want to use Rose’s recipes?

Thanks!  smile

Love_To_Bake

Posted: 03 May 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Love_To_Bake. It’s preference. There are active discussions on other books and other recipes but most of us, I believe, prefer Rose’s recipes. I feel, if you are going to take the time and go to the expense of baking, why not bake the best. That does not mean I don’t bake other recipes. I enjoy trying a wide variety of recipes. But when it really matters that the cake be delicious and fool-proof, it is Rose’s recipes I turn to.

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

And I heartily agree with Flourgirl !  Once you’ve used Rose’s recipes, most others do not match up to hers.  There are other good ones of course, Rose includes some of them herself in her books, but she never lets you down, every little detail is thought of, leaving the baker confident to use her recipes.  Once tried, always confident of good results! grin

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

What about the posts where the person posting baked some of her recipes , followed every direction but failed ? Is it the baker/poster that did something wrong ?:-)

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

No-one can guarantee success in every recipe, there are too many variables, ovens, pans, humidity, etc., etc.  But allowing for all of these, and Rose does offer advice in most of her recipes to cover these sort of things, I am still pleased with the bakes I have made, and the results even allowing for the fact that I am in the UK and can’t get all of the ingredients as specified, ie. cake flour!  There is always good advice and help here to those who do have problems anyway.

Posted: 03 May 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-12-02

Hi Love to Bake,
The reason we ask on blogger’s comments if it is one of Rose’s recipes, is so we can check our notes, tests, photos, and possibly referring bloggers to another part of the book or other books to give the best answer for the inquiry. At times, we will even run a test to confirm a recipe in question and/or add more details for the blogger to achieve success.
We do welcome inquiries about recipes from other authors but may not have a viable answer if we have not made the recipe or are not familiar with the baked dessert. Also, it is always best to contact the author who is the best source for solving a problem.
Rose & Woody

Posted: 05 May 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16
Love_To_Bake - 03 May 2013 02:33 PM

Is it a rule that since this is Rose’s blog, you shouldn’t discuss other cooks

More of a loose guideline.  It is Rose’s blog and forum, and all of her recipes are welcomed for Show & Tell, Q&A, etc.  On occasion, we venture into other authors/recipes (including our own), especially if it is for something that Rose hasn’t published a recipe for (like macarons or flour/milk-based frosting).  Rose herself reviews and recommends other authors’ books/recipes, so it doesn’t seem like we need to keep strict limits on posting about non-Rose stuff.  But for the most part that is the exception, rather than the rule.

As Woody points out, over on the blog it is best to limit questions to Rose’s recipes, as they cannot spare the time involved to try to trouble-shoot other authors’ recipes. If they started doing that, we’d have to wait ten years between books, instead of five!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 05 May 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 05 May 2013 03:55 PM
Love_To_Bake - 03 May 2013 02:33 PM

Is it a rule that since this is Rose’s blog, you shouldn’t discuss other cooks

If they started doing that, we’d have to wait ten years between books, instead of five!

TEN YEARS!!  Hush!!  LOL

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.