1 of 2
December Holidays
Posted: 25 November 2007 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

I would love to hear what types of holidays are being celebrated by members of the forum in the next month.  Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa ... or any other winter holidays observed and celebrated around the world.

What are your plans?  What are your traditions?  And most of all ... tell us about the food you create and share to celebrate!

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 25 November 2007 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

Christmas here, on the eastern shore…  not many traditions for me… just as long as I get the filled lebkuchen done this week, I’m a happy girl… it’s typically a busy time of year, where I work, so most of my energy is there.. and my daughter and I don’t exchange gifts… it makes it so much easier, and we can spend the day together, and just have fun… her BF lets her have christmas the day before…

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 26 November 2007 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

We celebrate Christmas in our house as well.  My daughter will be three in a couple of weeks and this is the first year she is really starting to get the whole Christmas deal, so I’m excited.

One of the traditions I have is to bake about 2,500 cookies and mail them to friends and family around the country, something I’ve done since I was a teenager.  Unfortunately, funds are extremely tight this year, so I’ll have to suspend the tradition until next year ... but I’ll still be making cookies for home and family here.

I’ve been doing my best to explain Christmas to Katie (my daughter) in terms she can understand.  I’ve told her about Santa Claus and how he leaves presents under the tree for good little boys and girls ... and since we’re Christian, I’m also trying to stress that Christmas, for us, is also Jesus’ birthday.  I can see her little mind processing all this information and I’m thinking I’ve done a pretty good job of it ... until she looked at me the other day and said, “Mommy.  Christmas is Jesus’ birthday ... but I get the presents!!!”, LOL.  I told my pastor yesterday that apparently she will have to straighten this out since Mommy clearly is making a mess of the whole thing wink

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 26 November 2007 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-16

We celebrate Christmas here.  As the kids have gotten older (now 15 and 12) the traditions have changed.  We used to have 24 wrapped Christmas books that were opened one per night, until the big day.  Now I find a book they haven’t read and seperate it into 12 sections and give them a section per night (starting on the 12th).  We also have the 12 days of cookies—-a different cookie from the 12th to the 24th——many of them coming from Rose’s Christmas Cookies.  They still leave a snack for Santa and write him letters——this could be the last year for that I’m afraid. Time will tell.

Posted: 26 November 2007 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

In my family, we celebrate Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve.

Last year, I made a buche de Noel, tourtiere, and espresso cookies (click here for details on these endeavours) and I plan to make these again every year. smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 November 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-23

We celebrate Christmas and Boxing Day.

Slow Food Darwin will put on an amazing sounding cooking class in 2 weeks using local ingredients for the Christmas meal.

David Taylor and Oliver Budack have put together some fabulous ideas for the Christmas table. Join them at CDU to prepare a small feast in the kitchen and then retire to the dining room for lunch with matched wines.

The class participants and chef will prepare the following dishes:

Green paw paw rice paper rolls with dipping sauce
Local coconut tempura prawns with Hoianese chilli marmalade
Vodka laced rosella sorbet
Local reef fish fillets with lemongrass and ginger wrapped in banana leaves, char grilled
Mango salsa
Carpaccio of buffalo (if available) with local limes, capers and parmesan, drizzled with Australian extra virgin olive oil
Seasonal vegetables: snake beans, sweet potato.
Warm chocolate pudding with fresh mango icecream (and a quandong drizzle if available)

Needless to say I have booked in!  My involvement with Slow Food has helped me revel in local ingredients.  Although I am still a sucker for Christmas Turkey.

Posted: 27 November 2007 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-27

We celebrate Christmas Day with a traditional dinner mid-afternoon (it’s never ready for midday, despite our best efforts). Turkey, roast potatoes, brussels sprouts, stuffing, bread sauce among others, then pudding with coins wrapped and hidden in it (hold on to your teeth!).

Posted: 27 November 2007 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

We do turkey for Thanksgiving, but always ham on Christmas Day.  A lot of Italian-American families I know make lasagna, but that was never a tradition in my family ... most likely because we are northern Italian and it just doesn’t seem to be common amongst the northern Italian families I know.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2583
Joined  2007-11-15

My Italian-American home never served lasagna on the holidays, but I knew a few that did.

Our family celebrates Christmas Eve - cold buffet which always includes shrimp cocktail, Christmas - ham or turkey with all the usual side dishes, and New Year’s Eve - pork and saurkraut - and lots of snacks for the countdown.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 28 November 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

New York Jew here…although completely unobservant.  My usual Chanukah meal: Mushroom barley soup, Standing rib roast, potato pancakes, carrots and cheese cake!

Posted: 30 November 2007 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Bill- arent your sister coming to your place on Christmas? i can’t forget “what are sisters for” and expecting your creations’ photo. btw- i have no brother, only one sister with no interest in cooking (eating is her only hobby; she’s a doctor!)

Posted: 30 November 2007 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Nushera:
My sister and I are both Jewish…so Christmas isn’t really that big a deal for us.  However, My sister’s husband is Catholic and my significant other is Russian Orthodox, so Christmas is important to them.  My sister will be celebrating Christmas with her Husband’s family (a really large family)...and I will be cooking Christmas dinner for my Significant other (who has no family here in NY) and for a few close friends.

Posted: 01 December 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Christmas is always pretty low-key for me. I did not grow up celebrating it in any capacity (my parents were not Christians, nor were they religious), but since I’ve been married (9 years), I’ve always made a special Christmas dinner with an open invitation to any friends who didn’t have anywhere to go (usually that means fellow co-workers who also have to work through the holidays and can’t go home to families).

This year Christmas Eve will be pretty mellow. I’ll probably be working another 14 hour shift at the bakery, so I think we’ll be going out for dinner so that I can get some time to sleep during the day. I’d also like to go see a holiday movie that evening (one of the few times out of the year I can actually go to a movie.

On Christmas Day, I’ll be making:

Roasted Goose w/
Harvest Chestnut Dressing (which includes dried cranberries, dried cherries, and pecans), &
Cherry-Port Sauce

Fingerling potatoes roasted in goose fat
Roasted winter vegetables (carrot, parsnip, rutabaga, celery root, turnip, olive oil, and fresh herbs)
Whole grain bread

Dessert will be a pumpkin cream cheese pie in a crust made of Fiber One cereal (really, it’s very tasty!) flavored with cinnamon and a little brown sugar.

I’m toying with the idea of not making the dressing this year in favor of making a butternut squash risotto with chestnuts and cranberries, it all depends on how much energy I have, since I can practically make dressing/stuffing blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back smile.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 December 2007 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-01

Christmas, I am a Christmas NUT! My family think I am crazy, lol, all things Christmas all the time this season. I am making the cheesecake with apricot swirls for Christmas day from the cake bible.

Signature 

Visit my cupcake blog
http://cupcakegypsy.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 December 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-17

Christmas for my family is now downsized since we moved to Florida 25 years ago. My younger sister lives in Sleepy Hollow, NY and is married to a jewish guy.  What’s left of my family is here in Florida; nothing like I grew up with at home on Long Island. We had a huge Italian family with aunts, uncles and cousins.  I always make the desserts no matter where we go.  This year, I will have Christmas Eve at my house.  Although we are not really practicing Catholics, we like to have an all-fish dinner.  When I plan a party, I always look for new ideas in food but also use a few of my traditional recipes.  I will make my grandmother’s cheesecake for dessert.  It is an interesting combination of cream cheese, ricotta cheese and sour cream.  The original recipe had a Zwieback crust, but I updated it to a graham cracker crust instead.  We will have a pasta dish with fish or stuffed manicotti with fresh marinara sauce, fried eggplant, a dried fig and balsamic vinegar salad and freshly made bread. I will find some nice appetizers from my cookbooks too. We have TERRIBLE stores for food here in Clearwater.  No bakeries that I can buy Italian pastries and no bakeries with fresh bread. It is very sad but the people here just are not into good food and markets.  I do miss New York for markets and food sources but have learned to make my own desserts to satisfy me and my family.  We stay home for Christmas day and I make a rib roast with popovers and fresh vegetables. No lasagna for us as we usually over eat on Christmas Eve. I do remember my Mom making a big lasagna on Christmas Day.  Lorraine

Posted: 02 December 2007 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

We’ll cook something a bit special for Christmas dinner, but nothing more elaborate.

I do like to make some appetizer type snacks to have on Christmas Eve, just for the fun of it. Memories of long-ago parties linger I suppose. smile (And I do adore appetizers.)

1 of 2