Making Kate flour… And failing !!
Posted: 09 May 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

I ve had success with this once in the past, but the past few times I tried microwaving the flour, it just wouldn’t get to 130 ! I think I must have stood outside the microwave stirring the flour every 10 seconds for at least 35 minutes ! I reached 100 degrees Celsius but it kind of drove me mental… Any reason ? Is 100 degrees enough ? Also this flour that reached 100 can I try again withy the same flour ?

Posted: 10 May 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

I haven’t made Kate flour but lack of knowledge has never stopped me from offering my opinion. Microwave ovens heat primarily by exciting water molecules. I would imagine that if your flour were very dry it wouldn’t heat well. Microwaving would dry the flour so repeat treatment would make it harder to heat. The temperature may not be the most important measure. Otherwise why not just put the flour in a conventional oven? With all of the differences in flour and microwave ovens it must be difficult to be definitive about process. Some experimenting seems inevitable.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 May 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 10 May 2013 05:24 PM

I would imagine that if your flour were very dry it wouldn’t heat well.

That was my first thought as well, so it must be true.  wink

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 May 2013 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thank you, never thought of that.. Do you reckon rehydrating the flour with boiling water steam and then microwaving would work ?

Posted: 13 May 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Why don’t you ask Kate, she has a blog called A Merrier World, I think you’ll find the details on Rose’s blog page.

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
chocoholic - 13 May 2013 08:16 AM

Thank you, never thought of that.. Do you reckon rehydrating the flour with boiling water steam and then microwaving would work ?

The purpose of the heating is to reduce the moisture content of the flour; it doesn’t make sense to introduce moisture merely to remove it again. Perhaps the flour is already dry enough to use if you can’t heat it?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

http://amerrierworld.com/kate-flour/

This is the link to Kate instructions. Note step #7 has instructions for rehydrating flour that has been dried from previous steps. I imagine you could repeat the heat treatment after the rehydration step. It all seems a bit of a bother doesn’t it? I would be inclined to start with fresh flour and possibly doing a step #7 prior. If you don’t want to discard the previous experimental subject you could use that flour for pancakes or mixed into some bread.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 15 May 2013 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

I suppose only ay to know if it s ok would be to bake a cake and see what happens : )