Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie
Posted: 09 May 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Made this several months ago and haven’t had a chance to post. This is Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie from PPB. It uses Rose’s cream cheese pie crust - my favorite. I also love how pretty this pie. It’s pretty much the only apple pie I made and have made it several times (lost count grin). The leaf cutouts are made by hand and it takes a while to do but I love doing it and love the results. I brought it to a gathering at a friend’s house and everyone loved it - as you can see from my friend’s thumbs up wink.

Image Attachments
DSC_9712.jpgDSC_9726.jpgDSC_9675.jpgDSC_9696.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 May 2013 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Ooooo, pretty!  Yours is a picture-perfect rendition of this pie, especially your beautiful leaves, they are gorgeous smile

I just love this pie, I think it is the one recipe from the PPB that I have repeated again and again.  The crust stays crispy, the apples are open-faced so they need minimal cornstarch, the cream cheese crust is a perfect match for the apples, it is just great eating all around.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 May 2013 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh Jenn, that is beautiful!!!  Picture perfect. Your pictures make me yearn to try this recipe.  I have made Rose’s regular apple pie, but not this one.  The design of the apples looks so intricate.  Is it difficult to assemble?

What type of apples did you use if you don’t mind me asking.

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Julie. The leaves are my favorite part. They are so pretty. Added bonus of them hiding the imperfections of the edge of the crust!

Liza, make it make it! It’s not difficult to assemble, just a bit time consuming. But you have tackled far more complicated projects with all the fancy cakes. This will be a breeze for you!!! For these I use a combo of braeburn and pink lady. I think usually for apple pie golden delicious is recommended but I have found that I like the sweeter apples. I’m looking forward to seeing your rendition now (hint hint…  wink ).

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Jenn, what a spectacular pie!  I’ve thought about making it on so many occasions, but have never followed through.  Your rendition is inspiring me to do so, too.  I love the flavour of the cream cheese crust, but I find it shrinks alot—even after freezing/resting in fridge (yes, I use a scale/right flour/updated all cream version/food processor).  The best success I’ve had is with Wondra flour, but I can’t get my hands on it as I am in Canada ... do you have any suggestions?  or do you find it shrinks?  Your pie doesn’t look like it shrank much at all.  Of course technique is critical with pastry.  I don’t think I’m really far off with the crust—I just wish it wouldn’t shrink so much.

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Sherrie, I use Pastry Flour from Arrowhead Mills. It’s made of whole grain soft wheat flour and made the crust so much tastier. I’ve tried this pie crust once with bleached AP and found it lacking taste. My crust usually shrinks a bit only. I don’t know if it’s because of the type of flour that I use or also because I freeze the shell for an hour before baking or both but it works so I keep doing it this way hehe. See if you can find this flour where you’re at. It’s really good IMO.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Now, that looks so perfect…Now I want to make pie.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 May 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

That pie is stunning! It is a work of art.

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Wow that’s gorgeous!

Posted: 20 May 2013 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Wow, amazing job on the pie! I love love love your photos!