Advice on recipe for chinese bakery style fluffy cake
Posted: 14 May 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-07

Hello, just wondering if anyone has anything to say about what recipe I might use to make cakes like you find in a chinese bakery. These are light and fluffy, not that sweet, usually filled and frosted with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Google turns up some recipes of people trying to recreate the chinese bakery cakes. Some people use chiffon, some use a sponge cake with syrup. I’ve not made chiffon cake before and only made genoise twice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Holly Gates

Signature 

http://tooling-up.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Hi Holly,

The Chinese bakery cake is pretty mysterious, isn’t it? It tastes a lot like a chiffon to me, but they aren’t baked in tube pans! I asked Hector Wong about it, and he said it’s a biscuit de Savoie. I tried the recipe for biscuit de Savoie in The Cake Bible and syruped it, but it still doesn’t taste like what I get at the Chinese bakeries. Perhaps their recipe is different from Rose’s. I’m not sure.

Posted: 15 May 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

In RHC, Rose has a chiffon baked in a round layer cake pan, perhaps that is worth a try?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

Interesting! I didn’t know chiffons can be baked in a round layer pan. I thought it needed the tube for support. I’ll need to check out that recipe!

Posted: 16 May 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2012-01-12

That is steamed sponge cake. I am Asian and I know what I’m talking about grin

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I just bought some of these today at the Asian market

Posted: 18 May 2013 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

Oh no…most definitely not the steamed sponge cake (ma la gao) commonly served as a dim sum item. We are talking about the Chinese birthday cake filled with fresh fruits and frosted with super stabilized whipped cream. I am Chinese and have eaten the Chinese birthday cake all my life. It’s definitely not the ma la gao. The closest thing to it is really chiffon.

Posted: 19 May 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hello,
OK I found this:  http://nancybaked.blogspot.com/2010/04/chinese-bakery-sponge-cake.html

From the looks of it,  this might be the one you are looking for..